Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
check out this thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ooting-220195/
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa1911
hmmm.... good idea to change the filter, sounds like it needed it. Toyota manual says it doesn't need to be replaced but it's a FILTER; does make you wonder...

I use the Lucas injector cleaner every month or so in all 3 of my vehicles and never have any issues, I don't think that would be the cause of the dirty filter though.
Maybe cause the truck was sitting for about 1 year until he put a motor and trans in it. My guess is rust and dirt in the tank. Wont know until i drop the gas tank and look inside.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
that's probably because you're geared dead on for 33's and you have 5speed.

a STOCK 3vz pickup or 4runner (stock 28" tires) will be pretty good power wise.
hhmmmmm maybe, but mine came stock with 31s and 4:56. so now it's close to stock performance, I'm just glad I dont have the problem of "slow" many have. BUT when it was auto....FORGET IT. That trans is weak.

Anyway, I've changed my fuel filter twice in my runner's lifetime and both times they were very dirty....
Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 808-3VZE
Its not forced injection bro!!!
Sorry not you i meant to the guy sayin hes runnin alcohol injection on his runner with a 3OH. Im interested because id love to throw a turbo on my truck
Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Maybe cause the truck was sitting for about 1 year until he put a motor and trans in it. My guess is rust and dirt in the tank. Wont know until i drop the gas tank and look inside.
Going to drop the tank tomorrow and see whats up in there. Got a super clean xtra fuel tank on the side. Let u guys know who it works out!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Bought a truck with similar history, sat for a long time. The tank was rusted to hell, and the previous owner didn't know. He drove it, and the sock in the fuel tank tore from the pressure and the rust against it. It sent the ruse to the filter, which inevitably let rust through and wrecked havoc on my entire fuel system. Cleaned it all up, send the injectors to witchhunter performance, replaced the tank and the fuel pump and it runs like a top now, it was barely running on 5 cylinders and made next to no power. Good luck with the tank.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by norcal93
Bought a truck with similar history, sat for a long time. The tank was rusted to hell, and the previous owner didn't know. He drove it, and the sock in the fuel tank tore from the pressure and the rust against it. It sent the ruse to the filter, which inevitably let rust through and wrecked havoc on my entire fuel system. Cleaned it all up, send the injectors to witchhunter performance, replaced the tank and the fuel pump and it runs like a top now, it was barely running on 5 cylinders and made next to no power. Good luck with the tank.
Thanks! I hope the rust is only in the tank not in the entire fuel system!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm having the same exact problem with my yota. Its a 95 same 3.0 3vze engine. I know its lacking power because sometimes when I crank up and get started down the road I can feel the horsepower kick up to normal for about 3 seconds then it just bogs back down for the rest of the drive. I have changed the fuel filter, checked the injectors, cleaned electrical plugs, changed the o2 sensor, changed plugs and wires. I am in the process of a valve adjustment so I hope that will help. I also fixed my spark plugs which 2 wouldn't screw in but half way and the other 1 like 1/3 of the way, and I'm only sure that 1 was screwing all the way down in the first place. I got a spark plug chaser at napa to rethread/clean the cylinders and now they all screw down. I hope this was the problem. After setting my valve clearances and putting the engine back together I'm going to adjust my ignition timing which hasn't even been checked since I reinstalled my timing belt last. After all said and done I expect to get a little more hp outa the engine and if not then I'm at a loss of what it could be because I don't have a check engine light on. The good thing is that I picked up some shims from the junk yard out of a camry so I hope they are the same kind used in the pickup. I got about 8 shims for 2 bucks.

Last edited by wbthornton88; 10-02-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by wbthornton88
I'm having the same exact problem with my yota. Its a 95 same 3.0 3vze engine. I know its lacking power because sometimes when I crank up and get started down the road I can feel the horsepower kick up to normal for about 3 seconds then it just bogs back down for the rest of the drive. I have changed the fuel filter, checked the injectors, cleaned electrical plugs, changed the o2 sensor, changed plugs and wires. I am in the process of a valve adjustment so I hope that will help. I also fixed my spark plugs which 2 wouldn't screw in but half way and the other 1 like 1/3 of the way, and I'm only sure that 1 was screwing all the way down in the first place. I got a spark plug chaser at napa to rethread/clean the cylinders and now they all screw down. I hope this was the problem. After setting my valve clearances and putting the engine back together I'm going to adjust my ignition timing which hasn't even been checked since I reinstalled my timing belt last. After all said and done I expect to get a little more hp outa the engine and if not then I'm at a loss of what it could be because I don't have a check engine light on. The good thing is that I picked up some shims from the junk yard out of a camry so I hope they are the same kind used in the pickup. I got about 8 shims for 2 bucks.
Hope u fix ur problem too!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you checked for stored codes in the ECU? You can have them even with no check engine light...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM

no actually I haven't. Can you tell me how? If there are any I need to clear them out and see if the check engine light comes on correct?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM

no actually I haven't. Can you tell me how? If there are any I need to clear them out and see if the check engine light comes on correct?
Gotta use a obd scan tool to check and clear the codes
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Gotta use a obd scan tool to check and clear the codes
No, you don't.

There's a very clear procedure on here--it takes 5 minutes & a paper clip~. Search ECU stored codes & you'll find it. I don't have time to look it up right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM

autozone does it free.....
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by pbiker11
Sorry not you i meant to the guy sayin hes runnin alcohol injection on his runner with a 3OH. Im interested because id love to throw a turbo on my truck
did you mean forced induction? My 3vze is NA, I just have an alcohol injection system on it as is, gets me a little more power and better gas mileage.... also cleans the engine.

highly recommend alcohol injection for anyone, forced induction or not
Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 AM

UPDATE:
Dropped the tank and found out the tank was rusty and the fuel pump hanger assy was also rusty. I wonder how moisture got in the tank? Changed the tank with new hanger assy, fuel pump and strainer. Also changed the fuel filter too that was also full of rust. RUNS WAY BETTER THAN BEFORE!!! Going to recheck the timing just to make sure. Also going to put some 44K fuel treatment fom bg into the fuel system. Will post pics of the rusty stuff later!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:43 AM

I had the same problem, some of the rust may have made it past the fuel filter, I know mine did. Glad you figured it out.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by norcal93
I had the same problem, some of the rust may have made it past the fuel filter, I know mine did. Glad you figured it out.
Did u clean da injectors?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:52 AM

anybody else???
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Yep, had witchhunter performance overhaul the injectors, one was completely clogged and the others were partially clogged (explains the dead cylinder, and the reason the previous owner though it had a blown head gasket). Witchhunter replaced all the parts that were replaceable and dynod them all to within 1% variance, I highly reccomend them. If the rust made it to the filter, chances are it made it past like mine did, it was a mess in the fuel rails. Mine did a lot more sitting than what it sounds like yours did.

Quick Reply: Help! Lack of power 3VZE