86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! Lack of power 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
i'm not talking big? lmao

you're the one talking big dude hahahahaha

you asked for help..then we proceeded to help you..

then you start another thread about a 3.4 swap...when there is a WHOLE FOLDER DEDICATED TO 3.4SWAPS ON YOTATECH....that's why i said SEARCH.
Well this is my first Toyota truck and i googled the 5vz swap and came to dis site before i got this truck. So if im talking big its because im asking you guys for your help. This truck is nice no rust little ding and dents other than the problem i have its a winner. Nothing personal to you man!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my FSM says .032...i think your book is wrong AA1911 lmao[/quote]

no, you're right, I was thinking of the wife's honda, my bad... .032 is the winner for the 3vz. like I said, time to hang it up...

I'm actually leaving this time, I'll stop posting garbage...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Going to do a fuel pressure test and re-shoot timing see if that helps. anybody else having this problem?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funniest thread name ever lmao

nah but seriously this engine is as slow as semi trucks lol. but it sounds like you have a small problem, im not really sure where to start with this engine, im new to it a bit, know a decent amount about the 22re though . sounds like your timing is off? did you do the jumper wire thing and set it? timing belt off?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 PM

I would also add you do a compression test, it's simple and since this engine is notorious for head gasket failure, not a bad thing to check. It is fairly common for the 3vze to run a bit rough after a while but with aggressive care she will run great.

compression test, timing, plugs/wires, clean/inspect intake and throttle body, check the operation of the EGR, (don't block it off, the engine was designed to run with it), flush your coolant system and replace with some good toyota long life red coolant, make sure oil gets changed in about that order I would say. those are some of the more common causes in many a 3vze from what I've seen on here at least and in my limited personal experience with my one.

I would also check the resistance on all of your engine management sensors with a DMM and make sure they are all within spec/operating correctly.

Oh, one thing you should certainly do is replace the front O2 sensor, these go bad before the CEL will come on; it's kinda like changing your oil, these should be replaced about ever 75k or so; I went from 16mpg to 20mpg with just a new O2 sensor! no joke

as far as power, besides a swap, headers give the most bang for your buck. check out northwest offroad's website, they have some sick lookin' ones for sale

good luck man...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whats up with the "devils own alcohol injection"

i didn't mean to Search google for 3.4 swaps...it'd be better and more narrow to search here on yotatech.

theres nothing wrong with blocking off an EGR system.

the EGR tends to get clogged up with gunk though very often...happened on mine.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM

I love 'em, I have 3 x 'stage II universal kits' that include 2 injector nozzles, sureflo pump, connections/check valve, tubing, progressive controller, fuse and for a little more I got a 2.5 gal tank to go with it.

I run 50/50 mix of dH2O and methanol. I seriously don't know why more people don't use water/alcohol injection, it has nothing but advantages. I get MUCH better gas mileage and a really good dose of extra power (like 15% more). plus on my forced induction, I reduce the chances of detonation although not an issue at 8psi really since I have the fuel mods.

total, each kit costs less than $400 and for the cost of methanol ($6/gal), I more than pay for it in extra fuel economy so other than the initial setup, it's not hard on the wallet. maintenance is pretty easy too

there are something like 20 plus companies selling injection kits, aquamist is very popular as is AEM and a few others. Devil's Own (alcoholinjection.com) has the best bang for your buck in my opinion. many kits run upwards of $1k and offer very few extras over Devil's owns' kits. you can buy vehicle specific kits but the universals will fit on any vehicle.

did I mention I love these kits?? BUY ONE! you'll love it, I promise. if not, come over and beat me up, they really do work well. cleans your engine too (the water)

as for the EGR, I know a lot of folks delete it without any issues but after reading around on it convinced I should do it, I finally decided that it stays. I HATE EGR with a passion, so glad I don't have it on my taco; I cleaned my intake plenum at 150k and it was DISGUSTING!!! full of about a pound of carbon, blahh... what a worthless system.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:36 PM

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/vol...age-2-352.html

this is what I have in my taco and my 4runner. I have another kit NIB for my buddy who I suckered in

I run a 5gph nozzle in my taco and a 2gph in the 3.slow, about 3" pre-TB

yeah baby...
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
funniest thread name ever lmao

nah but seriously this engine is as slow as semi trucks lol. but it sounds like you have a small problem, im not really sure where to start with this engine, im new to it a bit, know a decent amount about the 22re though . sounds like your timing is off? did you do the jumper wire thing and set it? timing belt off?
Thanks i'll look into that
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by aa1911
I would also add you do a compression test, it's simple and since this engine is notorious for head gasket failure, not a bad thing to check. It is fairly common for the 3vze to run a bit rough after a while but with aggressive care she will run great.

compression test, timing, plugs/wires, clean/inspect intake and throttle body, check the operation of the EGR, (don't block it off, the engine was designed to run with it), flush your coolant system and replace with some good toyota long life red coolant, make sure oil gets changed in about that order I would say. those are some of the more common causes in many a 3vze from what I've seen on here at least and in my limited personal experience with my one.

I would also check the resistance on all of your engine management sensors with a DMM and make sure they are all within spec/operating correctly.

Oh, one thing you should certainly do is replace the front O2 sensor, these go bad before the CEL will come on; it's kinda like changing your oil, these should be replaced about ever 75k or so; I went from 16mpg to 20mpg with just a new O2 sensor! no joke

as far as power, besides a swap, headers give the most bang for your buck. check out northwest offroad's website, they have some sick lookin' ones for sale

good luck man...
Thanks! Anybody knows the price for those Northwest v6 3.0 headers?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM

no, they don't list prices for anything, you have to call them (sometimes you will be on hold for a few minutes or so)

my guess is around $600-700. but just a guess. they have great quality products imao.

I know their racing suspension is $1275 for the tacoma, the luxury ride front/rear set is about $1200, HO alternator for the tacos are $450 (the 110a one, actual output is closer to 130a according to NWOR)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM

no, they don't list prices for anything, you have to call them (sometimes you will be on hold for a few minutes or so)

my guess is around $600-700. but just a guess. they have great quality products imao.

I know their racing suspension is $1275 for the tacoma, the luxury ride front/rear set is about $1200, HO alternator for the tacos are $450 (the 110a one, actual output is closer to 130a according to NWOR)
Mean!!! Might as well save up for a 3.4 5zve swap!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM

that's what I'm doing, as said from some other threads, you can polish a turd all day and it will still be a turd....

even a straight 3.4 swap would be awesome.... $3000 is the average cost start to finish...
Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM

that's what I'm doing, as said from some other threads, you can polish a turd all day and it will still be a turd....

even a straight 3.4 swap would be awesome.... $3000 is the average cost start to finish...
Going to look at a 96 tacoma 3.4 5spd truck dis weekend. Hope i can get a deal on this engine its 100% complete nothing missing!!! Let u know who it turns out!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM

What's with all this 3.slow BS.. Mine rocks, and its a manual swap with 33s and 4:88 gears. It does hills easy and has GREAT Acceleration.... It's not slow, you're just in a hurry
Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that's probably because you're geared dead on for 33's and you have 5speed.

a STOCK 3vz pickup or 4runner (stock 28" tires) will be pretty good power wise.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM

Forget to mention that the fuel filter was extremely dirty!!! Looked like muddy water. This happened after the previous owner put Lucas fuel treatment cleaner in the gas. I guess that it loosened up the dirt and rust that was in the tank. I think thats why lack of power!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 PM

How are yo0u running forced injection on the 3vze?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by pbiker11
How are yo0u running forced injection on the 3vze?
Its not forced injection bro!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 808-3VZE
Forget to mention that the fuel filter was extremely dirty!!! Looked like muddy water. This happened after the previous owner put Lucas fuel treatment cleaner in the gas. I guess that it loosened up the dirt and rust that was in the tank. I think thats why lack of power!!!
hmmm.... good idea to change the filter, sounds like it needed it. Toyota manual says it doesn't need to be replaced but it's a FILTER; does make you wonder...

I use the Lucas injector cleaner every month or so in all 3 of my vehicles and never have any issues, I don't think that would be the cause of the dirty filter though.

Quick Reply: Help! Lack of power 3VZE