Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help Balljoint spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJM
Nothing would be wrong with them, working on a build list and info for a late 80's truck/runner to be a trail rig. I wondered if there was any real benefit besides stiffness.
Just remember that they higher the spring rate (larger diameter the bar) the less flex you'll get, all things else being equal.

Fred
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is a thread with some picks of BJ spacers installed.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...uestion-58081/

FredTJ is right, no need for bigger t bars unless your going to add significant weight to the front end or do high speed stuff.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
Just remember that they higher the spring rate (larger diameter the bar) the less flex you'll get, all things else being equal.

Fred

Thats what I have heard Fred, I figure unless I had an ARB and a winch its not worth it, and even then it may not be enough weight.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Oops the OME are 23.4mm, sorry.

They would act like HD springs if you were to consider the added weight of say a winch, larger bumper, bigger engine as possibilties. Therefor being needed to keep from bottoming out too hard. And providing a longer working life than stock bars could provide under such extra-stress.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-16-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
Sounds like you forgot to disconnect the sway bar end links.
If you had done that, you won't have had a problem at all.
We've done a ton of Jeeps (TJ's) and it's pretty simply.

Fred
I forgot to mention we disconected those also
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Oops the OME are 23.4mm, sorry.

They would act like HD springs if you were to consider the added weight of say a winch, larger bumper, bigger engine as possibilties. Therefor being needed to keep from bottoming out too hard. And providing a longer working life than stock bars could provide under such extra-stress.

Yea that sounds about right.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Well guys heres an update....this is the hardest thing I have done to a vehicle I dont know if Im doing something wrong but my tranny was cake compared to this. First off I had no drop in my suspension when i lifted it up, then nothing really went according to plans. To get my CV axle out I had to remove the steering knuckle. Now I was trimming my A-Arm and the spacers dont fit, do you need to cut out a HUGE chunk to get them in there? The pics I have seen dont look that big of cuts but I took out a good ammount I thoght, and another thing, my upper A-Arm is resting at a / ish angle and the balljoint is at a \ angle and I cannot get either to budge to try and line up the balljoint+spacer to the upper A-Arm holes. WTF?! Sorry if this makes no sense its late Im angry and dirty and tired, Ill try and take pics but I think something is horribly wrong here.

Last edited by Bejiita; 07-18-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, first of all, did you put a block under the upper a-arm? from your description, it sounds like you haven't.

If not, you want to take off the BJ spacer, put the BJ back under the upper a-arm, jack it up until it starts lifting the truck, and put either some wood, or a chunk of steel or whatever you've got laying around between the upper A-arm and the bumpstop area. Basically so when you let the jack down, your upper A-arm doesn't move.

Next, I had to take out an inch, inch and half to get mine to fit. Some take less, but it was a LOT of cutting in my case. Been fine for the last 2 years. Hopefully you are using a cut off wheel. These cost 4 bucks at the hardware store and work SOOOO much better. If you are already using one, sorry for the extra info.

I am baffled by the number of people needing to remove the steering knuckle to get out CV's. I'm not kidding. I realize that you probably still have the studs on there, but i did my first time, and it took a bit more working it, but they fell out without much issue. Now, with the studs gone, i can litearally pull the axle without removing the wheel or jacking up the truck. Never broke an axle on the trail, but a guy who had the same set up as me could change it in 12 minutes, start to finish. Gotta get those studs out.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Alright I will block the A-Arm I didnt do that step, And I dont have an angle or dye grinder, I have a dremel which is actually working pretty well. I am heading to the parts store right now to grab another couple cutting heads for the other side and to replace the zerk I broke when I started smashing the studs off the balljoint....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy crap batman!

Dremel? Brave man with WWWAAAAYYYY more patience than I.

Usually you can rent tools from most home depots or lowes. You will be done in 2 minutes if you rent a 4" grinder for a few hours from one of those places.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Alright the spacer is in shcok is on CV axle is torqued down now for the reassembly! Woohoo....then I get to do it all over again