Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help 89 3vze no injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help 89 3vze no injector pulse

89 toyota pickup going down the highway at 75 engine just shut off. Pulled to the side of the road had all dash lights on an work tried to start didn't do anything towed it home have spark fuel pump kick on when cranking spray starting fuild in air box runs great till starting fuild burns up. So I started checking efi relay an fuse was good. Grab test light an unplug driver side front injector one side hot the other is not. Grab my noid light no pulse as I've read on here the ecm send a ground to injector to pulse so I'm thinking maybe the ecm is fried is there a way to test it I can't find a wiring diagram for it on here. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated I'm lost here lol
Old 04-18-2022, 10:52 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
From what I've seen in the past, the running with starting fluid only is a lack of fuel. If the pump runs, have you checked the pressure and flow at the fuel rail? A pressure gauge on the Cold Start injector for pressure, and a clear tube on the return line from the pressure regulator to check volume. If the volume is low, it could be anything from a clogged "sock" on the pump, to dirty injectors. The fuel lines could have something built up inside, the filter could be clogged, the FPR bad, etc.

Does the pump run with the key ON and the AFM vane open? How about with the key in start, but the clutch NOT pushed? Does te truck start OK with fuel pump jumper in?

The ECU doesn't send te ground signal to the injectors unless it's getting all it's expected signals, so it might not be sending it yet.

Just some other possibilities you can check pretty easily.
Good luck!
Pat☺
The following users liked this post:
Garrettyota89 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
From what I've seen in the past, the running with starting fluid only is a lack of fuel. If the pump runs, have you checked the pressure and flow at the fuel rail? A pressure gauge on the Cold Start injector for pressure, and a clear tube on the return line from the pressure regulator to check volume. If the volume is low, it could be anything from a clogged "sock" on the pump, to dirty injectors. The fuel lines could have something built up inside, the filter could be clogged, the FPR bad, etc.

Does the pump run with the key ON and the AFM vane open? How about with the key in start, but the clutch NOT pushed? Does te truck start OK with fuel pump jumper in?

The ECU doesn't send te ground signal to the injectors unless it's getting all it's expected signals, so it might not be sending it yet.

Just some other possibilities you can check pretty easily.
Good luck!
Pat☺
Thanks for the reply! I just put an new sending unit an pumpan sock in it about 2 months ago . Ive seen pumps go out in that short of time but I need to check the pressure to be sure pulled the cold start injector an go no spray open the fuel line to it an replace the crush washer an it sprayed out of the banjo fitting with the arm vane open an when cranking. It will only start with starting fluid into the air box. I've tried jumping the fuel pump but no fuel is getting to the plugs
Old 04-18-2022, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, I just went through this.
Ended up my injectors weren't firing.
It was the ECM.
Go check out my thread.
Doesn't mean that's your issue, but I had tested everything else.
The FSM has a pretty thorough test procedure in it.

http://gvrdeu.org/Toyota%20Manual/Engine/3VFe%20V6/86troubles.pdf

Last edited by Wiggarigg; 04-18-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Garrettyota89 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wiggarigg
Man, I just went through this.
Ended up my injectors weren't firing.
It was the ECM.
Go check out my thread.
Doesn't mean that's your issue, but I had tested everything else.
The FSM has a pretty thorough test procedure in it.

http://gvrdeu.org/Toyota%20Manual/En...86troubles.pdf
Thank you ive been looking fo that diagram like that with no luck till now lol. I've pretty much tested everything on there hate to spend 200 for a ecm but I'm pretty sure that my problem
Old 04-19-2022, 10:26 AM

I got mine for $66 on Ebay!
Just make sure the numbers on the sticker match up.
The way it works is the injectors get their power directly from the ignition switch(key). That wire goes through all 6 injectors. Then the other wire goes from the injectors directly to the ecm. One for the left bank & one for the right bank. So you need to probe those 2 wires at the ecm to make sure you got power there. #10 &#20. Then make sure you have ground on the 2 brown wires right next to them.
Garrettyota89 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wiggarigg
I got mine for $66 on Ebay!
Just make sure the numbers on the sticker match up.
The way it works is the injectors get their power directly from the ignition switch(key). That wire goes through all 6 injectors. Then the other wire goes from the injectors directly to the ecm. One for the left bank & one for the right bank. So you need to probe those 2 wires at the ecm to make sure you got power there. #10 . Then make sure you have ground on the 2 brown wires right next to them.
SO #10 I had 11.94 volt an #20 I had .06 volts an the grounds was good
Old 04-19-2022, 04:33 PM

Ah ha!
That wire may be compromised.
Not sure which side that is.
You are probably going to have to pull the plenum off to figure this out. That terminal should have 12v with the key on. It comes directly from the injectors. The ecm changes it to a ground to fire 3 of the injectors. The other wire fires the other 3. I would think it should be firing 3 injectors though. Maybe not. You gotta figure out where that voltage is at. If you can't find the break, you could just run a new wire. It might be a PITA, but you're starting to figure it out!