Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Headlight Relay Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The autopals are pretty nice. I wish I would have done the upgrade sooner. Im runnin the autopal housing with upgraded harness and some Hella 100/80w bulbs and they are amazing!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Got the Autopals installed...took about 15 minutes. I was already running 55/100 bulbs but I figured I'd try the Autopal 'white' 55/100s...only $4 for the 'upgraded' bulbs but I think I know why. More on that later. Bought these crap eBay housings quite a while ago (cheap, figured why not...now I know why not) and they were better than sealed beams but there's no comparison to the Autopals.

Excuse the dirty truck and cloudy turn signals...that will be fixed this weekend.

Fake projectors:

Autopals:

Fake projectors:

Autopals:

About 4 minutes into the test drive I stopped to make some adjustments and POP...driver side bulb exploded. Scared the crap out of me lol. Pretty loud bang.

Compared to:

That was one of the Autopal 'white' 55/100s. I'm not sure if I should try to clean it out or if I should just return it for a replacement. It's worse than it looks and I'm worried the other one will pop soon...my other bulbs are in the glove box until I decide. I'm afraid I won't be able to get it perfectly clean again which will cause a little output loss. What do you think, return the housing for a replacement or try to clean it?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM

I would contact the seller and try and see if they can send you a new housing. If not then see if you can clean it or just buy 1 new housing.

It looked great for the time being.

Thats the main reason I replaced the "Autopal" bulbs right when I bought it. You should order the Hella 100/80w bulbs. I bought them and havent had any issues. You can get a set for about $25 shipped
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Got the Autopals installed...took about 15 minutes. I was already running 55/100 bulbs but I figured I'd try the Autopal 'white' 55/100s...only $4 for the 'upgraded' bulbs but I think I know why. More on that later. Bought these crap eBay housings quite a while ago (cheap, figured why not...now I know why not) and they were better than sealed beams but there's no comparison to the Autopals.

Excuse the dirty truck and cloudy turn signals...that will be fixed this weekend.

Fake projectors:

Autopals:

Fake projectors:

Autopals:

About 4 minutes into the test drive I stopped to make some adjustments and POP...driver side bulb exploded. Scared the crap out of me lol. Pretty loud bang.

Compared to:

That was one of the Autopal 'white' 55/100s. I'm not sure if I should try to clean it out or if I should just return it for a replacement. It's worse than it looks and I'm worried the other one will pop soon...my other bulbs are in the glove box until I decide. I'm afraid I won't be able to get it perfectly clean again which will cause a little output loss. What do you think, return the housing for a replacement or try to clean it?
RETURN IT!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that I would not use it. When that thing burst the hot gas/metal spray may have damaged the reflector coating.
FYI: I LOVE my Autopals!!!!! these are such an upgrade from stock and so easy to install that I wouldnt even think of going the projector route.
I still have the bulbs that came with mine but I bought a new set of Sylvania Ultra's on eBay for $25 and LOVE them too! If I wanted any more light I'd probably use some rectangle driving lights (found a pair on eBay for about $24 shipped) and some replacement H3 100watt bulbs. But for now I am SOOOOO happy with my Autopals that I'll keep rockin these!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Looks like the exploding headlight may have been for the better.

I contacted Rishi with Autopal and we worked out a deal...at first he told me to clean it so I sent him a picture. As soon as he saw it he agreed to send a replacement housing.

Going to attempt to clean it and keep it as a spare...I'm thinking compressed air to get most of the powder out and maybe rinsing it out with some simple green. Suggestions?

Last edited by BMcEL; 02-17-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Hmm not really sure. The hole isnt very big to do much with maybe if you got a small enough shop-vac attachment but then you still have to wipe the inside somehow.

I know that you can put some headlights in a oven to heat up the glue stuff then open it, clean, then reseal it. I did it on my civic when I painted the inside of my headlights gunmetal. Its worth a shot.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
Hmm not really sure. The hole isnt very big to do much with maybe if you got a small enough shop-vac attachment but then you still have to wipe the inside somehow.

I know that you can put some headlights in a oven to heat up the glue stuff then open it, clean, then reseal it. I did it on my civic when I painted the inside of my headlights gunmetal. Its worth a shot.
My first thought was to open it up and that's what I'll probably end up having to do. I'm going to try to clean it from the back for now, at least until I know for certain that Rishi doesn't want it back.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM

My first thought was to open it up and that's what I'll probably end up having to do. I'm going to try to clean it from the back for now, at least until I know for certain that Rishi doesn't want it back.
I'm thinking pressure washer..........but HOLD ON TIGHT.........
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by worshipmentor
I'm thinking pressure washer..........but HOLD ON TIGHT.........
Hah that's not a bad idea...I have a smaller electric one that would be perfect for that. Might just give it a try tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM

So whats the blue upgrade bulb you can do?
does that just make the housing tint blue?

Last edited by BoredOutnJackdUp; 02-23-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
So whats the blue upgrade bulb you can do?
does that just make the housing tint blue?
The blue coating is just a color filter to give them a blue hue.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM

Did you get your headlight issue solved BMcel?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM

Yep, got a replacement housing free and get to keep the other one. Installing it today.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM

What bulbs did you go with?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
What bulbs did you go with?
Still using the cheap 55/100s I had before I bought the Autopals. I'll upgrade when these burn out...Hella 80/100s you said?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Yeah thats what I am using
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...n=HLAH83140171
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Assembled a headlight relay harness today. I drafted up a quick (don't laugh) schematic and got to work:

All cable is 12awg THHN except for the H4 pigtails...they're 12awg stranded but not THHN rated. I should have taken pics of the process but when I'm in go mode I just go. Here's the final product:

(2) 30A relays
(2) Female H4 pigtails
12awg THHN
Ring terminals for the battery connections
Butt connectors for the H4 pigtails
Male spade terminals for the factory H4 connector
Female spade terminals for the relays
1/2" wire loom
Electrical tape to wrap the loom

If you want to go all out, you could use a male H4 pigtail instead of male spades to plug into the factory H4 connector and relay pigtails instead of female spades to plug into the relays.

I ended up running a dedicated ground back to the battery (zip-tied to the loom every 6") afterwards. I figured with this much effort I might as well run the extra cable. Copper conducts better than steel and I didn't want ANY weak links.

Went for a quick drive tonight but I need to re-aim the housings. Even with the beams all over the place it's amazing how much brighter good halogens are vs. HIDs in halogen housings. One of these days I'll install a projector retrofit like this and go back to HIDs but for now halogen is fine. 55w/100w bulbs by the way.
BMcEL -- Is this a switched ground set up? I'm looking for how to reconfigure my switched power set-up to switched ground. Thanks!

...and does your high beam indicator light work with this?

Last edited by stanz; 04-24-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Just in case you missed it.

Originally Posted by vital22re
Is the new harnes running as a switched ground circuit? I believe your truck is a switched negative. So 4 crawlers site shows how to switch the upgrade harness to work with that.
In case you don't know where to look: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...s.shtml#SPtoSG
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by stanz
BMcEL -- Is this a switched ground set up? I'm looking for how to reconfigure my switched power set-up to switched ground. Thanks!

...and does your high beam indicator light work with this?
It converts switched ground to switched power. Note that to do this, the relay coil (pins 85 & 86) must be connected to the factory headlight wiring in order to work properly.

High beam indicator works.

Last edited by BMcEL; 04-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Pins 85 and 86 are switchable BTW, it doesn't matter in which direction power flows through that. I don't know if that's what's confusing on the relay or not.
Thank god you told me this..I was going crazy and thought I had to restart all over since I don't know much about relays...solved my problem with understanding why everyone kept mixing different relay numbers in all the diagrams I found.

My Roundeyes will come tomorrow and I just now finished building my ugly 12 gauge harness..hopefully post pics when I get them on...

Last edited by Vang530; 12-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Relay Harness