Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head Gasket Woes...Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well I have almost 3K on her now and I have a bit of an issue that has slowly gotten worse. I'm thinking its a timing thing like it's not advancing when is should. Some days it'll be just fine and others its a bit sluggish like I'm towing something. You give it gas and it just doesn't getup and go as it should. Other days it takes off. Does the same hot/cold/dry/wet/day/night/empty tank/full tank. Sometimes it's fine then while your accelerating it falls on its' face and becomes sluggish. I don't think is vacuum related but not ruling that out.

Also the tach will bounce only while accelerating. Just holding speed it does not bounce.

Gotta wait till the weekend to mess with it.

My thoughts are that the pickup inside the dizzy may need cleaned. All connections seem to be tight and I have checked all grounds and added and additional ground.

Can one of you guys send me some good pictures of your vacuum connections at the rear of the motor where the EGR stuff is. I want to be sure I have the FPL and EGR stuff routed correctly. I may have a vac line or 3 switched around. So Pics of the back of the vac rail will really help out.

Still getting about 20+ mpg mixed driving so that's a plus. Can't wait to see how it does after I get this ironed out.
This sounds an AWFUL lot like a bad distributor...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
here's some.....see if it helps

(engine is not as clean as it was 2 weeks ago....oops)

and a little after school help.....still playing with that broken pipe....cheap me, didn't get it fixed.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
This sounds an AWFUL lot like a bad distributor...
That's what I didn't want to hear but what I was leaning to... I really hope I can just clean it up some and it will be ok.

Thanks Jerry just what I needed!!! I know now I have some vac lines not quite right. I'll have a looksee at it Sat A.M. before I head out for the day. By the time I leave work it's dark and I don't have time in the morning to get to it.

Ya just about 3k...I do a bunch of driving about 20k a year or so. I think the other year before I got the truck I put 22k on my Lincoln. Since the truck I put a total of 5 on it in almost 2 years.

Last edited by Lumpy; 09-14-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
and a little after school help.....still playing with that broken pipe....cheap me, didn't get it fixed.

I remember being in that same spot on your truck once upon a time!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hey Lumpy, just remember I was the one who did his vac lines. lol. so you might want a second opinion. LMAO.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 PM

I remember being in that same spot on your truck once upon a time!!!

yup...same spot......if only i had that quilt with me that time.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
hey Lumpy, just remember I was the one who did his vac lines. lol. so you might want a second opinion. LMAO.

nah...it runs fine
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM

I look at it this way...can't be worse. I'm going to get some fresh vac lines and replace a bunch of them as well. Should have done it in the first place.

The plus is that even with it not running at 100% it's still got more oomph than it did before. So 268 helped and r/v+268 made really nice (on it's good days).

Sell that damn caddy already!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM

I look at it this way...can't be worse. I'm going to get some fresh vac lines and replace a bunch of them as well. Should have done it in the first place.

The plus is that even with it not running at 100% it's still got more oomph than it did before. So 268 helped and r/v+268 made really nice (on it's good days).

Sell that damn caddy already!!!
buy my damn caddy already!

OK...so how do you determine if it's the distributor or not??.....change it??....those are pretty steep. can you service those without replacing the whole everything????

yes....i will search
Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm not a GM man...the only GM that I had that I liked was my 67 Toronado, still miss that thing.

As far as the dizzy...I'm hoping that from some condensation I got a bit of a buildup of something. So a little emery cloth I think should help. The cap and rotor are only about 1.5 years old (20K) on them. I don't want to change it if I can help it. My parts truck is a 3.0 so no help there.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM

read the can of PB Blaster......says it's good for electrical connections.....not sure of that's what you are intending here.....don't know how muck of a dirt attractant it is......seems to dissipate really well....

boy...CHEF...with all his trouble shooting skills could diagnose ya in a flash......CHEF!!!!! where are ya CHEF ?!?!?!..

damn Chef, i'm starving too....time to make din-din
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not a GM man...the only GM that I had that I liked was my 67 Toronado, still miss that thing.

As far as the dizzy...I'm hoping that from some condensation I got a bit of a buildup of something. So a little emery cloth I think should help. The cap and rotor are only about 1.5 years old (20K) on them. I don't want to change it if I can help it. My parts truck is a 3.0 so no help there.
The issues it sounds like are more likely electrical connections inside the DISTRIBUTOR, not the cap.

And lube those throttle springs/cables! (clean engine!)
Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I have almost 3K on her now and I have a bit of an issue that has slowly gotten worse. I'm thinking its a timing thing like it's not advancing when is should. Some days it'll be just fine and others its a bit sluggish like I'm towing something. You give it gas and it just doesn't getup and go as it should. Other days it takes off. Does the same hot/cold/dry/wet/day/night/empty tank/full tank. Sometimes it's fine then while your accelerating it falls on its' face and becomes sluggish. I don't think is vacuum related but not ruling that out.

Also the tach will bounce only while accelerating. Just holding speed it does not bounce.

Gotta wait till the weekend to mess with it.

My thoughts are that the pickup inside the dizzy may need cleaned. All connections seem to be tight and I have checked all grounds and added and additional ground.

Can one of you guys send me some good pictures of your vacuum connections at the rear of the motor where the EGR stuff is. I want to be sure I have the FPL and EGR stuff routed correctly. I may have a vac line or 3 switched around. So Pics of the back of the vac rail will really help out.

Still getting about 20+ mpg mixed driving so that's a plus. Can't wait to see how it does after I get this ironed out.
Hey mang! I have TONS of vac pics and "photo-labeling" of mine, and I could go out and get some, but I believe Jerry's, being a 90's 22re, would be more accurate to the 'couple different' things going on with the later model 22re's. I'll be glad to post some if you still need them though.

Far as the dizzy, I've noticed that 'play' in the shaft, either side to side or up and down can play a CRITICAL part in a "Gremlin" type hiccup. Mine seems to be tight... but I've met one other guy, at least, who had a HUGE problem keeping the timing from bouncing all over, plus a lil idle fluctuation, due to his 'sloppy shaft' dizzy. His pick-up coil, like mine, read 168... right on in the 'specs' dept. However, due to the play, he ended up replacing the dizzy and VOILA! NOT saying that's your issue. My pick up coil, on an 86 I had, seemed to have a heavy arch/gouge on it from a surge or something... replaced that, and it fixed my issue at the time of a 'jumpy timing' problem. I guess it was just fried but still reading ok on the resistance.

You could check for air gap as well, just to rule it out. Easy check on the dizzy. Just pull the ground first, hehehe. Also, it's more time consuming, but you can pull the dizzy, rotate the rotor and check for blue spark across the board throughout the cyl.'s .

Sorry if that's not helpful, and I'm sure you're aware of most(more likely all of it, haha), but I'm still trying to really ''log it in to my brain basket for good''--in the "IGf" and "Ne" department.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 AM

PS> I did find a 'sticky' problem freed up with the proper lubrication of the cable/springs. However, two other times I have had that problem, it ended up being a worn(too much play) throttle shaft(shaft sticking in the Throttle Body).
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Alright guys, thanks for all your input!!! I'll have at it first thing Sat. am. and I'll let you all know what I find.

FYI: it was a little sluggish last night on the way home but on the way in this morning it was great! Very very odd.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 toy
lol!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Alright guys, thanks for all your input!!! I'll have at it first thing Sat. am. and I'll let you all know what I find.

FYI: it was a little sluggish last night on the way home but on the way in this morning it was great! Very very odd.
COULD be an AFM(Ambient Temp sensor related) issue,.... Mine seemed to run that way, ...."Crappy when cooler out, then fine and powerful when warm." Of course, I was having issues with the TPS as well.

Best wishes, Lumpy,

Mark
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 AM

Well that's the thing...doesn't matter if it warm/cold/wet/dry/night/day/drunk/sober. It does what it wants when it wants. Now the past 2 days it's been good. Come on Sat. morning!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 AM

YES, YES, ....c'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Saturday! lol.

What's your 'checklist' for that day????

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Woes...Again