Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hannemann Fiberglass body parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hannemann Fiberglass body parts?

anybody using fiberglass fenders and/or bedsides on their daily driver trucks?

I have an '89 shortbed DLX V6 4WD, and since I moved to AZ I've been thinking about refurbing it by doing a Total Chaos front suspension and putting some Hannamann parts on it to give it that pre-runner look, but want to know if it's tough enough for daily driver status before spending $1500 on fenders, bedsides, and a hood...any thoughts or suggestions?

any other fiberglass companies I should be looking at besides Hannemann for use on a street driven truck that will see some desert use on weekends?
Old 04-29-2021, 08:51 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
First I'll say offroad fiberglass body parts are not an exact fit like steel parts. They ABSOLUTELY WILL require some sanding, bolt hole drilling, grinding, cutting and possibly filling with fiberglass to get them to fit decently.
I have hannemann fenders and glassworks bed sides. Have had them for over 10 years now. Never had any problems with strength but,
Two things I learned is if you want to stop spiderweb cracks from rocks getting thrown up from the tires, get the underside sprayed with a tough bed coating. You will also have to make some kind of bracing or supports for the wheel opening corners to keep them moving/flapping around which will fatigue them and cause damage.

last tip, you can use regular bolts and washers but if you go to https://www.aa-mfg.com and search for body washer and pick up a few different sizes or the kit they sell, they make for a much cleaner finished look.

here is how I used them on the inside of the bed rail to mount the bed sides

Here is one of the 4 supports I made to keep the bed sides from flapping.
here is an older picture of the truck with all the fiberglass mounted

The following users liked this post:
cracked (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 11:14 AM

thanks for the info, the link, and the pics...quite informative

I was aware of the "fit" of fiberglass, and I think I'm prepared for the effort to get them on..hadn't thought about using bedliner on the undersides of the parts to quell vibrations of the 'glass, thanks for that idea

I was thinking about using some Monstaliner on the exterior, at least from the belt line down...maybe the entire body, inside and out, will get sprayed with it
Old 05-01-2021, 10:58 AM

anybody else have any experiences with fiberglass parts, or even pre-runner parts such as bumpers and tire carriers on their Toyota's?
Old 05-01-2021, 02:47 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
I know the gentleman who goes by slacker on the 1st gen forums produces fiberglass panels and beds and they are very popular. Ive seen his website but cant remember the name of it atm.

If you are going fiberglass, which I think is a good idea, the 1st question is are you going to want room for more wheel travel than stock wheel wells and fenders will afford?
Old 05-01-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by swampedout
I know the gentleman who goes by slacker on the 1st gen forums produces fiberglass panels and beds and they are very popular. Ive seen his website but cant remember the name of it atm.

If you are going fiberglass, which I think is a good idea, the 1st question is are you going to want room for more wheel travel than stock wheel wells and fenders will afford?
yes, I would like to use 33"-35" tires and have more suspension travel for them.

I currently have a body lift and 33's, but I plan on swapping in longer T100 axles front and rear (per Total Chaos to keep my 4WD), so I'd like to lose the BL and have the clearance built into the fenders and bedsides

besides it's daily driver status, I want to use the truck for a little desert high speed stuff, and exploring trails in general..
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (05-01-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
from my old baja days I loved Dzus fasteners for body panels
Old 05-03-2021, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
from my old baja days I loved Dzus fasteners for body panels
I have a bunch of these stainless steel flanged rounded head screws and locknuts in different sizes from putting the MetalCloak armor and fenders on my Jeeps..
Hannemann Fiberglass body parts?-dziazmr.jpg
so was either going to use them or the ones with the aluminum washers linked in one of the posts above
Old 05-21-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some other sources:

https://www.fiberwerx.com/collection...-toyota-pickup

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/toyotafiberglass.htm

Old 05-21-2021, 08:39 PM

do you have any experience with products from either of these companies?

Fiberwerx appears as they only do Taco and Tundra conversions...which doesn't really interest me, unless they're truly top notch parts

Toyota Fiberglass parts seem a bit tame, styling wise, that and they are spendy, so again they would have to be top shelf stuff

I don't mind spending a bit more for parts that are quality...unfortunately, I've learned that when it comes to fiberglass parts, you don't always get what you pay for, and a higher price tag doesn't always equate to higher quality product, so you need to talk to people who have actual experience with the parts in question
Old 06-23-2021, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got fiberglass fenders and box from Toyotafiberglass. The fenders needed to be worked and drilled before they can be mounted. The box was pretty much ready to go. Both the box and fenders are TOUGH. I got them because I was restoring my truck and hate rust.

Also had a truck that had their bedsides on it. Super tough and outlasted the truck,
These are solid pieces and very rigid. I'm 100% satisfied.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM

thanks for the reply...

I looked at Toyotafiberglass when I first started thinking about doing the restoration/resto mod of my old truck..

and honestly, I just like how the Hanneman fenders look a bit more than Toyotafiberglass equivalents...the Hanneman stuff looks a bit more pre-runner/stadium truck...to my eye the Toyotafiberglass fenders just look like stock fenders with larger flares...and while they're a nice looking fender, just not what I want with this one

I plan on eventually installing a Total Chaos Fab +3.25" long travel front suspension and using T100 front axles to keep the 4WD intact, and a T100 width rear axle in the back...so I will need an additional 3-4" over the stock width fenders and bedsides to keep the tires under the body...which while not required here in AZ by law, I still like the look of better than having the tires sticking out too much past the fenders

would like to have a replacement bed though....maybe I'll talk to Toyotafiberglass, and see if they will mold the Hanneman 4" bulge bedsides into their bed if I have the bedsides sent to them