Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Got stuck tonight:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay...realistically...you can't touch a Toyota 4x4 truck for $3k or less. I can buy a good condition truck (2wd) for ~$1500 or an older one (~87) for $1000. So, I can put $2k into it and have a truck that is 4x4 AND has a straight axle. Or would it still be cheaper to buy a piece of crap with bald tires and lifted on blocks?

Actually...I wonder how much my brother would sell his truck for We've had it for over 10 years and 150k miles now it has 260k miles...lol
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

If you're gonna keep playing in the woods with it I suggest you tighten all belts up before your next trip, and always keep an eye on them. I carry a spare for every belt. They're cheap, don't weigh much or take up much space, and a good thing to have with you. Mine likes to throw belts if you rev it over 5000-5500.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Okay...realistically...you can't touch a Toyota 4x4 truck for $3k or less. I can buy a good condition truck (2wd) for ~$1500 or an older one (~87) for $1000. So, I can put $2k into it and have a truck that is 4x4 AND has a straight axle. Or would it still be cheaper to buy a piece of crap with bald tires and lifted on blocks?

Actually...I wonder how much my brother would sell his truck for We've had it for over 10 years and 150k miles now it has 260k miles...lol
I bought my 91 4wd for 3k

when I brought her home...

and her most recent photo...

couldn't tell ya how much I put into it though...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Other things to carry on the trail:
Extra quart of your preferred oil
rag or shop towels
full size spare-most people carry theirs for a spare tire, but mine is more there for traction and weight over the rear axle
decent length and thickness strap
shackle or something other than a tow ball to pull from (please don't just throw a strap over the ball)
Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
If you're gonna keep playing in the woods with it I suggest you tighten all belts up before your next trip, and always keep an eye on them. I carry a spare for every belt. They're cheap, don't weigh much or take up much space, and a good thing to have with you. Mine likes to throw belts if you rev it over 5000-5500.
My belt was as tight as I could get it. I've taken it to redline MANY times before...but I guess it just happens. The belt was still in good condition too

iamsuperbleeder -> We all know you meant to buy a 2wd

But it seems like in my area you can buy your truck for $6k on average

Skinsfan6 -> Actually I don't carry much at all! Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

My belt was as tight as I could get it. I've taken it to redline MANY times before...but I guess it just happens. The belt was still in good condition too

I swear to you, I would bet the lady I bought it from didn't even know it was 4wd, lol. Her use-to-be husband bought it brand new, she ended up driving it a lot, and when they devorced, she took the Toyota (that would piss me off...). She didn't even know what size motor it had in it, lmao. I knew more about the truck when I went to look at it for the first time than she did even after 16 years of owning the dang thing. And it's my 1st 4wd too
Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Even if the belt was in good condition, I figure since your riding so low something got jammed up under there and cut the belt, and eventually (or right away) the belt broke. Next time you go to get an alternator or starter, pay the extra for the lifetime warranty. It has paid me off 100% when I used to go 'muddin' I now like to play in the rocks so a locked 4x4 is a must. My sfa may help a little too

Swampers in the rear on an extra set of wheels would be perfect for your application, but I HIGHLY recommend that you either weld (not so good on a dd) or add some kind of lunchbox locker for your next modification. Seriously, having a locked diff is a night and day difference compared to open.

It would even be cool to see a 4x4 rear axle under your truck, converting it to spring over axle and an added 3-4" of lift in the rear(my guess). Then do bj spacers/crank the torsions (something cheap) to lift the front (then get it aligned). In your case, this would mean running bigger tires for added ground clearance. Basically my ideas would be to stretch the limits of modding your truck, and making one hell of a conversation peice. I planned on doing this to my dd to get it up a bit higher, but decided to mod my 4rnr more.

Next mod though, definitely go for a locker.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

if you want a cheap 4x4 just keep watching on craigslist, look on portland, eugene, salem, bend, and vancouvar craigslist, one will turn up.

but yeah people who dis on 2wd trucks are just jelouse that they spent the extra money on a 4x4 not that a 4x4 cant go more places but i think if a good driver is in control of a 2wd truck he is used to he can probably go just as many places at the majority of people are willing to take their 4x4 vehicles. Not saying that a 4x4 cant go more places, but you can definately have just as much fun in a 2wd truck, and they are loads more durable and economic than a 4x4 because of their lack of extra drive train components and lighter weight.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by apalmer1
if you want a cheap 4x4 just keep watching on craigslist, look on portland, eugene, salem, bend, and vancouvar craigslist, one will turn up.

but yeah people who dis on 2wd trucks are just jelouse that they spent the extra money on a 4x4 not that a 4x4 cant go more places but i think if a good driver is in control of a 2wd truck he is used to he can probably go just as many places at the majority of people are willing to take their 4x4 vehicles. Not saying that a 4x4 cant go more places, but you can definately have just as much fun in a 2wd truck, and they are loads more durable and economic than a 4x4 because of their lack of extra drive train components and lighter weight.
I'm all for the 2wd wheelers! Gives me someone to pull out on the trails

lol, ok, just kidding

I really am all for the 2wd wheeling. I use my from drive-train as a backup option as abe put it. I think that's why my truck gets so dang nastey every time I head out. I'll go forward and backwards 10 times in 2wd trying to get out before I finally reach down to the transfer case shifter. Most of the time I can get out with just the rear wheels with a little rocking, but every once in a while you get hung up... even in 4wd...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Even if the belt was in good condition, I figure since your riding so low something got jammed up under there and cut the belt, and eventually (or right away) the belt broke. Next time you go to get an alternator or starter, pay the extra for the lifetime warranty. It has paid me off 100% when I used to go 'muddin' I now like to play in the rocks so a locked 4x4 is a must. My sfa may help a little too

Swampers in the rear on an extra set of wheels would be perfect for your application, but I HIGHLY recommend that you either weld (not so good on a dd) or add some kind of lunchbox locker for your next modification. Seriously, having a locked diff is a night and day difference compared to open.

It would even be cool to see a 4x4 rear axle under your truck, converting it to spring over axle and an added 3-4" of lift in the rear(my guess). Then do bj spacers/crank the torsions (something cheap) to lift the front (then get it aligned). In your case, this would mean running bigger tires for added ground clearance. Basically my ideas would be to stretch the limits of modding your truck, and making one hell of a conversation peice. I planned on doing this to my dd to get it up a bit higher, but decided to mod my 4rnr more.

Next mod though, definitely go for a locker.
Are you talking about a lock-rite?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM

I'm talking about any way to lock the differential. Whether it be lock rite, detroit, aussie, whatever. I'm not sure which companies make them for our trucks, but I'm sure someone can enlighten me. I wish I could be more helpful on which one to get, but after I saw the price I figured since it wasn't my dd I would just weld my rear diff. If it were my dd, I would definitely spend the money to get one, no questions asked. I believe you can get a fairly decent one for between $200 and $300. But like I said, I'm not up to par on anything but where to weld your spider gears.

Essentially what locking the rear end does, (if you don't already know what it does) is allows both your wheels to spin at the same rate. A limited slip (stock differential) feeds more power to the wheel with less traction, so while this may be better for onroad use, it does nothing to help offroad. Once one wheel starts to lose traction all the power goes to that wheel, so you go no where. If you equip yourself with a "locker" in the rear, both tires will turn the same rate all the time. So when one tire starts to lose traction the other will keep on going, giving you a lot better chance of getting where you want to go. If I came off to seem like I was talking to you like an idiot, I didn't mean it, I'm trying to help you out! I know I had no idea about lockers before it was explained to me in the same manner. To tell you the truth, I didn't take the advice right away. But once I did and wheeled with the welded rear, I was amazed at how much more my truck could tackle. Things I needed 4wd for before, I could tackle it no problem in 2wd. You claim to surprise people in 4x4's, imagine how much more you will surprise them with this mod.

Works out great when wheeling with buddies, they all make it through some trails while I follow. They would get to an "obstacle" that they can't make it up, I pass them and try it. Most of the time I make it, others it's a no go. I tell them to lock my hubs so I can go into 4wd and they think I'm kidding, but find out that I really wasn't in 4wd all that time. Really gives me and my truck more respect; as usually I wheel with bigger trucks that have bigger engines, lifts, and tires. But they almost always have open diffs.

A lot to read, and I'm open to any questions, comments, or criticism.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the post!

I definitely know what lockers are! I was going to get one for my ranger when I had it because the tire spun all the time. Now I want one for my Toyota.

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions on lockers.

I was told a limited slip would be better...but ultimately I think an air locker would be best but pricey and not sure if they make it for this axle (is it the same as a 4x4 or are the splines different???)
Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Look to see if your truck has an 8" differential housing, or a 7.5" one. If it's the 7.5, I'm not sure who makes auto lockers for those, or if one for an 8" would work. Your best bet would be to call 4wheelparts or something, they should know. If not, just try lurking around different forums. If no one offers one for the 7.5", you may have to get a 4x4 axle after all or just deal with welding your spiders. The only thing negative about that (down here in Georgia anyway) is that it wears down tires faster, and it chirps when making sharp turns. I couldn't tell you if it would be better or worse in snow if you have it up that way.