Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Got a new "toy" today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well after I finally got it hooked up I found out the valve wouldn't stop the air. As soon as I would turn on the air supply it would start blowing. I called them and tried to work through it but they couldn't figure out what was causing it so they sent another valve out yesterday.

I got to working on the system again today and found another part that would unscrew and low and behold I found the problem.

A quick trip to the local hardware store and 19 cents later and it was fixed. Cool thing is the guy is sending me another valve already so I'll have a spare. Technically it was broken and they couldn't figure out what it was over the phone so I don't feel too guilty.

That and I'm planning on dropping another $200 on an on-board air system from them so they'll get payback.

Anyhoo, I got everything all put back together tonight and it works perfectly.

Here's some pics of the horns where I mounted them...

Looking over the back tire:

And laying under the truck looking up at them:

It's really the perfect place to mount them. They're facing forward so the sound will carry and they have plenty of protection from whatever might get at them. I still have to get some pantyhose to put over the bells to keep dirt and rocks out, and some shower caps and rubber bands for when I go in the mud. I think they'll be fine there...

Here's a pic of my $40 diamond plate toolbox halfway polished...

As you can see, the mother's polishing ball worked wonders on it. It already looks good and I'm still planning on rubbing it out by hand and waxing it. It didn't have any dents on it at all. It was also the exact kind I was looking for to make working with the tanks easy.

I'm proud of myself...

Here's a pic of the tank where its bolted to the box...

As you can see. there should just barely be enough room for the 3 gallon tank I'm going to mount in there and hook to the 10 gallon tank when I buy the air system. The tanks they sell give you better options and flexibility because they have about 9 ports instead of the 1 that the HF tank has... I can't wait to get the rest of it in there and have true OBA...

I left the air on tonight to see if I have any bad leaks but I'm pretty sure it's ok. There might be one small leak at the valve but I'll decide in the morning if it needs fixing.

I'll grab a vid of it in action tomorrow. It was dusk when i got it done and out of respect for my neighbors I didn't want to blow it too much at 120psi.

Here's a gratuitous pic of the truck with the new toolbox on it...

I've never been a toolbox kind of guy but I have to admit it really looks good on there.

[/quote]
Old 04-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
their kits look pretty nice, the horns might also come in handy when you lose your buddies on the trail, just listen for the blaring horns
Old 04-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

Very nice. A really clean engine you have there. Mine's about the same but with quite a bit more grease on the sides of the block and lower head just because I haven't cleaned it off yet. How often to you plan to use the horn?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hysterical. You must get videos.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice truck i had a 93 like that was a standard cab no lift had about $500 worth of exhaust and intake upgrades great truck and pretty quick too till i killed it ok back on topic see that body lift came in handy for mounting those horns
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Banned

Thank you. Mine's a standard cab as well. But back on topic. Having a horn like that could actually be quite useful on a trail, as has been said. If you needed to find someone/they needed to locate you, the horn would be a great method. Radio systems don't always work with all the trees/boulders/mountains and crap in the way, so using a horn might be the best way to do it.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bunta Fujiwara
Very nice. A really clean engine you have there. Mine's about the same but with quite a bit more grease on the sides of the block and lower head just because I haven't cleaned it off yet. How often to you plan to use the horn?
I'll probably blow it 3 or 4 times a day for humorous purposes, and another 3 or 4 when I'm pissed off at other drivers.

That is until I get a ticket for it... Then I'll probably tone it down a little. It's amazingly loud.

The engine is pretty clean because I had everything apart about 2k ago doing a timing chain and head replacement. I cleaned everything off while it was apart and it hasn't had time to get dirty again yet...
Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 AM

I vant one, but dont feel like dropping over 200 for a horn setup
Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 PM

I got the OBA system all dialed in and hooked up finally...

I ran it at 180psi this morning and the horn's pitch went up and even though it was louder I didn't like the sound as well and the valve's solenoid didn't work as well at the high pressures either. I made another trip to the hardware store tonight and got new 1/2" compression fittings and switched back to the 1/2" hose, and put in the 120psi pressure switch and everything is right in the world now. The horn sounds friggin great.

I actually got a chance to use it today too. I saw this old man coming out of a parking lot and shooting across the opposite lanes of traffic and I got ready... He started to whip out right in front of me and I hit him with a 5 second blast at 180psi and he actually locked up all 4 tires and then swerved into the grass median. Then as I went around him I saw his windows were down so I hit him with a few quick blasts as I went by.

Money well spent indeed... *evilgrin*

I still have some cleanup to do with loom and routing, but here's what the system looks like in the box now...

Having the OBA system makes the horn so much more enjoyable...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Now that there is funny I don't care who you are,that there is funny...FYI there are ordinance about blowin them things, but I don't think the cops'll be lookin for a toyota when they hear it. They'll jump up on the side step of the first big rig they see
Old 05-05-2007, 09:04 AM

now i want one on my 4runner ^^

there are tons of idiots around here..
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
he actually locked up all 4 tires and then swerved into the grass median. Then as I went around him I saw his windows were down so I hit him with a few quick blasts as I went by.
aww man!!! that's sweet, he must have thought he was gonna die!!!
wake up a few more of em for me!!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got a question..i would PM you..but i cant..lol..but what kind of gas mileage do you get with the 36's and 5.29s'...preferablly before you did the performance mods to your 22RE..or just whenever..i'd like to run 35's MAYBE 36's..but not sure..(it'll be a LONG WAYS down the road) just curious..thanks