Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Good source for Denso alternators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Good source for Denso alternators?

My '87 pickup needs an alternator, and I would really prefer to buy a Denso reman over any other brand. The problem is everyone is sold out, and the Denso website says part number 210-0106 is on national back order. Does anyone know of a source that could possibly have one? Maybe a place that has them stocked in their own warehouse? I have tried all the usual local and online stores, googled the part number, etc. and have had no luck.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:09 AM

Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts
Any chance your current alternator just needs brushes? Other than that, perhaps eBay, maybe someone is selling one. I ordered a Denso AC condenser back in June, and I'm still waiting on it, Denso must be experiencing some kind of a delay getting their parts manufactured...Covid maybe slowing things down.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Checkout local pick and pulls might be able to get a working one for cheap until you can get a remand unit shipped to you.

have you checked out toyotapartsdeal and the other wholesale sites? Shipping is taking a bit longer but I've been able to get parts

TPD Link: VERIFY PART NUMBER
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...060-35061.html

Removed amazon link, looks like it wasn't denso but tricked me with the PN in the title.

A bit more searching and I see mcgregor and olath (sp?) with it available. Might be worth calling and see if they have any in stock for shipping? I've gotten parts from both places that they happened to have in stock. Might get lucky

Last edited by COMTB; 07-17-2020 at 06:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I've always used Denso products with solid results.
However, I recently replace the alternator on my kid's '86 p/u with a remanufactured Denso unit and it failed after about a year. When looking into the issue, I found Denso has discontinued the product.

I ended up using a new part...PURE ENERGY 14668N (Made in Malaysia)
Cheers
RAD4Runner (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:29 AM

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
Any chance your current alternator just needs brushes? Other than that, perhaps eBay, maybe someone is selling one. I ordered a Denso AC condenser back in June, and I'm still waiting on it, Denso must be experiencing some kind of a delay getting their parts manufactured...Covid maybe slowing things down.
Agreed. Mostly likely it just needs brushes. They're pretty easy to replace as well. And cheaper than a replacement full alternator.
swampedout (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the replies! It actually charges fine, but somehow the mounting hole for the pivot bolt has enlarged enough for it to be rattling against the block enough to both hear it and see it move, even with the lower bolt tightened all the way. I am thinking I can probably sleeve it if I can find a way to drill the hole straight enough, but I don't have a drill press at the moment and was hoping to get the truck on the road ASAP.

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
I've always used Denso products with solid results.
However, I recently replace the alternator on my kid's '86 p/u with a remanufactured Denso unit and it failed after about a year. When looking into the issue, I found Denso has discontinued the product.

I ended up using a new part...PURE ENERGY 14668N (Made in Malaysia)
Cheers
That's what I was worried about. I saw on some Land Cruiser forums that the Denso alternator was not as good as it used to be, so maybe another brand is a good idea anyway.

COMTB: Thanks for the link. Any idea who remans for Toyota? I always thought that was Denso.

I am starting to think the best solution might be to just re-brush a junkyard unit and call it good.
The following 3 users liked this post by the_supernerd:
Mr. Z. (07-18-2020), old87yota (07-17-2020), swampedout (07-17-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by the_supernerd
Thanks for the replies! It actually charges fine, but somehow the mounting hole for the pivot bolt has enlarged enough for it to be rattling against the block enough to both hear it and see it move, even with the lower bolt tightened all the way. I am thinking I can probably sleeve it if I can find a way to drill the hole straight enough, but I don't have a drill press at the moment and was hoping to get the truck on the road ASAP.

That's what I was worried about. I saw on some Land Cruiser forums that the Denso alternator was not as good as it used to be, so maybe another brand is a good idea anyway.

COMTB: Thanks for the link. Any idea who remans for Toyota? I always thought that was Denso.

I am starting to think the best solution might be to just re-brush a junkyard unit and call it good.
So far the reman'd stuff I've gotten has been factory denso goodness. If getting from TPD I would expect it to be a factory rebuilt denso unit
Old 07-23-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The OEM aluminum casting has a sleeve already, perhaps you can replace this?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:35 AM

Received 609 Likes on 431 Posts
Check out https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com. I haven't used them in a long time because the starter we got for another vehicle is still going 😉
Old 07-26-2020, 09:54 PM

I ended up getting a lower mileage used OEM alternator. After pressure washing years of grease of my engine, I found there is a press fit sleeve in the alternator bracket on the block. Tightening the mounting bolt pushes the sleeve through the bracket and presses it against the metal washer on the alternator, which keeps everything tight. The sleeve on my truck was stuck, so even with the bolt tight the alternator would still move. Years of this caused the lower alternator mounting hole to become enlarged, making the problem worse. I fixed it by tightening the lower bolt really tight without the alternator installed until I heard the sleeve pop loose. I am thinking the sleeve being freed might have been enough to tighten my old alternator properly, but I installed the new one anyway. It seems fine now, but I am going to keep my old one for a spare since I know it is all original re-buildable Toyota Denso parts.

Thanks for all the advice!
old87yota (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stripped fixing bolt solution

Hey,

I know this wasn’t the issue for the OP but I thought I’d add it here in case anyone else has the same issue.

About 18 months ago I replaced my alternator with a remanufactured Denso from O‘Reilly’s. A couple of days after installing and adjusting everything my belt got loose and started screaming. I found that the tension adjuster threads in the alternator were stripped and so it wouldn’t hold tight. Instead of installing another replacement alternator; I installed a longer tension adjuster bolt (same size and pitch, I think M8) and added a lock washer and nut to the back of the longer bolt (which sticks out past the back of the threads). It’s been holding tight for the last 18 months or so.

I know the older Denso alternators are desirable but I’m assuming finding good cores to rebuild will become harder and harder as time goes on. This might help someone keep & rebuild an otherwise good alternator. It also saved me time.

Happy Trails,
Winky
Old 07-27-2020, 04:34 PM

Received 807 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by the_supernerd

i replaced the original alt on one of my '87s recently. went with a reman'd denso from someone (need to check my files) and the original pivot bolt didn't fit in the "new" alt. i had to ream it out to get it to fit. once reamed, it has worked fine so far, but it was a frustration to not have it work out of the box.

edit: i bought it from DB Electrical on Amazon, paid $76.09 delivered.

Last edited by wallytoo; 07-28-2020 at 05:07 PM.
RAD4Runner (09-02-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:15 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
i replaced the original alt on one of my '87s recently. went with a reman'd denso from someone (need to check my files) and the original pivot bolt didn't fit in the "new" alt. i had to ream it out to get it to fit. once reamed, it has worked fine so far, but it was a frustration to not have it work out of the box.
I'm on alternator number 3 (?, before I finally just pulled the powersteering belt off the leaking pump, but I digress). In my case I've always had to trim down the alternator pivot table since the sleeve is all the way into the bracket and it just doesn't fit with out filing off I dunno 1/8th inch of the tab..

Frustration is doing this in -10° with a 20mph average wind speed in my case I've done that twice.
RAD4Runner (09-02-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Denso remans for Denso. Who knows about others. Our 05 Avalon needed an alternator and I didn't want a reman one. I ended up buying a Toyota from Toyota Parts Deals and their website did not say anything about new or reman. I took a chance and bought it but I was surprised when it arrived the box said "REMANUFACTURED IN USA BY DENSO USA" at their Tennessee plant. I took a chance it was brand new for $300.
The following 2 users liked this post by anndel:
old87yota (07-29-2020), RAD4Runner (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 666 Likes on 457 Posts
Found a good price for DENSO Reman at NAPA.
Also, what do you think of NAPA's Raybestos remanufactured?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-02-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:59 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I either replace them with NAPA or rebuild them, if all they need are brushes.
RAD4Runner (08-27-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 453 Likes on 249 Posts
new ones are available form toyota still, if anyone cares. toyota orders them directly from denso, im not sure what the difference is exactly but i assume cheaper parts are used in the parts store models. took about 6 weeks for me to get mine form the dealer.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:09 AM

My Alt stopped charging. all pins check-out good, so it must be the alternator. Core is a Denso.
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I either replace them with NAPA or rebuild them, if all they need are brushes.
Took it apart to inspect brushes, interconnects, etc and clean. That is supposed to be a very simple, routine job. However, I found the head of one of the bolts that holds the brush holder down stripped/rounded! Local rebuilder AES (wwwDOTautomotiveexchangesupplyDOTcom) must have reused a bad screw. Now, I can't even check the brushes, and would have to spend too much time extracting the screw, cleaning/inspecting, finding replacement screw, re-assembling if successful and having it tested.

...reman'd denso from ...from DB Electrical on Amazon, paid $76.09 delivered.
@wallytoo , I found it on Amazon. How is that alternator working out.? $76 is a good price for a Denso! If bolt did not fit, could it be they did not use real Denso housing and ony used cap with "ND" stamp and affixed a Denso sticker? OR clearance hole was deformed?

Most of them have good warranty, but...
Fellow members, how's your experience with Denso's remanufactured by Denso/Warrantied by Toyota that you bought from Toyota dealers or Toyota stores online (Toyota Parts Deal, Lakeland Toyota, McGeorge Toyota):
When warranty expired and it was time to re-furbish was is it still serviceable or was there a problem with rebuild like I experienced above?

Reman Denso from DB Electric Through Amazon
EDIT: THE PHOTO ON AMAZON IS MISLEADING. THIS IS A BRAND-NEW AFTER-MARKET FROM CHINA, NOT REMANUFACTURED BY DENSO IN THE U.S.A.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-05-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:20 AM

Received 807 Likes on 529 Posts
ray, the db denso is still working fine. it does appear to be denso parts, not just a sticker.
RAD4Runner (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:57 AM

ray, the db denso is still working fine. it does appear to be denso parts, not just a sticker.
Thanks, Wallytoo. Did you have to return core?

Quick Reply: Good source for Denso alternators?