Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

going to attempt EGR block, kinda confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to attempt EGR block, kinda confused

after reading into several egr mods(yes, I've done the search) I think I'm more confused than ever. I want to do the simple EGR block, that way I can leave everything in place for now so it appears to be stock and to make it easy to return to stock in the unlikely event of selling it.
looking at this -> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-3vze-186854/
its pretty obvious what part was blocked off, but from this diagram -> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...cation-250923/ seems to label it as the PAIR valve. From the reading, blocking off the EGR means I don't have to tamper with the PAIR, but was the PAIR really blocked off and the EGR left alone?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM

not against just blocking all 3 if that won't cause any issues or make it more complicated, it looks like several who've gone the deletion route block off everything but would I then have to use the fuse trick to keep the computer from sending up a code 71?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
EGR and PAIR are reversed in his diagram. I'm not entirely sure what the "fuse trick" is, but yes, the system will throw code 71 if the EGR system is not working. There is a way around it (there's a way around everything).

What do you hope to accomplish by blocking the EGR? Do you think it will improve performance in any noticeable way? Even Mattz604 passed on trying to explain why he did it. It sounds like he thought he was 'simplifying' his engine, but if you want to have any hope of selling your truck (or if your state starts a smog program) you'll need all those parts working again.

If you are having trouble telling PAIR from EGR, is this really the project you want to undertake? It's not like you can look it up in the manual (and your careful internet search only made it worse -- par for the course with an internet search).

You can tell my view on this whole process. The EGR's only function is to keep America's trucks (and cars, and buses, ...) from poisoning us all. Just leave it alone.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can just pull the vacuum line off the EGR and plug it. EGR blocked. Simple. However I suggest leaving it alone too. It doesn't hurt you in any way whatsoever. You will gain NOTHING by doing this. In fact you could be hurting yourself. The recirculated exhaust gas serves to cool the combustion temperatures- might be helpful if you are trying to avoid a popped head gasket or burnt valve.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM

EGR and PAIR are reversed in his diagram. I'm not entirely sure what the "fuse trick" is, but yes, the system will throw code 71 if the EGR system is not working. There is a way around it (there's a way around everything).
That was what I suspected. The "fuse trick" is using a fuse to complete the circuit when you take off or disconnect the EGR, and fool the computer into thinking its still present and functioning i.e. the way around it
If you are having trouble telling PAIR from EGR, is this really the project you want to undertake? It's not like you can look it up in the manual (and your careful internet search only made it worse -- par for the course with an internet search).
are you familiar with the term gaper? I don't have a manual, the PO lost it before I purchased the 4runner, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread. And I'm familiar with conflicting information on the internet, that's why I always read all the information I can find, then ask opinions and questions before I try to do something I'm unfamiliar with, rather than just acting on 1 obscure post.
I'm hoping to get smoother engine performance, which has been pretty consistently reported by people who have done the mod, also will keep the engine a little bit cleaner. I wouldn't be considering doing this mod if I had seen so many positive reports from the people who have done them. I'm aware that it could increase my engine temperatures a bit, and that's part of the reason I just want to do a block off rather than complete removal of the system, if I find its running hotter I can just pull the plates out. Also, 95% of my driving is freeway and my offroading has all been between 6,000 and 8,000 feet, so not too worried about problems with pinging reported with using lower octane gas.
might be helpful if you are trying to avoid a popped head gasket or burnt valve.
actually that's a prospect that terrifies me, but at 269,7xx miles on with a 3vze I was told was totally stock, I'm averaging 18~19mpg on 31s. I think my engine is in pretty good shape.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM

oh and I live in norcal and my 4runner is registered in Mono county, where now that it has passed smog once (extremely clean according to the test) I don't have to smog it again for as long as I own it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 PM

I did it yesterday and drove all over today! It ran so much better and quieter, also I live in Memphis where today it was 101 degrees and iUit did not run hot at all. I went the route of cutting the tube rirght where it goes into the block, made a plate put of a coke can and closed it off. 30 minutes start to finish.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Land Runner
I did it yesterday and drove all over today! It ran so much better and quieter, also I live in Memphis where today it was 101 degrees and iUit did not run hot at all. I went the route of cutting the tube rirght where it goes into the block, made a plate put of a coke can and closed it off. 30 minutes start to finish.
Sorry for spelling, doing this on new tablet and I have fat fingers!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM

I went the route of cutting the tube rirght where it goes into the block, made a plate put of a coke can and closed it off. 30 minutes start to finish.
just the one tube? thats what my plan is, except instead of cutting any of the tubing I was just going to unbolt it from the block and put the plate on then bolt it back together
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM

I modified it a little today! I cut the tibe from the egr to the plenum and just used the mouning bracket as my plate with a beer can foled in half between the two then bolted it back up. Then I removed the egr completely and the capped the tube that it was connected to on the underside. I have done the resistor trick and zip tied it out pf the way. So much cleaner under there now!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

the tube on the right (my left hand) is the one that you cut right?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM

I wasn't expecting the tube as it wasn't pictured in any of the threads I saw

Last edited by vehicular gaper; 08-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

just a sec, can't get the image to show up

Last edited by vehicular gaper; 08-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

[IMG]www.yotatech.com/members/vehicular+gaper-albums-egr-picture25434-egr-003.html[/IMG]

Last edited by vehicular gaper; 08-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM

If you are standing on passenger side by right front wheel it will be on your left. That is the one I made the plate from and cut the plenum off and also cut the tube back into egr. Then I cut the egr on the underside just above the threads and used it as a connector from the other tube to the cap I bought at home depot.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/members/veh...4-egr-003.html
Can't get the pics to show, but here's the link to the picture in my album
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM

http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=egr009.jpg
and here
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM

The one in your left hand I cut on both sides of the mounting bracket with a cutting wheel and smoothed out to make flat . I used it as a template to cut a tin can to covef the whole and rmounted it.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM

You can do the same exact thing with the one in your right.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I removed the pair and EGR. No codes show at all for the last year. Check my build thread. You have a California truck so you may have a different result since my truck was communist free. Obd1 on my 88 doesn't care if the emissions are unplugged, and yes she runs much better on a truck with over 200k.

Last edited by RBX; 08-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: going to attempt EGR block, kinda confused