Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Glowing Red Turbo, Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My A/F gauge is a wideband and it reads at about 15-15.3 at idle and at about 10.2 under full load and 8 pounds of boost. I will look into getting an EGT gauge. When I mount it, do I position it in the manifold or in the downpipe just after the turbo? I have an infrared temp reader so maybe I'll see what that reads at idle.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That lean idle AFR is pretty good, but what about lean cruise? 10.2 at WOT is stinky rich, but a lot of older factory turbo cars are like that.

The EGT should ideally be positioned as close to the leanest cyilinder's exhaust port as possible, but between the engine and turbo will be fine. Putting it after the turbo will show temps roughly 200-300°F lower than actual.

To recap, your AFRs appear to be in order and the ignition timing is good. I think that just leaves spark quality and driving style. How are your plugs/wires/coil? Is there any boost showing when you were driving on the highway? What kind of gage is it?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:44 AM

It depends on how fast I'm going as to where my AF sits. as long as it can pull higher rpms it doesn't need the boost and runs at 14-14.7 cruising, but most of the time it can't pull its own weight without boost and it will run 12.5-13.2 with up to 4 pounds of boost. This is according to my Autometer gauges. My plugs have looked okay. I have been pulling them out at every fuel fill up (only 180 miles to the tank by the way), just to make sure I'm not detonating and eating a piston. I've been trying to listen for pinging but my exhaust is a little loud so it makes it hard. The coil and wires are stock as far as I know.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
Advancing the timing typically causes lower EGTs.

Timing sounds about right. Even if your engine was under just a few psi of boost while cruising, that is likely enough to make the exhaust manifold glow a dull red.
Advancing the timing will cause higher egt's. ive owned an alltrac for years and know a thing or two about turbos.
it isnt abnormal for the turbo to glow either if you are doing highway speeds. what you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me. just make sure your timing is correct and you are getting no pinging and you will be fine.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedRNR
It depends on how fast I'm going as to where my AF sits. as long as it can pull higher rpms it doesn't need the boost and runs at 14-14.7 cruising, but most of the time it can't pull its own weight without boost and it will run 12.5-13.2 with up to 4 pounds of boost. This is according to my Autometer gauges. My plugs have looked okay. I have been pulling them out at every fuel fill up (only 180 miles to the tank by the way), just to make sure I'm not detonating and eating a piston. I've been trying to listen for pinging but my exhaust is a little loud so it makes it hard. The coil and wires are stock as far as I know.
Stock wires from 1986? They are probably due for a change then

It sounds to me like it just takes a fair bit of throttle and some boost to move the truck around, which will often make the exhaust parts glow slightly. I tend to think that there isn't really anything wrong with your engine.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM

I used my temp gun and took a reading from the top of the turbos exhaust housing before and after I dropped the timing and it didn't seem to change anything. I dropped my timing from 10 to 5 degrees and it still looks forkin hot! I just don't want to cook this new turbo that I have way to much money into already. I'm reading just a little over 700 degrees on the exhaust housing after driving it and then letting it idle for a good five minutes
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're certain the turbo is getting adequate oil flow, I'd chalk it up to your 4,350' elevation. Turbos work harder at elevation, creating extra heat. I don't recall if the 22RET is a normalizing turbo (boosts to sea level) or other (boost above sea level) that would make it even hotter.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM

was it dark or poorly lit around the gas station? My dirt bike header glows a good red when it is idling in the dark but you would never see it in the daylight.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to make sure your cat isn't clogged. A lot of backpressure on the turbocharger can raise EGTs too.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedRNR
I'm reading just a little over 700 degrees on the exhaust housing after driving it and then letting it idle for a good five minutes
700° is pretty low, but your idle EGT is not the issue. What does the temp gun say after the engine has been under load for a while?

Originally Posted by BT17R
I don't recall if the 22RET is a normalizing turbo (boosts to sea level) or other (boost above sea level) that would make it even hotter.
It's a regular turbo that boosts Xpsig. I have only heard about normalizing turbos being used on aircraft and maybe special applications.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I deal with turbo aircraft engines mostly, prolly what I was thinking.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My EGTs run as high as 1450* F
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a little guide line on metal color and temps: http://911research.wtc7.net/cache/wt...s/metcolor.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM

What are you using to cool your oil?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Here's a little guide line on metal color and temps: http://911research.wtc7.net/cache/wt...s/metcolor.htm
is that in the dark or well lit/broad daylight? He said he was driving home from work, which could mean it was starting to get dark and since it is a little darker it would be very easy to see any kinda color forming. Like my motorcycle example in my post above.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 PM

do these turbos use water cooling as well. my car cools it with oil and water and it still glows pretty good.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 88alltrac
do these turbos use water cooling as well. my car cools it with oil and water and it still glows pretty good.
Well indirectly I can see water used, but not directy. I guess you mean the oil cools the turbo and the water cools the oil.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88alltrac
Yes, the CT20 has a water cooled centre section.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM

I am no RTE pro
but IF your egt probe is in the down pipe after charger @ 700'c
thats TOO HOT as u will loose 200-300 @ hot side of turbo charger

CHECK YOUR OIL SUPPLY + RETURN LINE
it should not glow @ idle
also if its water cooled check water feed+return

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
Retarding the timing causes the burn in the cylinder to start later and end later. Combustion temps are lowered, but the burn is ending closer to when the exhaust valve opens. Retard it enough and it could even send burning fuel out the exhaust.
Using a stand alone engine managment systems
this is how you run charge air ANTI-LAG
AKA....boost @ idle with no load
its the in a street car.........
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Well indirectly I can see water used, but not directy. I guess you mean the oil cools the turbo and the water cools the oil.
yea the water directly cools the turbos.
so the 22rte uses the ct20? interesting. so does my car. makes sense i guess. it shouldnt glow red just idling but if you where driving it fairly hard then keep it running it will stay hot for a while.
what is your oil pressure like? are the coolant lines connected?

Quick Reply: Glowing Red Turbo, Normal?