Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Getting shocked

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Getting shocked

So, while monkeying around with my 1995 Toyota pickup 22re over the past few weeks, I keep getting zapped when touching the spark plug wires right near the distributor cap, and the issue seems intermittent.. That can’t be normal? My NGK wires are about 5 years old, but look really good and supple still, at least, as best I can tell there are no cracks or issues. I’m also getting a miss when gas applied but no load between 1500-3000 rpms. What do you think? Thanks
Old 02-27-2021, 07:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There was a time I was getting shocked when reaching past the distributor cap and wires on my 3vze to check ATF. I replaced the wires and no more shock. I had a miss at idle with those wires as well.

Last edited by az4x4runner; 02-27-2021 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:14 PM

Zapped

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
There was a time I was getting shocked when reaching past the distributor cap and wires on my 3vze to check ATF. I replaced the wires and no more shock. I had a miss at idle with those wires as well.
Hey,

Yeah,I’m just leaving O’Reillys now with new cap and wires in hand. O’Reillys/parts store brand parts aren’t my usual as I prefer oem Toyota/Denso/Aisin for these trucks, but we’ll give it a whirl and see what happens.

Also, adding more info.. Today I had just completed a cam swap and rocker arm refresh WITHOUT pulling the head when I started getting popped with spark while monkeying with timing etc. I realize the risks and if it blows, it blows... I’m doing a head gasket. I went from a 272 with 110 lobe separation to a 268 with 114 separation. My idle seemed to search around a little more than normal over the years and so I decided it was time (after nearly 3 years with the 272 cam) for a change/experiment. As I said before though, she shocked me a few weeks back intermittently. We’ll see how this cam goes and if the spark issue persists. Any ideas how to test for arcing spark without getting zapped? Of course, I have spark plug wire pliers and spark testers. Lastly, the spark seems to be getting to the cylinders, as when I pulled each wire at the cap (after getting shocked) I observed a change in idle. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:40 PM

Received 631 Likes on 461 Posts
Have a look at the wires with the engine running in the dark.
snippits (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:01 PM

Sparky

Originally Posted by millball
Not a bad idea. Duh.. Seriously. Obviously I need a break from this truck.. Thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 AM

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Good call! If it's arcing any at all, you will definitely see it at night. Seen it happen more than one time over the years.

Also, if it's arcing, one can hear a ticking sound from the arcing.

Last edited by snippits; 02-28-2021 at 04:37 AM.
millball (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:04 AM

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts
Do it in the dark!
If you can't try this:

Rednek spark test, 100% effective. Hi viz indication.
(this is a joke, please don't do that!!!)
ToyoDerp (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Please, for the love of god, take the Oreilly's wires back after ordering a set of NGK or Denso wires for your rig and installing them.

I went through a huge hassle with the crappy ones from Oreilly's on my truck. They are garbage. PERIOD. The NGK ones are actually better than OEM, if you can believe that. LOL They even cost $15 more for a set. Or go with OEM Denso if needing to keep it cheaper and strictly OEM. But once again, the Oreilly's plug wires are such garbage, it should be a crime to sell them. I went through a few sets of everything they had for the 22RE and they all sucked in one way or another.

Plus, the purple NGK wires look cool, which adds 30HP to the wheels when the hood is up and people can see your hot wires!

I think this is the set I got for my 22RE. (might want to double check, since Amazon is bad at verifying if the parts fit certain models/years of trucks)
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ToyoDerp; 02-28-2021 at 08:36 PM.
2ToyGuy (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:59 PM

O’Reillys v. NGK/Toyota/Denso

Originally Posted by ToyoDerp
Please, for the love of god, take the Oreilly's wires back after ordering a set of NGK or Denso wires for your rig and installing them.

I went through a huge hassle with the crappy ones from Oreilly's on my truck. They are garbage. PERIOD. The NGK ones are actually better than OEM, if you can believe that. LOL They even cost $15 more for a set. Or go with OEM Denso if needing to keep it cheaper and strictly OEM. But once again, the Oreilly's plug wires are such garbage, it should be a crime to sell them. I went through a few sets of everything they had for the 22RE and they all sucked in one way or another.

Plus, the purple NGK wires look cool, which adds 30HP to the wheels when the hood is up and people can see your hot wires!

I think this is the set I got for my 22RE. (might want to double check, since Amazon is bad at verifying if the parts fit certain models/years of trucks)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ha ha.. of course! Hilarious. I laughed as soon as I read this.. I know. I have three 22r/re powered vehicles. An 81, 86 4Runner, and the 95 pickup we’re speaking of in this thread. Trust me, I’ve been round n round with O’Reillys crap. Funny though, after installing the wires and removing my older NGKs that were arching, the problem stopped. They work AND they fit much tighter at the cap (cap is Denso). I never installed the cap I bought last night as installed would be obvious upon return, with contact wear.. Interesting, I always thought the NGK wires were a tint of blue? I do like that color they use either way. Wish they made em in red for my 4Runner. I’ll get something better ordered, don’t worry.. I was thinking OEM maybe, as I’ve ran the NGKs for years on ALL my vehicles. I’ve seen the Denso’s on RockAuto.. maybe.