Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gen 2 4wd swap lost reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 2 4wd swap lost reverse?

did a 4wd swap on my 94 3.0l with a donor trans/tcase and after a recent run around the neighborhood i completely lost reverse. dropped the pan and found of the magnets that was supposed to stuck to the pan stuck to one of the solenoids. I figured it probably trashed it so i swapped in replacements. New ones are physically smaller than the original ones, not sure if that is a problem. put it back together and no change. all the forward gears are fine and there was no metal shavings, only bronze flakes (looks like glitter, nothing big). So before i drop a grand on a replacement trans/tcase from a local toyota junk yard, have i done all of the reasonable checks or am i missing something? i am guessing the previous owner of the transmission knew it was trash and gave me a good screwin'. I am not discounting the idea that the magnet may have killed something, or who knows what.

I know it is engaging reverse because it tries to move, but just barely has any power. not enough to move though. and possibility there is a loose wire or anything along those lines?
Old 08-19-2021, 06:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Always good to know where all the parts came from?
From what your saying this was the first time with everything installed you tried reverse and it did not work?

Things worked for some time till reverse no longer worked??

When you pulled the transmission pan the coil from the reverse solenoid had fallen off .

Your100% positive your new solenoid works and the Transmission is indeed in reverse?

The wiring for the transmission has been merged correct if it was not from your year and model plugs might match but pin outs can be different.

Good Luck!!

Sounds to me like the last owner was having problems with reverse already attempted to fix pulled things and you ended up with the problem.

Any History Given at all ??

What was the mileage given when you bought this ?? The downside of not being able to road test things

This is just a guess with the data you have given.

You had changed the Fluid once the transmission /case were installed upon draining the fluid in removing the pan you have non magnetic particles Which is never good.

If the coil had been able to physically get in between gears is the only way it would cause problems
Old 08-21-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse didnt work on my maiden voyage with the "new" transmission. The magnet i was referring to is one of the ones that is supposed to be stuck to the fluid pan, it apparently worked its way up to the coil and stuck to it. you have me questioning the wiring, i am wondering if it may be wrong...

Any idea where i can put hands on the wiring schematic? i know there are individual wires to each of the 3 solenoids. i wonder if there may be some inconsistency in which one goes where. I would like to test those all before i drop this transmission.

i know for sure the transmission is in reverse, it attempts to move but isn't making enough pressure to engage and actually move.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Spacecwboy
Reverse didnt work on my maiden voyage with the "new" transmission. The magnet i was referring to is one of the ones that is supposed to be stuck to the fluid pan, it apparently worked its way up to the coil and stuck to it. you have me questioning the wiring, i am wondering if it may be wrong...

Any idea where i can put hands on the wiring schematic? i know there are individual wires to each of the 3 solenoids. i wonder if there may be some inconsistency in which one goes where. I would like to test those all before i drop this transmission.

i know for sure the transmission is in reverse, it attempts to move but isn't making enough pressure to engage and actually move.
If you know the year and model your transmission came from you should be able to find someone with the Toyota Electric Wiring Diagrams for that year and the one from your vehicle .

Then you can sit down and make sure things are merged correct