Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gasoline in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update about the 94 4-Runner. They ran my vin# and the head gasket was redone in 1999. The service manager didn't seem to think it is the head gasket, as it is gasoline in the oil and not antifreeze or water. But, who knows? For my lack of funds I will just have to start with changing the oil, plugs and wires and go from there. One day at a time. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM

Ah, after-thought, it wasn't the center link (thinking about my Nissan) it was recall on steering part.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Bummer.

Well post updates and let us know.

By the way, Welcome to Yotatech!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 AM

Throwing this out there~
I recently used some steel seal on my 4Runner, seems to have sealed head gasket leak (for now). Was just wondering if it would be worth it later to swap out for different engine and what might work? It has v6 the one engine with head gasket issues. I really do not want to part with the truck. Was wondering if a 4cyl. would also give some more pep? Thanks for any input, in advance.~ All Terrain Girl~
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abe is a super knowledgable guy on this site, one of the best, and I would bet he would have given you a good hand, had you not been a right off the bat.

2nd....all terrain girl.....just an FYI, if you have an issue it's a good idea to start your own post, even if someone else's problem is similar, rather than hijack someone else's thread, plus you will probably get more help that way.

OK, that being said,

All terrian girl.....I think you'd be nuts to swap out a 3.0 for the 22re. If you're gonna swap your engine out, try to get your hands on the 3.4 V6 and upgrade to that.

I am pretty sure a HG failure would not put gas in your oil, so you may want to not jump the gun on that, and also if you do have a blown HG then an additive isn't gonna fix it.

You need to do a compression test.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 02-16-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by all terrain girl
Throwing this out there~
I recently used some steel seal on my 4Runner, seems to have sealed head gasket leak (for now). Was just wondering if it would be worth it later to swap out for different engine and what might work? It has v6 the one engine with head gasket issues. I really do not want to part with the truck. Was wondering if a 4cyl. would also give some more pep? Thanks for any input, in advance.~ All Terrain Girl~
Yeah the 22re would be a hard swap (motor mounts need to be moved) and less power not more. The 3.4 swap is easier (uses the same motor mounts) and more power.

The stop leak stuff is going to be everywhere in your cooling system now. If I were you I'd never open up the heater valve or else that stuff will clog up the heater core and its a major job to replace that heater core. Also the radiator will be clogging up too, but replacing that is much easier than the heater core. If you haven't already run the heater... don't!

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-16-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 AM

Mt Goat
Thank you for your input. The additive I used was clear, and it did stop smoking right away. When I changed the oil & filter, I realized it was anti-freeze in my oil. Since then, I have been checking the oil daily and so far, just oil. I know it was not the correct fix to do, just all I can do right now. Thank you for your knowledge. I do appreciate it.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Alright, i cleaned up the thread.

All Terrain Girl- Please start your own threads if they are not related to the topic at hand. We always encourage people to search, and post in existing threads. As long as its on the topic, as was the case in your first question. However, it started to stray, and Mmc suggested starting your own. When someone suggests that you do that, it would serve you well not to get short with them, if you expect a helpful answer.

Smartboyalex- Personal attacks removed, please do not do it again. Read the rules if you need a refresher course on how to act online.

And the rest of you, please stay on topic. A little catty off topic banter is ok, but when it starts getting into personal attacks, its out of hand. If it starts up again, individual members will be dealt with accordingly.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 02-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Bingo! After driving it, let it sit. Then pull the spark plugs. Hook up your remote starter switch and crank it over while you watch the spark plug holes. Bet you see gasoline shoot out of a cylinder.
misterzee and yota4runna,
Thanks for the guidance. I recently had a 22re from a 92 w/ 88k put into the 93 pickup my Son has. We are definitely getting gasoline in the oil. What is the cold start injector? Seperate from the injectors, or is it more of a sequence for the injectors @ startup?
yota4runna, that is a good logical test, thanks for posting it.
Also welcome more thoughts from all... will probably try and find the problem this weekend.
Is it okay for him to drive this in the meantime?

Last edited by JohnE; 01-07-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
no idea if this helps, slap some of the old parts you took off.. just for s and giggles..