Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gasket / RTV / FIGP Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gasket / RTV / FIGP Question

Hello, I am doing some work on my 90 4Runner 22RE and am a little unsure as to when to use the gasket in a tube type products (RTV, FIGP etc). At the moment I will be replacing gaskets for Valve Cover, Oil Pan, Timing Cover, Water Pump and Oil Pump. Some of these come with flat gaskets, some with O-rings and others with nothing. Is there a general rule as to when the liquid gasket materials should be used? Should they be used on their own only or can/should they be used along with the other gaskets (flat and o-ring) either to hold the gasket place or to add strength? If I go through my list, this is what I was thinking...

Valve Cover - rubber gasket is used, should I be adding anything to this rubber gasket? would it hurt to put something on it to hold it nicely into place on the top cover? If so, what is the best thing to use - rub some FIGP on it? (I realize FIGP is required along those half circles).

Oil Plan - I know that you can order rubber/cork gaskets (eg from Rock Auto) - should they be used or should FIGP be used only? Can/should you use both? I was planning on just using FIGP

Timing Cover - I believe my new cover will come with flat gaskets which I assume I must use. should I be adding anything to it - some people seem to put something on both sides to help hold in place, if so what? FIGP? I have also heard about a spray?

Water Pump - I believe my new water pump will come with a flat gasket, should I be adding FIGP or anything on either side of that gasket? Actually there is a Permatex Waterpump RTV - would that be better and if so do you use it in conjunction with the flat gasket?

Oil Pump - I know there will be a o-ring with this one. should I be putting anything on the o-ring to help it stay in place? maybe FIGP? Is an additional bead of FIGP advised?

Many thanks for your advice.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:47 AM

Received 138 Likes on 118 Posts
Valve Cover) Gasket only. FIPG on the half moons.

Oil Pan) FIPG only no gasket.

Timing Cover) I used high quality Beck/Arnley made in Japan gaskets, and coated both sides with Permatex High Tack liquid. You can get it in spray too. Some use Permatex Aviation #3.

Water Pump) Gasket coated both sides with Permatex High Tack.

Oil Pump) I just used the rubber gasket. It's been almost four years ago, so my memory is waning. I think I installed the pump on the new timing cover before I installed the timing cover on the engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by snippits:
5 Fists (02-18-2021), jay4runner (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 03:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a 3.0, but generally whatever you pull off that has RTV on it, goes back on with it.

The 3.0 had RTV on the
-oil pan
-camshaft caps
-valve cover where two surfaces meet (where head and timing cover meet)
-My rear main seal retainer
-I believe the oil pump needs it

So any area where two surfaces meet is where you will see a line between to pieces of aluminum. (I will try and find a picture later today)

Where FIPG was applied from factory there will be little grooves bored out in the piece, just clean them out really good.

Just don’t glob it on there, fill in the groove and go a little bit over that. Think when you press the two parts together that the FIPG is only there for a small layer between the two surfaces. The pressure will then squeeze the excess of it inside or outside the engine. (just don’t glob it on and you’ll be fine)

Just remember a good seal is all in the prep work. Clean both surfaces well. Get all old gasket material off, don’t marr the surface, and get all oils off of it. (brake clean a lint free cloth or rag and wipe off both surfaces). I am very picky about prep work, but i’ve never had a seal fail this way!

EDIT: this is a valve cover job from a dodge but those arrows pointing to where those two surfaces (head and timing cover) meet just put a dab of RTV.

Last edited by maxvp01; 02-18-2021 at 04:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jay4runner (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:26 AM

Received 863 Likes on 575 Posts
I recently did an oil pan with a gasket and one with only rtv. If you think you might have to remove the pan in the truck again gasket is easier to release. For convenience during reassembly, i’d stick the gasket to the oil pan. Also ok to use a little rtv to hold the gasket to the valve cover. I’ve done it this way on lots of cars. Be sure to get enough fipg or rtv in the locations identified in the service manual.
jay4runner (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:28 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Toyota FIPG sets very quickly, so if you don't want to wait 24 hours... use it.
otherwise rtv Ultra gray, or Ultra Black works.
Put some rtv on the "oring " in the oil pump... run it thru your fingers and coat it... it will help hold it on place and improve the seal.
jay4runner (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 AM
YT Community Team

Received 880 Likes on 626 Posts
I don't use anything on the valve cover gasket. I do put a swipe of sealant on the underside of the 1/2 moons, though. I think you'll find if the VC is leaking it's more from the grommets on top being flogged. Best to replace VC gaskets and grommets together.(and torque to spec.)
On the paper gaskets I use GasketCinch.
The oil pump just has the O-ring. FIPG on the oil pump may keep the O-ring from sealing properly, so I'd try something thinner. It can be a leak spot, so I swiped mine with GasketCinch. We'll see if it helps.
I use FIPG on the pan. The stuff is amazing, but you have to make sure both mating surfaces are absolutely clean with ZERO oil residue. One single drop of oil will ruin it. If you opt for a gasket try and avoid anything with cork. Cork is just the worst.

I love FIPG, but I tend to only use it where Toyota recommended. It tends to be a little thicker as a gasket than paper, which could change things.
jay4runner (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by snippits
Valve Cover) Gasket only. FIPG on the half moons.

Oil Pan) FIPG only no gasket.

Timing Cover) I used high quality Beck/Arnley made in Japan gaskets, and coated both sides with Permatex High Tack liquid. You can get it in spray too. Some use Permatex Aviation #3.

Water Pump) Gasket coated both sides with Permatex High Tack.

Oil Pump) I just used the rubber gasket. It's been almost four years ago, so my memory is waning. I think I installed the pump on the new timing cover before I installed the timing cover on the engine.
Thank you for the info!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxvp01
I have a 3.0, but generally whatever you pull off that has RTV on it, goes back on with it.

The 3.0 had RTV on the
-oil pan
-camshaft caps
-valve cover where two surfaces meet (where head and timing cover meet)
-My rear main seal retainer
-I believe the oil pump needs it

So any area where two surfaces meet is where you will see a line between to pieces of aluminum. (I will try and find a picture later today)

Where FIPG was applied from factory there will be little grooves bored out in the piece, just clean them out really good.

Just don’t glob it on there, fill in the groove and go a little bit over that. Think when you press the two parts together that the FIPG is only there for a small layer between the two surfaces. The pressure will then squeeze the excess of it inside or outside the engine. (just don’t glob it on and you’ll be fine)

Just remember a good seal is all in the prep work. Clean both surfaces well. Get all old gasket material off, don’t marr the surface, and get all oils off of it. (brake clean a lint free cloth or rag and wipe off both surfaces). I am very picky about prep work, but i’ve never had a seal fail this way!

EDIT: this is a valve cover job from a dodge but those arrows pointing to where those two surfaces (head and timing cover) meet just put a dab of RTV.

Thank you. And thanks for the picture, that helps