Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flipped my 2nd Gen into the ditch...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it was a bit insenstive of me to say what i said but if you stop to think about all the ppl in this world that are just looking for attention and willing to say whatever it takes to get ppl to read their post on fourms like this. and when i read the first post and saw that not alot of damage was done and just the motor got trashed it doesnt sound like a toyota mine ran upside down for a good 5 to 10 mins or so and didnt missfire or anything and after i read post about other guys who have rolled their trucks and they had to shut off their motors because they kept running. im not tryin to be a A$$hole just trying to understand and if im wrong i will be the first to say i am. And yes i have been in the vol. fire dept for awhile and ive seen my fair share of wrecks and never seen any truck or car or suv that flipped or rolled and didnt do alot of damage they have all been totaled. thats why its hard for me to grasp that no window was broken or anything and from what i know about snow its not the softest stuff around. so i will aplogize for my post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Italians are called "paisano"'s.....and I've yet to meet an illegal Italian!

Sorry, being 1/2 Italian.....had to mess with ya....LOL!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he means mexican also. After having to read John Steinbeck's Tortilla Flats in college lit, I'm pretty sure it refers to mexicans, and not the hard working ones.

AS for the OP question....scour craigslist and autotrader for a good deal on a vehicle that fits your needs, whether Toyota, Nissan or a domestic brand...there are lots of great vehicles out there to choose from.

Last edited by GenXr; 01-17-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM

why include that rather pointless bit about the 'illegal' in the first place? relevant to the story of a guy who doesn't know how to drive and has trouble making a decision about this car or the other? nope.

isn't there be a forum rule about gratuitous xenophobia?

(Mods and posters who actually stayed on topic: my apologies for interrupting this thread but i'm having a hard time with all the unchecked nativist rage lately)
Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
takes some pics man. Show us how bad it is. If the damage is enough sell it if its just a motor replace it with jy motor and sell it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Thank you for all your input everyone...

I've decided to pass on the Tahoe... I just cannot afford to make payments on a vehicle right now... (getting married in June)

I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a beater until I can afford the truck I really want, a Toyota of course!

My neighbor has been kind enough to let me drive his Chevy blazer whenever I want or need to until I can find another vehicle....

Its nice to drive, lots of power compared to my old 3.0... But its not a Toyota and its NOT a truck no matter how bad it wants to be one...

Thanks everyone... sometimes ya just need to talk/think it out for awhile...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
so let me get this stright....your asking a bunch of yota diehards if you should get a cheby?

i say get a junkyard 3.0 and throw it in there.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by fireman1559
from what i know about snow its not the softest stuff around. so i will aplogize for my post
Ha you clearly don't know much about snow being from alabama and all. up north where it actually snows i think we might have a little more experience with it and its softness. i've flipped my three wheeler in the snow and soared over a drainage ditch into about 5 feet of snow and buried myself up to my ankles. didn't hurt a bit, and that was face first
Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM

If you flipped your truck at 50 mph and walked away with no damage to either you or your truck count yourself extremely lucky! Go buy a lottery ticket or something.

I've been going through similar situations these days. I drive an '88 pickup that I've owned for 14 years now. Nothing special just a workhorse/daily driver and I'm looking for a second vehicle so I can spend some time and money on the old girl. I too had a rollover 3 years ago with the same results.

It's hard to shop for something that isn't another Toyota because really nothing else even compares but I do agree with the suggestion of a '90s Honda. I drove a bunch of different early 80s Civics back in the day and they are fun cars that are cheap to run and easy to fix. I would personally never buy a North American vehicle just because they are none of those things. I fear I would spend all my money and time fixing the NA vehicle and never get back to the Toyota.

I will eventually buy another Pickup but have to save some pennies first. Funny, my next ideal Toyota is the same one I'm driving now except 10 years newer. A 1998 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed, 4 cyclinder 22RE.

You can probably fix your truck for much less then $2000 - $3000 but it will take some time and patience to get the parts you need

Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toyoda22
Ha you clearly don't know much about snow being from alabama and all. up north where it actually snows i think we might have a little more experience with it and its softness. i've flipped my three wheeler in the snow and soared over a drainage ditch into about 5 feet of snow and buried myself up to my ankles. didn't hurt a bit, and that was face first
haha yea we may only get an inch or two a year. so i have no clue what its like to get alot of snow.and when it does snow it will ice over and snow over the ice again and it hurts if you when you walk out at 5am and slip and fall on the stuff. i can only really understand flipping on the 3wheeler you werent straped down to cause your only taking your weight with you not a 5,000 pound truck. see where im coming from its kinda hard to under how a truck flips end over end with doing little if any damage to the body and only blowing a motor.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well, I HIGLY doubt you're going to get BETTER gas milage with the Tahoe

could always drop in a 3.4 for half the price of that Tahoe, and get BETTER MPG than that Tahoe will ever get, and probably just as much power, lol

More. Built it up a bit and push 225hp like me!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Western Canuk
It's hard to shop for something that isn't another Toyota because really nothing else even compares but I do agree with the suggestion of a '90s Honda. I drove a bunch of different early 80s Civics back in the day and they are fun cars that are cheap to run and easy to fix. I would personally never buy a North American vehicle just because they are none of those things. I fear I would spend all my money and time fixing the NA vehicle and never get back to the Toyota.

Good Luck!

My thoughts exactly... I don't want to get stuck with a POS money pit and never get back to the good stuff (toyota)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You keep talking about the rolled truck with no damage...Where are the pic's???

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
You keep talking about the rolled truck with no damage...Where are the pic's???

Excuse me, but... I DID NOT ROLL IT...WTF.... Why is it so hard to understand the difference between FLIP and ROLL... I DID NOT ROLL IT. END OF STORY. I flipped it end over end. ONCE.

S.O.B....

I'll get pictures of what little damage there was in a few days when I get it towed to my house from the shop.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Ok so it went end over end...it was still on the roof it just went a different way. .
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM

rolled/flipped whatever you want to call it...who cares
Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

there has to be a point of impact where the front of your vehicle hits the pavement first this is where the most damage is done and at 48 mph and the front of your vehicle hits snow,asphalt,concrete,ice damage will still be done if you were going slower than what you were not aas much damage will be done but still a good bit. considering that the grille is plastic,headlights are glass,and the lower the valance is a flimsy metal so going end over end or a flip no matter how many time you flip you were still going at a decent speed to do a good bit of damage so this is why we are trying to figure out why somethings broke and others didnt like just your bugguard
Old 01-20-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm thinking 48MPH end over end makes a big boom either way. I've seen slow wrecks make a big mess. Now end over end and all that weight sitting on the front bumper then rolling to down to the windshield and on the roof and then...and then...and then...but I was there to witness the "o so gentle" end over end.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM

still even with the "gentle" end over end that would crunch more instead of shatter the truck. like crunching the hood cracking the windshield and so on and so on. either way you look at it its still impossible to go 48mph and break a bug guard cause it was on the hood. next it cant be gentle thats impossible 5,000 pounds moving at 48mph and you "flip it" itaint gonna be gentle no matter how much you drank. and the fact that you are not sore and have some brusies that sounds fishy. i will say this IF you can get pics of your vehicle and it really looks like you flipped it like noticeablely like yea he fliped it. i will applogize and never bring this up again.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by fireman1559
still even with the "gentle" end over end that would crunch more instead of shatter the truck. like crunching the hood cracking the windshield and so on and so on. either way you look at it its still impossible to go 48mph and break a bug guard cause it was on the hood. next it cant be gentle thats impossible 5,000 pounds moving at 48mph and you "flip it" itaint gonna be gentle no matter how much you drank. and the fact that you are not sore and have some brusies that sounds fishy. i will say this IF you can get pics of your vehicle and it really looks like you flipped it like noticeablely like yea he fliped it. i will applogize and never bring this up again.
He Didn't Flip IT!!! IT went End-Over-End!!! Don't you read???
Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
He Didn't Flip IT!!! IT went End-Over-End!!! Don't you read???
hahahhaha sorry end over end

Quick Reply: Flipped my 2nd Gen into the ditch...Advice?