Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First real trail run.....possible hydrolock? :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did the exact same to my truck the day after i bought it!!! lol ... planned on buyin a new block then just swapping the rest and buying the rebuild kit and new rods. well bought all that then found a really good rebuilder in the area he quoted me at over 2 grand to have the motor rebuilt from top to bottom and ready to throw in ( my motor is a 3vz) but it was going to take him over a month to even start on the motor and probaby a month or two to have it ready to be bolted in.i planned on it being my daily driver too ... just buy a motor off ebay find a good company with some kind of warrantie,. i paid 1500 and 160 shipping. it shipped out the oct24th and should be here today the27th.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$1,500 is a little too high for me, I mean I only make like $300 a month when I go to school, plus my family is pretty poor right now so they can't help.

That $300 engine sounds nice. lol.

I'm not having someone rebuild it. There is no way in hell I could afford that.

It's either drop in a already fabbed one, or rebuild it here.

hmmmm........
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 AM

Good news!!!

I tried again, now I heard a clank than a whirring...

I think the starter might just be toast, what do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
its very posible that the starter is shot, try putting a breaker bar on the crank pully bolt and turn the motor over by hand
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 AM

what trails did you go to? cliff or badlands?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 AM

Disregard thsi post

Last edited by Dan.3; 10-27-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks I will try that EZrider.

Neither BAMF CT2004 (lol Dane Cook) it was in Crystal Lake. .5 mile north of 31 and 176. I'm 45 miles NW of Chicago, so it would be a little ride for you.

If it is the starter I would be blessed. Any idea on the cost of a timing belt and water pump kit? I might as well do that, and do the drive belts, and flush the coolant before winter. It's gonna be a long few weeks.... No DD for work and school =
Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 AM

where are there trails up there? I never heard of them. that drive isnt anything compared to the badlands. I would love to see the pics you have. how many acres is it? I know where that is. I have to go up there sometimes. I have been to northern Illinois medical center and I have been to crystal lake as well. 31 and 14. I have only seen flat farmland. Maybe Im missing something.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Yeah, I am interested in seeing these trails as well? That is not far from me.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Once I get my truck back up I'll be taking much more pics.

Defiantly a good idea to have mudding tires. It's really bad back there right now. I have pretty bald Goodyear Wrangler RT/S and made the trails where 70's broncos and k5 blazers usually are (they are poopvoids here). They left us stranded twice. The 4Runner kicked ass, and it handled pretty well.

Heres the video of the noise.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
um, yeah, sounds like the starter motor is shot, the battery doesn't have the juice to even give it a full turn, or the mechanism that pushes the gear out to line up with the flywheel it's enguaging. I'd say drop the starter and take it to a parts store that can test it, and bring the battery too (might as well), and see what they say

if your handy with tools, you could probably get away with rebuilding your starter, otherwise just by a new one with a lifetime warrante

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it sounds like the starter has problems. I dont know about the clanky noise, but the click click click is the exact same noise that mine made when mine went out. Deff test the battery and the connections on the starter, they could just have muck on them. clean it all good!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM

then how did get pin striping from a mud pit
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM

I have an extra battery so I'm gonna charge that one and test it too.

I think I'll just get a new starter. lol. (after I test it)

BAMF CT2004 I went up to Woodstock earlier. I made the mistke of going on an ATV trail. :shudder:

Now all I hear is whirling. And the voltmeter drops considerably.

For Xmas I'm going to get a new buffer, so i can get my paint nice again.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 24Runna
I have an extra battery so I'm gonna charge that one and test it too.

I think I'll just get a new starter. lol. (after I test it)

BAMF CT2004 I went up to Woodstock earlier. I made the mistke of going on an ATV trail. :shudder:

Now all I hear is whirling. And the voltmeter drops considerably.

For Xmas I'm going to get a new buffer, so i can get my paint nice again.
I have a nice pinstripe on my roof from going down a trail shortly after a hurricane down here in Fl this last season. Just barely squeezed under a branch of a fallen tree, lol. It's on my roof, so no big deal really; I brushed some touch up paint over it to keep it from rusting, so we're good to go!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:13 PM

I just google mapped the area you were talking about. Im sorry to break it to ya but those are not real trails. When you get you truck running and want experience some real trails you should come out the the cliffs sometimes or you can come out to the badlands for toys for tots. I would recommend waiting til warmer months though do to the fact if you were having issue there you will definitely have issues at the parks.

Aside from that I would definitely have you starter and battery checked out along with possible the alt. You battery could be should enough volts just doesnt have the amps to turn you truck over. Which in return the battery will kill your alt. Alt is very easy to pull. If you want have the battery and alt checked first since they are the easiest to get at. The starter isnt bad. just kind of a pain but not hard. Unless you had water coming over the hood the odds of you hydro locking its is very very slim.

Some pics from the cliffs incase you are wondering
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...cliffs-144747/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...hicago-151027/
Im the silver 88 running with no top on. truck is all stock with 32 mud terrains

if you search on youtube for the cliffs insane terrain you can get some good vids too. Good luck with the truck

Last edited by Dan.3; 10-27-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks BAMF CT2004. Google earth doesn't show it like it actually is. I'll get some pics up soon. (Not saying you're wrong, just that it is harder than you think)

Sounds like a plan, but first I need to clean the engine. It is CAKED with mud. I probably should plug up the spark plug holes and take out the battery and then giver er hell? lol.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

hey bamf, does your CT2004 have crome rims you made yourself out of aluminum foil?

I like to throw jolly ranchers in the back of my CT2004 and let my friends jump in, then I turn on the drum and let them bounce around and try to catch the candy

oh no, you 2 are not the only ones, lol
Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hey bamf, does your CT2004 have crome rims you made yourself out of aluminum foil?

I like to throw jolly ranchers in the back of my CT2004 and let my friends jump in, then I turn on the drum and let them bounce around and try to catch the candy

oh no, you 2 are not the only ones, lol
incase you have or havent already click on my youtube link in my sig. I think you will enjoy (superfinger)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 24Runna
Thanks BAMF CT2004. Google earth doesn't show it like it actually is. I'll get some pics up soon. (Not saying you're wrong, just that it is harder than you think)

Sounds like a plan, but first I need to clean the engine. It is CAKED with mud. I probably should plug up the spark plug holes and take out the battery and then giver er hell? lol.
as you will come to learn mud sucks. not as fun as everyone thinks it is. It can clog up your radiator, cake you engine and trans and overheat your stuff. Plus when you have to work under and you have dirt falling on you face you learn to avoid if and when possible unless you dont mind the dirt on your face when you are working under your truck.

Are your trails legal. I would be interested in checking them out. I could be completely wrong about what I saw on google earth. are the trails off of 176 just northeast of 31?

Quick Reply: First real trail run.....possible hydrolock? :(