Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

exhaust crossover pipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust crossover pipe removal

I have an exhaust leak in the crossover pipe. Has anyone a good suggestion to remove the crossover pipe from the engine compartment? I have it unbolted but can't get it out!! (1993 x-cab, v-6, 4wd). Are there any mods to eliminate the crossover pipe? Thanks Mon!!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get it out - I think most would agree you will need a good sawzall. It comes out best in 2 pieces. If you want to eliminate the crossover pipe - consider headers. I think one guy tried re-routing the crossover pipe around the tranny and it made a buzzing sound or something, at least that's what I recall. Part of me wonders if there was some sort of collector or resonator at the point where the re-routed pipes meet, if that would make a difference in the sound, and then put the cat right after that, and then run it to a muffler. OH well, we can always dream, I only wish I had a ÅÅÅÅload of $$$ to try a bunch of these different idea's out.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think you are going to get it out in one piece unless you unbolt the cab and raise it up. I think the time spend lifting the cab would more then be made up for during the rest of the process. How did you find out the leak is coming from the cross over pipe?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I'm gonna do.

Buy a 2.25 "performance" downpipe to replace the factory one. Take it to the muffler shop and have them fab up a piece from the other side and tie it in before the O2 sensor and tadaa a Y pipe. Can't hurt things thats for sure and likely not too much more then getting a new crossover and the hell that goes along with installing it.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:32 AM

I heard from the guy that did that before (with the buzzing noise) and think he did a few things wrong. He had 2 different diameter pipes running to the Y pipe, and it created a flow imbalance (& maybe the buzzing). He didn't use a pre-fabbed y-pipe, so I'm uncertain if the flow was optimal. His y-pipe was 6" downstream from the 02 sensor, throwing off the ECU. Lastly, he kept the driver's side exhaust manifold and stock downpipe, which was larger than/flowed better than the passenger side. I've been thinking up a cheaper way to improve the exhaust flow short of changing to headers, and I have 2 options.

1) The y-pipe conversion that's already been tried, but with a few refinements.
Keep the passenger side like it is with the smaller pipe going down to an actual
Y-pipe. Have the Y-pipe a few inches BEFORE the 02 sensor fitting. Now, get
an extra passenger side manifold, block off the emissions ports, and fit it to the
driver's side head. It WILL bolt up, it'll just be upside down, but still blowing
toward the firewall. Run a pipe (same size as other side) from that manifold
down to your Y-pipe. Now both sides have same pipe diameter, same exhaust
manifold flow, equal backpressure/flow, and the ECU can still read all cylinders.

2) This method retains a lot of the stock system, but eliminates the exhaust getting
dumped into the driver's side manifold. Remove crossover pipe and install a
block-off plate where it used to enter the driver's side manifold. Cut the left
side end (driver side) off of the crossover pipe, sharp bend and flange. Fab a
curved pipe to attach to the end of the crossover. This is going to run the
crossover pipe gasses down and next to the downpipe. Determine where to run
a y-pipe on the original downpipe, so the offset port of the Y-pipe points back
to the firewall. This is where the new "extended" crossover pipe will dump into
the exhaust. Fab up some pipes to join them, maybe even add a bolt up flange
in between to simplify removal later. Now the exhaust doesn't meet in the
driver's side manifold anymore, eliminating the burnt valve problem. It also flows
better, and somewhat retains the factory designed "scavenging effect". This
was a recent idea and I don't know if there's enough room in the truck to
actually do it, but I thought it couldn't hurt to share!

3) Or just get headers and make me envy you because I can't afford them.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 AM

Honestly I think the fact that he bypassed the 02, used differing pipe and didn't give the ECU a chance to adapt were what killed the project for him. We'll see though I'll have mine done is the next few weeks.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Cool

Exactly! You da man!
Whoops! For anyone reading my previous post, I was told the passenger side manifold will NOT bolt up to the driver's side (at least not without some modification ). One set of holes is 1/4" off. Oh well, just another challenge to overcome.

Last edited by Radyota; 01-22-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Tag for future reference.

I remember the last time somebody tried messing with the crossover, I'm interested to see the results of someone else giving it a shot. Makes so much sense...
Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 AM

If you look at some of the aussie boards it is pretty common over there.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 AM

I retract my previous statement (oops part). The exhaust manifolds ARE INTERCHANGEABLE!! You CAN eliminate the crossover pipe and use 2 passenger side manifolds for an exhaust system. I actually fit the manifolds onto the heads, so I'm sure they fit. Opens the door for possibilities...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:40 PM

man how does someone get at that one bolt on the drivers side DP part closest to tranny....im stairing at it and jus tpissed becuase you cant fit a 1/2" extension through there...took 30 min a bolt to get the other too out becuas eof the douchebag who put these bolts in on the LAST hg change...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM

I haven't looked at the exhaust manifolds closely yet, just got the 4Runner, but am already thinking about modifying the exhaust. So, you guys are saying that the manifolds actually have different sized outlets? I was actually thinking of just hacking off the stock exhaust except for the O2 sensor and having dual exhaust put on. basically two small mufflers and pipes that would exit just before the rear wheels. This is hypothetical, since the cat would likely get removed or replaced with two higher performance models. This would mean that the O2 sensor would only get readings from one side at this point. Any thoughts? If the manifolds are different, this probably won't work very well. I want headers, but man they are spendy....