Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electric fan considerations and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
thx SCToy, I didn't realize there was 100% sealed fans out there. You would think having an e34 myself, I would have noticed those SPAL's on bimmerworld. lol. I probably did, but didn't realize they were sealed.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just gotta read the fine print. The race fans are not sealed (I guess for extra cooling on the fan's motor?) but the one I bought is definitely sealed. We had one we took apart after the wires got caught in the belts and ripped out. Oops hehe.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
look into the taurus fan.
i guess the CFM rating is really high, something like 3500CFM, for a factory fan..
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 AM

That's the thing with the Taurus fan, I am sure it has a higher cfm rating then the OEM clutch fan on our trucks, but how well is it gonna like mud and water kicked up on it? And I am not just talking dirt with water, I am talking mud bog type mud as well.

That SPAL fan looks like the ticket, but at $100 for one, it's kinda pricey.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you have a tarus fan? i got dual ones from the junkyard for $25 bucks...so i mean if you get a years worth of use out of it b4 it goes its still a STEAL, im sure it will be fine with the mud/water they have to have some sort of seal for oem use anyways right? im planning on putting dual tarus fans on my dodge 2500 and a single mark 3 for the toy next time i go..
Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 PM

No taurus fan yet. Just the stock setup for now.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed.

I have been banging my head against the wall as to whether or not to do this mod...going back and forth from the Villager/Taurus mod and the Flex-a-lite fan and ...well...doing nothing.

I'm in Phoenix so I see the extreme heat in the summer and have to climb pretty good mountain grades to get out of the heat. I do not really have a heat problem, but I also only have the stock temp gauge. My clutch for the fan *feels* like new at ambient (I have replaced one for a friend recently and they feel the same).

I would like improved cooling knowing that the 22RE overheating is a weak point. That said, my main want is to see if I can improve the A/C at crawling/idle speeds. It blows cold at speed, but blows barely cool on the trail or at idle. I have read here that some folks have noticed a big improvements in those two situations by adding an electric fan.

I was convinced that I was going to buy the bone yard Villager fan ass'y with the control from dccontrol.com. Then I started doing the math and it was about $140 and a fair amount of time for the Villager mod + control. The bolt-on Flex-a-Lite is $240 shipped with controls, NEW, not Chinese built, 13.9 amp draw, and what seems to be a pretty easy install.

Then I read this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...x-165-a-63155/

with a fair amount of overheating problems post-FAL install...including this quote:

I have to agree... the FAL 165 fan is a POS! I experienced the exact same symptoms... I went through a new radiator and thermostat before I posted here and asked questions.

I called FAL tech services and explained the problem. He asked if i lived in Phoenix or other high summer temp area. I said no. St. Louis, which gets hot and humid but rearly over 100*. After telling him it was very noticable in the amount of air getting moved between the stock fan and FAL, he agreed, and said " Well i guess this fan wont work for you truck".. Well no ˟˟˟˟˟! Since the fan is only 4-5 months old, he agreed to issue an RA# to the place where i bought it for a refund... I told him that many other people on this board have experienced problems with this fan.

Definitely save your money and put it toward another mod.
I also looked further at the FAL and was not too thrilled with the lack of coverage by the shrowd (granted a V6 radiator):

So now I'm back to a Ford 2-speed (for today at least) if I can realize an A/C performance gain. I just don't know how to quantify the gain.

Last edited by angrybob; 08-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM

do the taurus fan and dccontrol it is awsome. I have this setup and it works great, the control is nice no big power draws. i think i have the 85a variable control so it starts is slow and runs low unless it needs to go faster to cool more. it takes time to get the control but it is worth worth every penny.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM

its not that bad of a mod the fan fits pretty well with just slight trimming.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Still voting on the SPAL, think the box says 1600 CFM, sealed, just under 100 bucks for the fan brand new. I just wired it to a switch because I hardly ever use it, but it's so loud you really couldn't forget to turn it off and walk away.
Made a little video so you can see it in action.

Last edited by SCToy; 08-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM

^^^^^^^^^ Great info x 2.

Any noticeable A/C improvement? Heh - you don't even get any heat up there in the *north*.

Last edited by angrybob; 08-10-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM

I don't know, the AC is removed from the bimmer, saves about 40 lbs, it used to be tracked quite a bit.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM

that fan is noisy!!! taurus fan $40 bucks mine hardly goes past half speed. so on your bimmer you dont have the fan on much?? must be a good radiator!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by angrybob
^^^^^^^^^ Great info x 2.

Any noticeable A/C improvement? Heh - you don't even get any heat up there in the *north*.
I live in Yuma, I can't comment on A/C, but I'm using FoMoCo fan, low speed, and just rigged up with switch and a relay for now. It's smoother and quieter than any other electric fan I've found, but I think that I would greatly benefit from a controller, it pulls so many amps and CFM that it actually cools too much, and drains my old electrical system QUICK. That being said, a newer vehicle with A/C would probably benefit quite a bit from this fan, with or without a controller.

Remember though: there are all kinds of taurus/mkviii fans to be had! anywhere from single speed 17" to dual speed 19"! I grabbed mine for $25 from the junkyard, but only after pulling about 5 unique fans from all kinds of fords. Also, there are different shroud sizes; I got the biggest I could find over-all and had to cut the shroud down significantly, but now it sits about 1/2" from the radiator core itself and is VERY stable. I couldn't imagine ever needing the high speed for anything less than a highly modified 22r(e)...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
that fan is noisy!!! taurus fan $40 bucks mine hardly goes past half speed. so on your bimmer you dont have the fan on much?? must be a good radiator!
It has a huge aluminum mishimoto radiator, new water pump and all new lines, it's way overkill. I just have the fan for stop and go traffic. I plan on doing the same thing to my truck, you can actually fit a pretty large radiator with some modification.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM

thats cool, plus in Santa Cruz its not as hot as it is here in Fresno. gotta love the coast.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I just don't understand why anyone would put an 85-amp fan in a truck with a 60-amp (max!!) alternator & expect things to last....

There isn't an electric fan made that can approach the cooling capacity of the stock fan.

Why?? Help me understand....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 AM

TNRabbit I think c0ugar69 was talking about an 85a variable controller not the fan itself, probably similar to this:

Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I just don't understand why anyone would put an 85-amp fan in a truck with a 60-amp (max!!) alternator & expect things to last....

There isn't an electric fan made that can approach the cooling capacity of the stock fan.

Why?? Help me understand....
Ha, yeah, no way any fan we could fit in these things could pull 85amps! Max startup pull from the low speed is still under 30a, or I would blow a fuse every time it started! I think the low speed pulls something like 8 amps, high speed 14... been a while since I saw the chart though, so could be wrong. Regardless, my voltage reg is probably crap, not to mention the obvious other electrical issues, hence why I said that on a newer (ie:working) electrical system, the fan would be fine.

Also, there's no way the stock fan pulls the same as the high speed on the FoMoCo! I've seen 800hp 'stangs use these on the low speed!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Someone has to know and can prove what the CFM rating on our factory clutch fans are. I scoured the FSM and of course no mention of it.

I can't seem to find even a CFM rating on a mechanical flex fan either.

Quick Reply: Electric fan considerations and opinions