Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

El Jibarito 87 22R “Amor en el Tiempo de Oxidación”

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
El Jibarito 87 22R “Amor en el Tiempo de Oxidación”

Aight. Looong time lurker, first time Toyota owner. Really dig the pool of good information between here, marlin crawler, and all the other pros. No clue how far down the owner list I am but got my first Toyota, a puertorriqueño 87 22R 4x4. I’ll post a few sweet pics of the beginning then fast forward soon to now at a current rebuild of a 22R block/head from a first gen 4Runner I snagged for $150.

Upon buying this truck it needed lots of work, didn’t have an air cover/filter, tail/brake lights not functional, headlights and various other electrical pieces suffering from bad grounds and hot-wiring, previous collision (2wd grille), hack job rear box to haul horses, very abused and neglected suspension/brake systems, dirty ass interior (still kinda is), you get the idea now for the sweet pics.

First pick ever, back home in the old house in Cabo Rojo

Nice!

Putting it to work! Big hunk of mahogany to be milled

so there’s a big timeline gap between these 4 but pretty much everything that comes next was from rockauto/ eBay... Motor, diff, and tranny oil change, inner/outer tie rods and alignment, front/rear brakes, rotors/drums resurfaced, drivers side window crank arm, kyb shocks, LED tail/brake lights, rod bearings (a story for later), Weber 32/36 with spiral adapter and block plates from LCE, new radiator/hoses, thermostat, hacked of the top of that horribly loud box to make more of a flat-bed-with-rails, energy suspension sway bar links, upper and lower ball joints, front wheel bearings/seals. I may be forgetting a few items but I’ve just been trying to refresh this thing as much as possible.

its a great truck, just wish previous owners cared more.

Next plans are to rebuild the spare engine I have and put it in, going to avoid boring if possible just want it fresh and clean not loud and hot, eventually redo the flatbed and try to incorporate a headache rack, patch the floor panels, add mass backing and some material other than the bare metal that is currently there, probably need new shocks after all the green wood I’ve been scavenging that fell after Maria, finally fix the self adjusters in the drums since I always have to back the star wheel off about once a month, other miscellaneous steering and suspension stuff, maybe some more fancy bushings. Hope to get more pics of the new to me engine build up soon

Cheers
The following 3 users liked this post by puertofrito:
N_Aviles (09-04-2019), old87yota (09-03-2019), SomedayJ (09-12-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Welcome!

You definitely found yourself a project truck!

It sounds like you are having fun both repairing and driving it!

I see the previous owner really didn't care about the poor wiring. That is too bad. You are fixing it though, so it will be more reliable.

The following users liked this post:
puertofrito (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 453 Likes on 249 Posts
good progress so far. I would suggest getting rid of those shackles before they topple over.
old87yota (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
"Love in the time of rust?" Very cool working truck. Love the "jails", reminds me of Panama and Philippines in times past. Where'd you get the logs? I wouldn't suppose much large mahogany available there anymore>
Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by keycw
good progress so far. I would suggest getting rid of those shackles before they topple over.
I’ve been looking at options, I’d like to give the ZUK mod a try and get new shackles at the same time. A lot of people roll with these homemade shackles and tell me not to get rid of them but I’m skeptical.

Originally Posted by JJ'89
"Love in the time of rust?" Very cool working truck. Love the "jails", reminds me of Panama and Philippines in times past. Where'd you get the logs? I wouldn't suppose much large mahogany available there anymore>
Little play on Love in the Time of Cholera. Yeah it’s a very versatile method of keeping unwanted visitors away. There are still a lot as well as other hardwood species, the weather here is very kind to vegetation. My friend has found most of them, he knows a guy that works for the municipality of San Juan who gives us a heads up.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome hermano! My truck also came from the island. It spent 17 years based in Barranquitas. My father bought it new in Massachusetts and had it shipped to PR in 2000. He shipped it back to the states in 2017. Nice to see a fellow Boricua on here. Cool truck.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by N_Aviles
Welcome hermano! My truck also came from the island. It spent 17 years based in Barranquitas. My father bought it new in Massachusetts and had it shipped to PR in 2000. He shipped it back to the states in 2017. Nice to see a fellow Boricua on here. Cool truck.
Nice, Barranquitas is beautiful. Unfortunately right now I’m living in Carolina and it kinda sucks, demasiado cacos. What were you’re shipping costs if you don’t mind? The truck is Borinquen, but I’m just a loser gringo ha. My gal is from San German so we moved back here about two years ago.
N_Aviles (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 AM

Took this hunk o metal to the machine shop yesterday, total will end up being around $400-$450. Anyone have input on rebuild kits from rock auto? It’s a little hard to figure out country of origin on some of their parts, sealed power brand seems like a decent mid grade price option unless I’m wrong. I’m also looking at products from 22re performance
The following 2 users liked this post by puertofrito:
N_Aviles (09-04-2019), old87yota (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by puertofrito
Nice, Barranquitas is beautiful. Unfortunately right now I’m living in Carolina and it kinda sucks, demasiado cacos. What were you’re shipping costs if you don’t mind? The truck is Borinquen, but I’m just a loser gringo ha. My gal is from San German so we moved back here about two years ago.

LOL, Well welcome all the same! Vehicle upkeep is tough on the island. Disposable income is nothing like the states and the island is brutal on vehicles. It's a minor miracle that truck is still out there doing truck thing, lol. My truck had it's fair share of mechanical maladies when I received it and I had provided most of the replacement parts it's whole life(20 year and counting Toyota/Lexus parts guy here). Most vehicles get by with very little money and a lot of ingenuity. Where are you originally from?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 AM

LOL, Well welcome all the same! Vehicle upkeep is tough on the island. Disposable income is nothing like the states and the island is brutal on vehicles. It's a minor miracle that truck is still out there doing truck thing, lol. My truck had it's fair share of mechanical maladies when I received it and I had provided most of the replacement parts it's whole life(20 year and counting Toyota/Lexus parts guy here). Most vehicles get by with very little money and a lot of ingenuity. Where are you originally from?
I know, it’s amazing how many mechanics are out here though. My friend works for himself as a mechanic and it’s predominantly front end, suspension, steering, drivetrain stuff since the roads are so bad. I probably shouldn’t be sinking more money into this truck but hopefully I’ll be able to break even whenever I sell it after putting the rebuilt engine in. It has a terrible noise people have told me it’s the piston pin, also bad bearing noise when it starts cold. Yeah man I was creeping on your thread, looks like a good truck, I wish mine had AC haha. I’m originally from KY.
N_Aviles (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Oh, forgot to tell you about shipping. I live in Houston, TX. The closest shipping port that comes direct from San Juan is in Jacksonville, FL. It cost about $1000(crowley) total to get it shipped from PR to FL. I flew one way from Houston to Jacksonville, took a taxi to the port and drove it back. I had a cousin in Biloxi, MS and I stayed there(about the half way point) on the way to Houston. The drive was good, me by myself enjoying the nostalgia that is my pop's old truck. Other than a lethargic engine(it needed a tune up bad) and unbalanced tires the ride was fun.

Last edited by N_Aviles; 09-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Oh, forgot to tell you about shipping. I live in Houston, TX. The closest shipping port that comes direct from San Juan is in Jacksonville, FL. It cost about $1000(crowley) total to get it shipped from PR to FL. I flew one way from Houston to Jacksonville, took a taxi to the port and drove it back. I had a cousin in Biloxi, MI and I stayed there(about the half way point) on the way to Houston. The drive was good, me by myself enjoying the nostalgia that is my pop's old truck. Other than a lethargic engine(it needed a tune up bad) and unbalanced tires the ride was fun.
Nice, well I think I’ll be selling this dirty thing whenever I move. I am tempted to find a good first gen 4Runner to bring back to the states someday. There are quite a few nice ones that go up for sale every so often.
ev13wt (10-04-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 04:01 PM

Took some time to sort out all the bolts and nuts and clean all the crud off of them. The original timing cover has a little epoxy at the top on the outside and a very tiny crack on the inside, I’m guessing it could be from the hidden bolt I’ve heard people forget or don’t see. I plan on using the original oil pump, new seals of course. But I cannot remove the front seal, it is hella stuck on there and extremely tough trying to cut it a bit with a razor. Might end up getting a new one

Last edited by puertofrito; 09-05-2019 at 04:03 PM.
old87yota (09-06-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The tool to get that seal out is a seal puller, it has little hooks that slide under the metal lip and allow you to crank it out. If you carefully chisle it inwards it will fold up and come out.

A new pump might not be a bad idea, have you checked the tolerances on that one?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The tool to get that seal out is a seal puller, it has little hooks that slide under the metal lip and allow you to crank it out. If you carefully chisle it inwards it will fold up and come out.

A new pump might not be a bad idea, have you checked the tolerances on that one?
I guess I’m just being cheap. Even the FSM says to get it out with a screw driver but it seems fused to the metal. Checked the tolerances and all seemed good. The gears have little arrows on them, if I remember correctly on disassembly they were facing outwards towards the harmonic balancer but I’m not sure if they’re supposed to line up with something on the pump body...

the pictures with the gauge inserted were the biggest that would fit with slight drag.
.005” gear to body
.008” small gear to crescent
.009” big gear to crescent
.003” side clearance
old87yota (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
My small screwdriver

I used this one, and a hammer.. Yeah that rubber gets pretty stiff. Just don't gouge any of the important bits, I had the benefit and problem of the engine was holding the oilpump still.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 09-07-2019 at 05:39 PM.
puertofrito (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM

I feel a little dumb, finally got that oil seal out. The small screwdriver/hammer popped it right out. Anyways, got the block and head back from the machine shop today! Looking nice and clean. They had to bore it to .40 but no worries, just makes it basically like a superturbo charger right? I have new pistons, rings, and bearings ready to go in, all that is left is to buy some new gaskets, head bolts, water pump/clutch, and timing cover. The machine shop also put new valve seals in and welded the head. Stoke level is high

old87yota (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Keep up the good work!
Siempre adelante. This is probably really low quality but from a visit to Barranquitas a few months back

The following 2 users liked this post by puertofrito:
N_Aviles (09-16-2019), old87yota (09-16-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by puertofrito
Siempre adelante. This is probably really low quality but from a visit to Barranquitas a few months back
Beautiful. Do you know what barrio that is? I have family in helechal, and barrancas. Close to the Pueblo.

New addition today. New shift knob and 3 inch extension. Really makes a difference

ordered an extension for the transfer lever too

Quick Reply: El Jibarito 87 22R “Amor en el Tiempo de Oxidación”