Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Double check transfer case fluid drain procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Double check transfer case fluid drain procedure

I just want to double check the procedure for changing my transfer case fluid. Ive got a 1994 4Runner 3VZE AT.

Here are two pics. The first is my transfer case where I circled two plugs. I believe the the red top one is the fill plug and the bottom green one is the drain plug right? But then if you look at the second picture, there is some kind of oil pan attached to the transfer case. Do I also drain fluid out of this pan too when changing the transfer fluid? In the second pic the orange drain plug is my transmission pan drain plug but what is the green plug for? What is that pan? Is it attached to the transmission or transfer case? Do I drain it when I drain the transmission fluid or do I drain it when I drain the transfer case fluid?

red is fill green is drain right?

orange is transmission drain plug, what is green?

Last edited by joestox; 02-25-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Front of the truck is to the right in the second picture, yes?
If the above is true, I am guessing, from the shape and location, that green is the engine oil drain plug. I believe that you were correct concerning the green plug in the first picture, but I'm not so sure about the red. That doesn't look readily removable, like the green does. No hex socket in it, no hex flat sides on the outside. I'm not entirely sure just what red is for, honestly. Maybe it IS the filler, but I may well be wrong.

It would be big help for us to know the year and model of the truck, and the model of the engine. Like 1987 4Runner, 22RE, 5 SPD MT. Just as an example. That would tell us a lot, so we could tell you. Does that make sense? That's why many of the people on the forums put all that info in their signature lines. Makes it easy to just glance at the post and know exactly what we're all talking about.

Not a heck of a lot of help I'm afraid. Sorry.
Pat☺
Old 02-25-2022, 11:11 AM

Hey @2ToyGuy Thanks for the reply. Front of the truck is to the left of the second picture - not the right - so its not the engine oil drain plug. This is the rear-most pan.
This is a 1994 4Runner 3VZE AT.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:20 AM

Aha! OK, now I know what we're looking at. Let me check the FSM and see what I can find.
I'll be back asap with (I HOPE) a decent answer for you

Pat☺
Old 02-25-2022, 11:33 AM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
that's the drain for the transfer hydraulic control unit, in which lies the transfer planetary gear unit. the rear of the case houses the transfer output shafts (front & rear) along with the drive sprocket, chain, and driven sprocket. there are 3 drain plugs to remove when changing the ATF system. you have shown all three. one in the transmission, one in the transfer hydraulic unit, and one in the transfer chain unit. use ATF dexron II. the two in the pans are refilled via the dipstick tube in the engine bay. the chain unit is filled via the plug you noted in your picture.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:23 PM

OK, Found it!

Second picture, those are the transmission (left, orange) and transfer case (right, green). First picture, orange is the filler for the transfer case. Once I put my glasses on, I could see that it's, in fact, a bolt. I apologize. Green is the chain case drain plug in the first picture.
My eye, yes, only one left, is getting on in years, and not the best any more If I could find one, I'd use a monocle, just cause it'd look cool

From the FSM:

Transmission drain plug forward, transfer case rear.

Chain drive drain and fill (same as transfer fill.)

Alway remember to remove the filler plug BEFORE the drain plug, in case the filler plug is difficult to remove, you don't wind up with the fluid drained out, and no way to fill it back up!

From the looks of it, the transfer case fills from the transmission. When you fill the transmission, you fill the transfer case at the same time. I believe. I may be wrong, but that's how the book looked to me.
The chain case is essentially the first picture, drain and fill as described above.

Does that help at all?
Pat☺

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 02-25-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:21 AM

That is perfect @2ToyGuy What manual is that? I use this manual but its hard to find stuff in it.
http://web.archive.org/web/201007181...es/repair.html
Old 02-26-2022, 11:16 AM

It's an FSM in PDF format I have saved. Now ask me where I got it...

It's in the same basic format as the link you gave. It's just a matter of learning how things are "organized" in it.

Glad it was some help anywho. I wish you all the best!
Pat☺