Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Do you ever start work on som ething and then end up with a whole other project?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 03:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you ever start work on something and then end up with a whole other project?

So last weekend I was looking to upgrade my stock horns. I thought I would find the wiring behind my washer jug because of the location of the horn. I was quite wrong. When I removed my jug, I broke the nipple on the washer pump. I didn't think that just pulling the jug out I would break anything. So I had to replace the pump. Lucky I still had a washer jug that was from a 3nd gen '92 Camry. It was sent to me because my original jug in the Camry I once owned had oddly crumbled. It was the wrong one for my model since I had no ABS and the mistakenly sent me an ABS model jug. The wrecker just told me to keep it and refunded my money. I still had this jug under my house where I keep stuff I might need someday some nearly 20 years later.
So I luckily remembered that I still had the jug and thought the washer pump would fit. It did with a minor modification. The plugs are different. So I removed the wires from my plug and temporarily plugged in the wires from the plug into the Camry pump and then duct taped it until I go to a wrecking yard and get the right plug from a Camry.
My original washer pump had a crack in the body. The top fell apart when I removed it from the jug. I don't really know if it ever worked since owning the truck but it does now with the pump from the Camry. Other pumps from Toyotas may work for our trucks with or without modification like I did.

The busted pump housing

The broken nipple

Broken pump top and broken brushes

The two pumps, Camry one on the right

Pic of Camry pump in pickup jug.

Pump plug removed of wiring

Wiring temporarily taped until new plug is sourced.

Last edited by Blėach; 02-19-2022 at 03:59 PM. Reason: corrections
The following users liked this post:
2ToyGuy (02-20-2022)