Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

do you ever get tired of putting money/time into your yota??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
When I get tired of working on one, I let it sit a while until I get the itch to get back to it, so I just keep swapping from Toyota to Toyota. I got just a few to work on of my own, not to mention (4) in my shop right now as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know what you all mean, when the rear end locked up on me and the cops
looked at me like i stole it, i thought "thats it, your goin on craigslist"

well i got on craigslist till about 4am after gettin it home at two, sourced
out a couple rear ends, called everyone and they were gone...
found the only one on the west side of the valley quoted 260 online
got it and a bunch on random interior stuff for 246 cuz my friend cut his thumb open, got it all together and said "i cant believe i said that, i love this thing, its my first car wanted one since i was eleven and got it for 16th bday, and goin to the grave with (or in) it"

the trick is to step back, give it some time and go at it again. personally ive decided to stepback, make sure it runs good and then build it when i get older, im 18 and dont really have a job that could do what i want to it. i just plan on keeping it running well (holdin onto it) and buildin it when i have a job where i make some money and have some time off to use it.

Last edited by 87AzRunner; 07-21-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM

i know i get tired of putting money into my 4runner since i bought it in 02 i added up everything and the total including purchase price is $30k
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM

tonight's events have jarred me, and i have come to a realization. Without a proper welder, i am SOL, and right now, i am borrowing a friends welder, its useless. So for the second night in a row, i had the opposite of progress. On that, this is what need to be done, just because, i haven't even written it down yet.

Finish patching up floor boards
coat floor
replace rockers (waiting for friend with a brake to help... but its been two weeks)
take out rear window and fix wholes/rust
exhaust needs to be replace from manifold to muffler (need welder)
Finish the bed, or mostly finish (need welder)
replace driver side door

Thats what needs to happen in order for me to be happy/content and also, to sell if for anything worth while, but whatever, i'm kinda screwed at this point anyways. On a side note, immediate things, are O2 sensor died again, needs pads again, and there is a vacuum leak. All of those things should be addressed by the weekend. On a final note, there is this concert this saturday, and, i was pretty much looking forward to it like no other, but now, i can't get there because of my vehicles condition.... Ok, but i think i'm done now, its like 2 am, work starts in a couple hours..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Swansen
tonight's events have jarred me, and i have come to a realization. Without a proper welder, i am SOL, and right now, i am borrowing a friends welder, its useless. So for the second night in a row, i had the opposite of progress. On that, this is what need to be done, just because, i haven't even written it down yet.

Finish patching up floor boards
coat floor
replace rockers (waiting for friend with a brake to help... but its been two weeks)
take out rear window and fix wholes/rust
exhaust needs to be replace from manifold to muffler (need welder)
Finish the bed, or mostly finish (need welder)
replace driver side door

Thats what needs to happen in order for me to be happy/content and also, to sell if for anything worth while, but whatever, i'm kinda screwed at this point anyways. On a side note, immediate things, are O2 sensor died again, needs pads again, and there is a vacuum leak. All of those things should be addressed by the weekend. On a final note, there is this concert this saturday, and, i was pretty much looking forward to it like no other, but now, i can't get there because of my vehicles condition.... Ok, but i think i'm done now, its like 2 am, work starts in a couple hours..

I know exactly what your going through as it's the exact same thing I have been going through too. This has been the worst year for my truck in all of its 19 years. Apparantly 1st gen 22re runners with no maintainance whatsoever fall apart at 19 years of age. I have spend A LOT of money keeping this thing alive this year and crap is still going wrong. I got the engine rebuilt, lots of brake work done, paint job, sound system components, and just recently after my crappy sound system stopped working, i found a small but growing hole in the floor of my truck and after getting my truck's rear end lifted to fix the sag, my driveshaft or rear end is making noise (not sure which one it is yet). Not to mention I'm going to a old toyota car show this saturday and my truck is no were near ready.

So to make a long story short, your not alone and just keep at it because eventually things will turn around because as much of a piece of it can be at times, its still a toyota.

Last edited by eightnine; 07-21-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

My yoters never seem to last long enough for me to feel any grief for whoring out my wallet to it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Clint, have you named the new rig yet?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Actually nah, been real busy (relative term. work just keeps me away from home, but not like I do much haha), and haven't had a chance to beer-storm a name for er yet.

Up for suggestions. Or should I make a new thread for that? Hah, I just know how that thread'll go!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

BUY a Old Speed Boat then you are really throwing time and money away
Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Had one, crashed it into the damn one drunk new years eve. THAT I felt bad about.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toyota-erik
...if I was'nt spending it on my Yota, Id just be throwing it away on food or something.
from my friend to his wife... "i can spend money at the strip club or on the ...(toyota), you make the call"
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Well, more or less its been decided, i'm fixing major problems and selling it. Found the vacuum leak, replacing MASSIVE exhaust leak, and replacing sheet metal, then minor things to the bed and its up for auction. (not really auction, but auction) I know, i know, why not jut keep it at that point, because its a never ending battle, i know that now, there will be something else to fix after all this, or a new whole will pop up, minus all the stuff it already needs. I've been battling this all summer, its ether college or my truck... HA... yeah, and i am going to choose college. I don't have anywhere to store it for a couple years until i get out, and i'm not going to have the income/time to devote to ether or, thats just how that is. ON THAT BOMB SHELL, i'm ok with it, more than likely, it will go to some one who can devote time/money to it, and there will also be a day again, when i will have a yota that doesn't hate life. xD

--edit--
yes, so, i would like to add, i have zero regrets about the pickup, i'm a really glad that i bought it and did everything i did to it. I learned a crap ton after more or less restoring my pickup, and on that, i'm really close to have something very nice looking, and running well again, so i dunno, maybe i'll keep it around a little while, but probably not... i don't think i can afford the next possible breaks.

Last edited by Swansen; 07-22-2008 at 03:56 PM.