Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Differences between 1990 and 1992 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Differences between 1990 and 1992 3vze

I need to know if heads indicated for a 1992 3VZE will fit on a 1990 3VZE. As far as I can tell, the only real difference in fit has to do with the spring vs hydraulic timing belt tensioner. As mine has the spring tensioner, my sense is that it won't make any difference to have the cutaway for the hydraulics, because everything else will work fine. I need at least one head and I'm feeling like I need to replace them both and the only manufacturer I've found that has them both right now is Jegs, (( https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2887/10002/-1 )) but they specify their heads will work from 1992 to 1995 engines.

I'm also interested in recommendations from anyone who might have another source for a set of heads, but I do want to get both of them from the same manufacturer/remanufacturer.

ThanX

Last edited by DrCreosote; 08-16-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2021, 02:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by DrCreosote
I need to know if heads indicated for a 1992 3VZE will fit on a 1990 3VZE. As far as I can tell, the only real difference in fit has to do with the spring vs hydraulic timing belt tensioner. As mine has the spring tensioner, my sense is that it won't make any difference to have the cutaway for the hydraulics, because everything else will work fine. I need at least one head and I'm feeling like I need to replace them both and the only manufacturer I've found that has them both right now is Jegs, (( https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2887/10002/-1 )) but they specify their heads will work from 1992 to 1995 engines.

I'm also interested in recommendations from anyone who might have another source for a set of heads, but I do want to get both of them from the same manufacturer/remanufacturer.

ThanX
It should not matter the oil for the timing belt tensionor comes through the block not the head

I would rather have good used heads rebuilt local.

What is wrong with your heads will they be accepted for cores ??

Best of Luck !!

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-17-2021 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Because I can!
Old 08-17-2021, 09:13 AM

Thanks. My mechanic thinks the head is cracked, but he balked at actually removing it and having it checked, but he did confirm there is combustion gas in the coolant, so that's something. I've known this guy for a while and I know he starts jacking up prices on jobs he doesn't want to do. I should have caught on to that when he started talking about how expensive it was going to be to magnaflux the head. I'm probably going to drag it back home and just do it myself.

ThanX for the info
Old 08-17-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
If you need some used heads, I might be able to make something work. I have a bunch of trucks with the 3vz engine. Probably can't really sell them locally for much, so probably get just as much selling just the heads. I have a couple trucks just over 100k miles, one 2wd and one 4x4, pretty sure drive line doesn't effect the engine/heads though. Catcher is most have been sitting a long time, so having them atleast checked out locally to make sure they are in spec would be advised.

Where are you located? Local pickup (or delivery) would be a lot better than trying to ship them, but I'm pretty sure I could wrap the head up well enough to prevent damage from shipping, probably bolt it to a board first for solid support.

If you're local, I'd sell you a whole running engine for a pretty fair price if you have room to store the extra spare parts.

FYI, both trucks I'm thinking of with low miles I'm thinking were 91 and 93. I know I had a couple 89 and 90 trucks with v6's too if you wanted to get an exact match head.

Last edited by atcfixer; 08-17-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by DrCreosote
Thanks. My mechanic thinks the head is cracked, but he balked at actually removing it and having it checked, but he did confirm there is combustion gas in the coolant, so that's something. I've known this guy for a while and I know he starts jacking up prices on jobs he doesn't want to do. I should have caught on to that when he started talking about how expensive it was going to be to magnaflux the head. I'm probably going to drag it back home and just do it myself.

ThanX for the info
Wow paying labor for this job might be so very expensive parts plus labor you might be looking at $ 2000.00. plus.

It is lots of grunt work
not that hard if you take your time.

I used to have the equipment to do Magna fluxing when I got away from Certified welding I sold it
Old 08-17-2021, 12:10 PM

I will keep this post marked and contact you once I have the heads off and check them. I'm way out in California (just south of Fresno). Thank you.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Wow paying labor for this job might be so very expensive parts plus labor you might be looking at $ 2000.00. plus.

It is lots of grunt work
not that hard if you take your time.

I used to have the equipment to do Magna fluxing when I got away from Certified welding I sold it
For a lot of reasons, I'm stuck with fixing it. If he would do it for $2500, I wouldn't even complain at this point. But I do have a guy who can help me take things apart for super cheap, but I learned the hard way to check his work when putting it back together. I have a machine shop just two blocks from my house, so even if I had to carry them, at least I can do that.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Ahh, just a heads up then, the shipping would be really killer. Just a package a few pounds is like $20+ to ship there, same package to Florida would be more like $12. Not sure how that effect works when it's a lot of weight though. Either case, atleast be an option for you, finding a set of heads locally probably is the best bet, atleast when costs are considered.

Good news about my area is I'm in the salt belt, vehicles rust out way before there's many miles on most vehicles. Engines are common here, but body parts are hard to find in good shape. We also have good interiors since less sun too.

As far as the actual job of pulling the heads, I've never done the 3vz ones yet, but I suspect it's not too bad. I have to replace head gaskets (and check the heads) on a 4runner some day, it's just a play truck though. It's head gasket is clearly bad, coolant in the exhaust, heavy miss, etc. That's what I get for buying a "non-running" truck, swap out the air flow meter and find the head gasket is shot. I think that's the only 3vz I have with a bad head gasket and they have a rep for that issue.

If you're not worried about costs too much, getting some head studs would be a solid upgrade assuming there's room to slip the heads on them. In most cases on vehicles with known head gasket problems, head studs are a solid upgrade.

Last edited by atcfixer; 08-17-2021 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by atcfixer:
2ToyGuy (08-17-2021), DrCreosote (08-17-2021)