86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Debating giving up on the yota, suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating giving up on the yota, suspension advice

Pic of truck for relevancy

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought this really nice 1991 4x4 ext cab Pickup with the 22re. This one's in good shape for 250,000km+, the frame and engine have been really well taken care of.

I hurt the left side of my back at work recently. It's a manual, shifting aggravates my back injury a little, but mostly the stiff suspension is brutal. I feel like I can feel every bump and small indentation in the road. It might potentially need new front shocks, but from the internet searching I've gathered some people put tons of money into these suspensions and still get the stiff ride because.... It's a 30 year old hardworking Toyota.

I am a college student and don't have the time to work on it or do much 4x4ing (or the healthy back) but do love it for skiing and logging roads.

Has anyone had experience putting new suspension in to help after a back injury? Was it worth it? Would new front shocks be enough? Would other things like less leaf springs be the answer?
Previous owner says back shocks are newer, not stock. Feel like I should get rid of it but I do enjoy the truck, just dislike that it does not have AC.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:47 AM
osv

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
that looks like a clean truck.

i don't know jack about ifs, but that truck looks like the suspension has been raised on it? and turning the torsion bars to do it will decrease ride quality? lets get some opinions from the ifs people, you might be able to put the truck back to stock and improve the ride.

can't see what's been done to the rear end, maybe post some pics of the under carriage.

as far as your bad back, i've been there and done that, but a different type of injury where the tingling goes down the back of the leg, it was brutal and it felt like it would never end... if you just have pulled muscles on the side of the back it should heal, but maybe get a cushion to sit on... also make sure that the tires are not overinflated.
Old 09-18-2024, 03:12 PM

Received 244 Likes on 182 Posts
If the torsion bars are cranked it will ride like total stiff poo, it looks pretty stock to me maybe cause the front valance is missing it looks higher. BUT these trucks are rough no matter what.

So you are young I take it?? What’s up with the back? Have you seen what is wrong? Is this just an injury that is temporary?

Hard for us to feel your pain or how the truck rides but they ride like tanks in my opinion and if you’re looking to make it not ride like a tank, it may not be for you