Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CV Axel Play at Hub

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Axel Play at Hub

I searched the web and can't find anyone with play in this particular fassion. Just looking for some insite before I get into it. Rig is a 95 4runner 4x4 3.0

Been hearing a mental grinding in my front passenger-side wheel area for the past week. Pulled off the wheel and found that the cv axel will pull in and out of the hub unit when I pull it. Uploaded two videos to youtube so you can see and hear what I'm talking about.

My ideas for the axle play: C-clip or snap ring broken off.
Noise: back seal giving up and allow grime in there. Which means most likely front and/or bearings going bad.

Any other ideas would be much appriciated! Thank you!

Last edited by fatdavies; 04-21-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
I'm 90% sure you're missing the c-clip ("snap ring") http://web.archive.org/web/201102060...15componen.pdf, and also the "gold bolt." But it's very easy to check; just remove your locking hub.
The following users liked this post:
fatdavies (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 12:24 PM

Received 631 Likes on 461 Posts
Ideas??? Why don't ya take it apart and look???

It'll never be fixed otherwise.

Either the snap-ring is not in place, or the axle stub is broken.

Dirt is bound to enter when the half-shaft can pull away from its seals like that.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
These guys are correct. No way that should move in and out like that. I think the FSM defines a small amount of shaft movement measured out at the end (where Millball thinks your C clip is not). There are two brass bushings in that interior of that spindle that the CV axle 'rides' on. The larger inside one is probably hammered now. Plus the dirt 'gasket'. Those are like 20 bux IIRC. The good news is that inside Triple Tulip bearing on inside of CV shaft isn't frozen it would appear.

I had freaked out on mine (also a 95) because I thought the 'radial' play of like 2mm was excessive. (Never found a proper answer - but realized with that splined end for stub BOLT THAT SCOPE also refererenced, that should never really contact the smaller outer brass bushing.)

Last edited by coopster; 04-22-2022 at 05:27 PM. Reason: correction
The following users liked this post:
fatdavies (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 06:44 PM

Sorry for the delay.

So I found some time and pulled off both hubs so I could see what a good one looks like. Turns out the 12mm bolt and washers that secures the drive shaft the hub assembly are completely missing. As wall as something else that I can't quite idenfiy, even with the parts diagram that @scope103 kindly linked.

Two requests
1. Can anyone help me idenify it what the part is, in the pictures? Is that a bushing?
2. Anyone have ideas of the part numbers or a good source that can help me look those up? I assume I'll have to order this stuff directly from toyota?

Thanks for your help!

It doesn't have the bolt nor what I suspect is a bushing?

Need help identifying this part!! is it a bushing?

Will have the order the washers(it has two) and the bolt
Old 04-22-2022, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
I'm 90% sure you're missing the c-clip ("snap ring") http://web.archive.org/web/201102060...15componen.pdf, and also the "gold bolt." But it's very easy to check; just remove your locking hub.

​​​​​​​Thanks for that parts diagram and advice! I just linked some photos. Is the gold bolt the one that I can't idenifty? What is that on the parts diagram. Thank you!

Last edited by fatdavies; 04-22-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by coopster
These guys are correct. No way that should move in and out like that. I think the FSM defines a small amount of shaft movement measured out at the end (where Millball thinks your C clip is not). There are two brass bushings in that interior of that spindle that the CV axle 'rides' on. The larger inside one is probably hammered now. Plus the dirt 'gasket'. Those are like 20 bux IIRC. The good news is that inside Triple Tulip bearing on inside of CV shaft isn't frozen it would appear.

I had freaked out on mine (also a 95) because I thought the 'radial' play of like 2mm was excessive. (Never found a proper answer - but realized with that splined end for stub BOLT THAT SCOPE also refererenced, that should never really contact the smaller outer brass bushing.)
In the photo I linked is that the bushing that I'm seeing is missing? I should probably replace both, and the seals you reckon? Should I just do new bearings or if I repack them should they be okay?

Glad yours was all good!
Old 04-22-2022, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Ideas??? Why don't ya take it apart and look???

It'll never be fixed otherwise.

Either the snap-ring is not in place, or the axle stub is broken.

Dirt is bound to enter when the half-shaft can pull away from its seals like that.
Thanks bud!
Old 04-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
The "gold bolt" is the "nut and washer" in the parts diagram. (So-called because it's yellow-zinc plated, I think.) If the "snap ring" is in place, there should be no load on the "gold bolt." Why is it there? I'm not sure, but I guess it keeps the parts from going everywhere while you get the snap ring on. I don't see anything that looks like a snap ring in any of your photos. The splined part of the shaft has a part milled away for the snap ring; it's easy to find..

I just can't identify the rest of your mystery parts (sorry). Does the wheel spin easily with the "flange" removed? If so, your bearings etc. are probably good, and all you need is to get the snap ring in to keep the drive shaft engaged. Removing the lock nut and washer is necessary to service the bearing, but then you're into the procedure for setting the pre-load. Worth avoiding unless you think you need it.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:00 AM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey fatdavies.
Yes, that gold ring thingy you asked about is indeed the outer spindle bushing. Goes on the inside of the spindle. Theres also a larger Inside bushing and seal as well. Those are brass.
It looks like you've got the free wheel hub to me. Most 95's Im aware of came from factory without the free wheeling hub.
So on the axle itself there is a splined washer that fits those grooves on axle. Then comes a C-clip that you seem to be missing. Thats where the axial play is measured, and if excessive you 'spozedly replace the spindle brass bushings. OTOH with free wheeling hubs I m'self dont see why a small amount of play is worrisome. In that case the cv axle should not normally spin going down the road in 2wd.
Of course, nothing like your vids above LOL.

The wheel bearings themselves all are about the same as most vehicles; inner hub grease seal / inner bearing / outer bearing (which is not a bunch smaller than the inner).
Then you have a bearing retainer ring / inner hub nut / locking tab ring / outer hub nut. Thats probably the part Scope was talking about on the 'pre-load (setting a pretty specific torque on the first inside hub nut).