Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crunchy's flatbed build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 02:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by swampedout
What kind of welder r you using?

Were you able to tack it up without blowing through? Maybe try a heatsink behind the sheet..

Thin sheet is tricky and unforgiving. There are some good videos from body guys on the youtubes where they show some of their tricks.
Running a 180 amp 220v mig. Problem is the settings dont go low enough for 26 guage sheet metal. Only goes down to 22.
I couldn't get a piece of brass behind the sheet metal since I was trying to weld it directly over the 2 inch square tube.
I'm pretty happy with the fix though since itll make it easier to remove the panel and add some turn signals later on.
I'm probably gonna pick up a tig welder and do some practice on the sheet metal. I have some rust I have to repair on another cab.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:50 AM

So today's paint day! I still have more I'd like to add on to the bed like a spare tire carrier setup. But I'm running out of steam and it's getting close to hurricane season here in florida and I gotta free up space in the garage for my girl and I trucks.
so heres a preview of the first couple coats.

4$ a can. Got 5 cans. Used 2 already for the first couple coats

The following users liked this post:
5 Fists (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
26Ga is extremely difficult to weld, especially MIG. In my 15 years in a sheet metal shop I have never seen anyone successfully TIG that light(not counting my welding instructor in apprentice school that welded a pepsi can back together..), nevermind MIG, unless it's just using Everdur to stick it together, but that's not real fuse welding. I would recommend using at least 22Ga, but personally I would probably use 20Ga. I'm also not the greatest welder though lol.

Just my .02 as a tin basher.

Great progress! Looks good painted!
Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 5 Fists
26Ga is extremely difficult to weld, especially MIG. In my 15 years in a sheet metal shop I have never seen anyone successfully TIG that light(not counting my welding instructor in apprentice school that welded a pepsi can back together..), nevermind MIG, unless it's just using Everdur to stick it together, but that's not real fuse welding. I would recommend using at least 22Ga, but personally I would probably use 20Ga. I'm also not the greatest welder though lol.

Just my .02 as a tin basher.

Great progress! Looks good painted!
Thanks for the advice man. I gave up trying to weld that and went with some self tap screws. I think I'll end up buying some 1/8th plate and redo the template with that.
I cant imagine anyone being able to weld something that thin but I am no pro by any means. This is my 4th big welding job. I did some shock mounts for my rear axle and did the chevy 63 swap and a set of step rails.
but since you mentioned working in a body shop I may hot you up for some advice on this cab I have. I've got some rust around the windshield I have to repair. Gonna attempt that myself.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Warwagon
Thanks for the advice man. I gave up trying to weld that and went with some self tap screws. I think I'll end up buying some 1/8th plate and redo the template with that.
I cant imagine anyone being able to weld something that thin but I am no pro by any means. This is my 4th big welding job. I did some shock mounts for my rear axle and did the chevy 63 swap and a set of step rails.
but since you mentioned working in a body shop I may hot you up for some advice on this cab I have. I've got some rust around the windshield I have to repair. Gonna attempt that myself.
No problem brother, and would be happy to give any pointers, but I'll say it again, I'm not the best welder, and I wouldn't even consider myself a good welder. I do work with a couple of amazing welders though, and I know a lot of the theory behind it, I just personally haven't spent enough time behind the mask to get very good. The shop I work in is mainly an HVAC and custom metal shop, we don't do much actual body work on vehicles, so my knowledge is limited there, but when it comes down to it, bending and forming metal is bending and forming metal, it doesn't matter which branch of the sheet metal industry you come from.

Looks good mounted!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:32 PM

Paint dried, rather quickly if I might ad. Used 3 cans for the bed I may....pull it off and just run the other 2 cans for a thick coat.
fuel cell is hooked up and runs, and lights are in.
This is where I'm gonna stop for now.
I do want to add a spare tire carrier, some flooring for my tool box and a spare gas can mount.
but for now shes driveable and looks damn good!

Heres a before and after.

The old rustbucket

I do plan on adding some turn signals but i dig the look!
The following 2 users liked this post by Warwagon:
5 Fists (07-27-2020), swampedout (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Ready to rock!

What are you doing with the old one? How much to ship it to NM?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 AM

Ready to rock!

What are you doing with the old one? How much to ship it to NM?
getting there!! Did some new torsion bars today! Trying to decide if I wanna continue with an SAS build or do a long travel setup. Thinking about going total chaos.

Hell if you were in florida you could have the old bed hahaha it's just sitting on top of some old sheet metal so it doesnt fly away in this hurricane we got coming lmao

Sway away bars vs the stock ones

Sits nice and level now. I could probably lower the front a tad bit
Old 08-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Long travel! I want to see more long travel builds, but it depends on what youre gonna do with it.

Stay dry down there! What part of FL are you in?
Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 PM

Long travel! I want to see more long travel builds, but it depends on what youre gonna do with it.

Stay dry down there! What part of FL are you in?
I'm down in west palm beach.
I started building a front axle for an sas. I eventually want a full rock crawler but realistically I'm going to be in florida another 3-5 years before moving anywhere near heavy rock crawling territory. So I thought a long travel build would be a good middle ground until after I move.
thinking either TC or snatching a blazeland kit. Not quite sure yet.
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:58 PM

Well most mud trucks like the straight axle too so you might as well SAS it if thats the direction youre going.
i wish i was still somewhere with mud, loved running my 1st gen in deep mud.....
I dont get the rock crawling fascination, but i respect the builds and skills.