Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cracked Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to stray from the main topic but can I tell if I have ADD (attention deficiet disorder)...Just Kidding...by running the VIN. And if so are there any of those VIN searches that can tell me the stock info on the truck online?

I am going to try powering the pump directly with power. As well as check for that circuit..

Q#1: Do I have to drop the tank in order to reach up there and get power to the pump? And if so do I have to unscrew any of the fuel lines or just the fuel inlet tube from the top? If it involves doing anything with fuel I am not allowed to do it in the Autoskills Shop.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure about running the Vin code online. Sometimes the parts department at the dealership will run it for you and let you know. You should be able to tell if it has ADD by looking at the front diff. If it has a couple of vacuum lines and an electrical connector on it, it has ADD. I'm not very knowledgeble about them though, so hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

I haven't had to mess with the fuel systems much, so my knowledge here is pretty thin too. My Chilton's say that if you jumper the B+ and the FP terminal of the data link connector the fuel pump should run. I'm not sure if you did that already. The first thing I would do is bang on the fuel tank with a hammer handle. Sometimes a bad fuel pump will run for a while after it gets badgered a bit. If it all the sudden starts working after you smack the tank, it's a safe bet that the pump is toast.

I have never removed a fuel pump from one of these things, so I don't know how accessible the wiring is. Hopefully someone "in the know" will see this thread. Sorry, it seems like I have been pretty useless to you on this phase of the project. Good luck getting it figured out.

I have been slaving away at this most recent engine swap. It was a remanufactured long block, so I had to swap over everything. I finally finished it today, and man am I glad it is done. Aside from having the distributor 1 tooth off initially, everything went smoothly. I would have had it done last evening, but the timing issue threw me for a bit and I finally gave up for the night. It acted to me like it was starving for fuel, but today I rechecked the basics and it turned out to be timing. I am waiting for the guy to come by and get it right now (not to mention getting a check!).

Last edited by zlathim; 08-17-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Yeah,

Well today I found the circuit and pulled it out. I checked the resistance and it was a bit over what it was suppossed to be. I could not get a new relay today (dealers closed and not in any parts stores) so I just gave up and went back home. I would have just replaced the fuel pump and seen if that was the problem but as noted before I can not do any fuel related work at this shop. Which means I need to tow it back down the street to work and do it in the parking lot which will SUCK. I might just try to pull it home.

Then I read about jumping the terminals so I made some spade terminal jumpers in my garage while it was raining today and I was home bored. I am going to try that tomorrow. If I get power then great an easy fix with the relay. If not I'm going to have a friend tow me back to the parking lot I'm going to run down the street to autozone and I'm going to get to work. Not having this at my house is a really getting on my nerves. It was great at first but not that I'm trouble shooting it is just a pain in the butt.

Glad your projects are going well. Hopefully I can work on this thing without getting a ticket (not suppossed to work on them in the parking lots) and get this darn thing on the road.

I did beat on the tank a bit and still got nothing. I might give it one more try just for the hell of it though.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Well,

The epic journey is over at least at the Autoskills shop. I cleaned up all of my engine parts and old block from the table and loaded it in my truck. I then towed my truck back to the parking lot of which I got it.

BUT DO NOT DISPAIR!!! I'm not giving up. I actually had some pretty good timing today. When I went to clean up and tow it back to where I could work on it there was a freindly guy there with a huge solid axles 90 4 runner that had a 93 V6 in it. He let me swap in my relay in his truck and his truck started up just fine. So it wasn't that.

I also went and check all of my vacume hoses really quick. It looks as though I did it correctly.

Lastly I told him I had one wire I could not figure out where it went on the harness. He popped his hood and he actually had two of them. One of them happened to be the same wire. He said he had no idea what it went to. I'm guessing that you may be right about the ADD becuase he obviously didn't have it. I will look later.

I went to Advanced Auto and picked up a new fuel pump for 138 and a new fuel filter for 15. I figured way better than the 308 they were asking at the dealer. And I never thought to ask before but I was in uniform and they gave me a 10% discount...SWEET. I'm bringing some old carpet with me and my tools and I'm going to swap it out during lunch and if not done by then after work. Hopefully at that point I have a GO. If not I have no idea what to do next.

I figure the fuel pump is a fairly likely culprit though. It has been sitting in some old varnished fuel for 4-5 years.

Question #1: I don't have to take any fuel lines off or drain the tank to drop it do I?? I think I may have already asked this question but wanted to be sure. It will not be condusive to doing any of that in the parking lot.

Thanks again and HOPEFULLY I will have a Update tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 AM

I'm glad to hear that you are on the downhill slide. It is never easy to piece together a basket case (that's what I call a vehicle that has been disassembled by someone else).

It's cool that you were able to check the function of the FP relay on another vehicle. That certainly saved you some heartache. It sounds like you are getting things narrowed down and you will be up and running in no time.

I am not sure about the fuel pump. How much fuel is in it? I know it is possible to drop the tank with some fuel in it, but if it is full, it may be too awkwardly heavy to lower safely. See if you can borrow a decent floor jack if you don't already have one. That will make it a bit easier. Hopefully you can lower it far enough with the wiring and fuel lines attached to gain access to unhook all that stuff. You sound like a resourceful guy, I'm sure you will get through it ok. It's cool that you got a service discount too! I always try to support those businesses that support our troops.

Good luck, I hope all goes well and that thing ROARS TO LIFE soon.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Well,

The saga continues. You can read all about it hear.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...access-151979/

Basically spent a couple hours last night replacing a good fuel pump. Ohh well just another 140 bucks down the drain.

Today I'm going to have someone hold my 12 V source (I can't find spade terminals small enough to make my own jumper yet) to the pump and then start it up and let it at least run for a couple minutes so I can check things out.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Blown head gasket..Rebuilt 25K ago and running like a top 2 weeks ago my ARSE.

Have video will load when I get home. Will not idle either
Old 08-20-2008, 01:36 PM

Dang! That sucks. I think I would be kicking someones ass over that one. Some people just have no shame when it comes to screwing other people out of hard earned money.

Have you contacted the asshat that sold you the engine about it yet?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks!

I have a cracked head, dont feel to bad. My junk isnt living my driveway either.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Here is a couple video's.

My buddy is holding power to jump the fuel pump in order to get it to flow.

First is of it starting and idleing HORRIBLE.

Second is the massive amounts of coolant being burned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxFvUmuh0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxeOH6ejQOQ
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by zlathim
Dang! That sucks. I think I would be kicking someones ass over that one. Some people just have no shame when it comes to screwing other people out of hard earned money.

Have you contacted the asshat that sold you the engine about it yet?
Zlathim,

How long did it take you to fix the HG problem on the engine swap you just did? Also how much did it cost. I think I'm going to reccomend to the guy that he pays for the parts and a little deduction for my time and labor. I paid 600 so I'm thinking another 300 back in my pocket would be fair (if in fact it is a head gasket and just not old fulid in there) Have yet to do an actual test. I will this afternoon.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM

I think I had in the neighborhood of 12-14 hours total into the HG repair. The HG set was provided by the warranty, but I priced them at Autozone and IIRC it was about $250 :gasp:.
Try to get him to buy the HG set at least.

I don't know what antifreeze/coolant does to the evaporation rate of water, but like you, I think that it would have evaporated in 5 years. Maybe there was some residual chemicals/gunk that is causing the white smoke, heck I don't know, but I am hoping for the best for you.

I don't know if there are any Autozones or equivelant in your area, but I was able to "borrow" the block tester and test fluid from them for a $27 deposit. They refund the money when you bring it back. Or you could also do a compression test to find out what's going on, it just takes more time and effort.

The first thing I would do is pull the radiator cap and start it up. The one I repaired was leaking so bad that I could physically feel the compression escaping the radiator with my hand hovering a few inches above the filler neck. The only reason I did the block test was because the engine supplier required it for the warranty.

I am hoping for your sake that there is residual gunk in the exhaust making it smoke. I know that it doesn't seem possible, but after my repair, the pickup belched white smoke almost immediately. It did not take long for the exhaust to heat up enough to get the old coolant burning. It took longer to dissapate than I would have expected too. After letting it idle for 10 minutes or so, I actually had to drive it around a little to completely burn it all out. If you try that, be sure to keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

I'm pulling for you buddy. If you do end up having to pull the heads, I might have a tip or two for you.

Last edited by zlathim; 08-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Well,

You guys are getting my hopes up and I'm praying for the best too. But I just having a feeling that is is going to be the worst. Considering I have another 14-15 hours into a Head Gasket fix and I still don't have the fuel pump figured out I'm getting a bit discouraged. Ohh well keep driving on I guess.

Any other explanation for the loped idle then? I figured it was related to the HG failure.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Well, I am probably not the one to ask about the idle issue, but I am assuming that since you don't really have it running on it's own right now (fuel pump issue) , that you haven't adjusted the base timing. Maybe start there when everything else is ironed out. The video clip didn't last long enough for me to get an idea of how it is loping. Is it like 600rpm up to 1200 and back down? From what little I heard that is what I am guessing.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 AM

More like a stutter around 400-600 RPM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like time to break out the compression tester and rig up for a leakdown test.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Can someone supply this photo tonight.

I NEED A PICTURE TONIGHT OR EARLY MORNING.

As usaul my truck is not here so I just can't go taking pictures and showing what I mean.

I think I may know what my problem is (might be my fault). "Please read cracked cylinder and head gasket threads"

Can someone please take a picture looking straight down from where the intake tubes mount to the upper intake plenum. Just undernieth that and on either side there is an air inlet tube.

On the back (closest to the firewall) when I was putting it back together it was very obvious where the vacume line connected. On the front not so much.

Here is the question. "Looking birds eye view on top of the engine just left of the intake plenum that hooks with the actual intake tube. There is a fitting that comes straight up out of the block. If I remember right it was about 3 inches to the left. Does water come out of this...gosh darn I wish I had a photo right now.

Maybe I screwed up and an easy fix as I really trust these guys I bought the engine from. What I did was hook that fitting comeing straight up out of the block near the front of the engein with the fitting on the bottom front side of the intake plenum

Sure I will feel stupid if I did that but at the same time at least it will be an easy fix.

Thanks,

Last edited by addicted56; 08-21-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's 7 pics of my 3.0 after I took it out:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/556910670YXVlJu

Click on full size for a closer view

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-21-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Close,

On one of the rear shots I can see what made me believe I was doing the right thing on the front.

I added a photo I found on the internet to the other thread I posted tonight but when I shrank it, it really sucked. You can see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Well,

I'm about ready to give up on this thing. Everything I look at looks like it is in the correct position. I'm going to try taking more hoses off Monday after work to see if I screwed up an put some water hose into an intake line.

The guy I bought the motor from and the guy that guy bought the motor from said it was fine when they yanked the engine. That was about a month ago now. This is what leads me to think I still have something messed up.

But there is absolutely no way I could have screwed up the head gasket between now and then. Not even plausible.

Check out the the pictures. This fitting and this hose both create quite a bit of steam. Besides the obvious point that no they are not suppossed to do that what can explain the water comming out of them besides head gasket.

Ohh and a photo of the fuel pump just because.

Cracked Cylinder-img_8457.jpg

Cracked Cylinder-img_8439.jpg

Cracked Cylinder-img_8456.jpg

Last edited by addicted56; 08-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Cylinder