Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
I definatly think that adding a locker would help, but I think I'm having the problem even with all 4 tires are on the ground. I think what I need to do is film myself getting stuck so I can really get an idea of whats going on because its kind of hard to know exactly whats going on when I'm in my truck. But back to what I mentioned before, is it possible I don't have the appropriate tire sidewall thickness for the weight of my truck? Maybe its just my driving but I seem to have the problem going slow and fast, when I start lurching and bucking arond, bouncing up and down, it gets even worse when I give it more gas, unless I really just floor it and bomb up the hill, but I feel like I'm gonna break something if I keep doing that.
With open diffs you kind of need to be a little more of a skinny pedal kind of guy. Lockers make it a lot easier to get over stuff with grace, but you can still usually get over them with open diffs if you push that pedal to the floor It just beats the crap out of the truck a bit harder, and you still have a better chance of getting stuck, power to all wheels is what you need.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just put lockers front and rear in my runner and it was a HUGE night and day difference!!! i can crawl threw stuff i used to get stuck in no questions asked..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm wondering something...

This bucking and bouncing you (Fo by fo) are experiencing...might be due to the dry surface area where you live. Open diffs, no diff at the transfer case....maybe the drivetrain is binding a bit here and there as the vehicle trying to maintain traction between right side/left side and rear/front. You don't have to lift a tire to lose traction, but when you catch there's a lot of torque behind the drivetrain to propel you and send you bouncing from tire and supsension rebound.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
Yeah, I think it's more personal preference than anything, I've been building SA rigs for about 5 years now and have never (before now) wanted to cough up money for a 7.5 IFS diff locker, but those days are changing.... I do prefer a locker in the rear first though, vast improvement over open and IMO has way less effect on steering and 4wd road manners. Only my opinion and preference though like I said. A front locker definitely could never be a bad thing, especially if you are lifting tires.
I have zero road handling difference, zero steering issue, zero 4wd road manners. I had zero with just the front, and zero now with both front and rear. Simply the best.

Now I can lift tires all day long, and my truck never stops, slows, or sticks.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
I'm wondering something...

This bucking and bouncing you (Fo by fo) are experiencing...might be due to the dry surface area where you live. Open diffs, no diff at the transfer case....maybe the drivetrain is binding a bit here and there as the vehicle trying to maintain traction between right side/left side and rear/front. You don't have to lift a tire to lose traction, but when you catch there's a lot of torque behind the drivetrain to propel you and send you bouncing from tire and supsension rebound.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, though.
You have it exactly right. He is mistaking that problem for suspension. It isn't. It is drivetrain.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh...okay.