Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 91muddog
with that said i have never had to put my yota in 4wd to make it through even the deepest mud, with enough right foot you could take on anythingg
what kind of mudding do you do... lol
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcg9381
I'd say the opposite polar opposite. Momentum is no replacement for a properly designed suspension. If you have a limitless wallet, it might be good advice.
WTF? I dont care how good your suspension is or how much money you might have spent on it, when you've got 4 wheels all spinning on the ground, you need momentum! Thats a fact. If you have boggers aired down to 5psi front and rear lockers and 4 feet of suspension travel and your still spinning, then you might need some more momentum.
Look, we all know what wheeling is like. What works on one trail might not work on another. Experience, trial and error, good vehicle setup and common sense all play a part.
Sometimes you need to go slow, sometimes you need to go a bit quicker.

Last edited by techno; 04-22-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Maybe you just suck at driving.

Aaron
I thought it was a result of how ghetto his "Fo by Fo" name is.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 AM

right on there. im gonna throw in my money on techno. speed isnt always needed, but sometimes is it. especially if ur drivin something like i do. iv got a 2wd 22re. if i want to go over a parking curb with my rear wheels in dirt, iv gotta be moving b4 i get there. if i touch it and stop, im gonna spin and throw dirt. i agree that tires and lockers deffinately help, but there is always going to be a situation for everyone where u CANT make it from a dead stop.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
We're talking about the "problem" that the original poster has.
Note the he's in Tempe AZ.
Nothing around here in S. AZ warrants "hammering it"...Fred
Maybe so, Fred, but this is the WORLD wide web, not the ARIZONA wide web and people in other parts of the country will be disserved by the advice to always stay off the throttle.

Momentum/skinny is just as useful a tool in the 4WD driver's toolbox as anything else.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by fork
what kind of mudding do you do... lol
I thought the same thing , he needs to come on down to the Mississippi Delta and introduce him to GUMBO/BUCKSHOT.. He won't pull off the road without 4 wheeldrive and buckshot mudders..

Sounds like poster needs more practice driving, Ive seen 2 wheel drives go farther than a 4 wheel drive, all in the driver
Old 04-22-2007, 01:20 PM

yea 2wds. i love showin up some dude in a huge ford f-250 jacked skyhigh on massive wheels and such. the look on their face when i follow them through some pit in my 94 stock yota on highway terrain 215/70/14's. yea. driver plays a small part.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Well, at least in the unlimited traction situations of the Southwest. Try crawling mud some time...

The fact of the matter is that SOMETIMES (and especially with open diffs) keeping momentum is critical. It is important to understand the risks involved with that, and it's no substitute for being on the proper line, but you do yourself a great disservice by keeping the "momentum" tool out of the toolbox.

Originally Posted by Robrt32
I thought the same thing , he needs to come on down to the Mississippi Delta and introduce him to GUMBO/BUCKSHOT.. He won't pull off the road without 4 wheeldrive and buckshot mudders..

Sounds like poster needs more practice driving, Ive seen 2 wheel drives go farther than a 4 wheel drive, all in the driver

Originally Posted by tc
Maybe so, Fred, but this is the WORLD wide web, not the ARIZONA wide web and people in other parts of the country will be disserved by the advice to always stay off the throttle.

Momentum/skinny is just as useful a tool in the 4WD driver's toolbox as anything else.

It's simply beyond me (well not really having hung around too many forums for too many years I guess) how or why it's so difficult for some people to stay on the same page.

We're not talking about some baby poop goo or mud in some other part of the country.
We're talking about this one particular persons problem and trying to help HIM and he lives and wheels here in Arizona not anywhere else in the world.

Perhaps some of y'all didn't catch parts of his original post, to wit:

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
Hey guys, I have a 91 4runner V6 4x4, mostly stock except 32 inch tires, crappy rancho shocks, no front sway bar, and low pro bump stops. For some reason I find myself getting stuck climbing hills that are not very technical or difficult at all, in fact I see similar vehicles make it up no problem.
It's very frustrating, because I don't think im lifting a tire in many cases. I lower my tire pressure, put it in 4 low, keep it in first, and go up nice and steady. I've fixed some problems since buying my truck like loosening up the over cranked t-bars, fixing the split throttle rubber stopper, etc. But I still find myself getting stuck on very easy terrain.
My truck will start lurching back and forth violently
and usally one tire front and rear will start spinning in the dirt even though I don't gun it. It's like im not getting traction but I've had the problem even when my all terrains were new. I know this is probobly hard to diagnose online but I'd love to hear some input.
Thanks.
Note the "lurching back and forth violently" part ??
One of the most surefire way that I know of to break crap out here is to "hammer it out" when the vehicle is lurching and bucking all over (that using means boucing, which is almost certain death to hammer it then).

Also:
Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
Yeah maybe I don't give it enough gas. I sometimes just feel like if I go really fast I am going to loose control or break something.
Smart poster and he's got enough sense to know his possible limits.

So, instead of wandering off all over the world and different conditions from what he's running, maybe we can stay centered on the page and help, to which my suggestions (even offering to let him run with us to help see what's going on first hand and provide tips and pointers) and advice stand.
"Hammer it out" on the trails out here where we run, in Arizona, will break crap pretty quickly.
Doesn't matter for this thread what works in other parts of the WORLD now does it ?
This thread is about answering and trying to solve a problem or problems offered up by the original poster and, as it sounds like many don't know the conditions out here, that invalid advice is being offered and advice that's most likely to break him faster than help him.

Fred
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All depends on the terrain.

Mud without knowing whats under it may make you very unhappy. You sink, you hit a large obstacle, you get stuck.. Only fly through if you know whats under it and most times you dont! Have a friend nearby who can help pull you out!

Smooth terrain such as sand or hard packed dirt I would venture to say you could hammer it if you wanted to. That photo in my avatar is where I hammered it, after trying to go slow. I put my auto trans into the lowest gear, in 4x4 low and off I went. I tried the first time by going up it pretty slow in drive, but I didnt make it up and stalled out..

Now, rocky terrain you always wanna go slow, you need a spotter most times or need to be CAREFUL!

It all depends on the terrain folks, that being said never gun it unless you can see a clear path and you checked it out and already tried it going slow.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This has gone fast in a pointless direction.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
This has gone fast in a pointless direction.
Humans are good at that....
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
It's simply beyond me (well not really having hung around too many forums for too many years I guess) how or why it's so difficult for some people to stay on the same page.

We're not talking about some baby poop goo or mud in some other part of the country.
We're talking about this one particular persons problem and trying to help HIM and he lives and wheels here in Arizona not anywhere else in the world.

Perhaps some of y'all didn't catch parts of his original post, to wit:

Note the "lurching back and forth violently" part ??
One of the most surefire way that I know of to break crap out here is to "hammer it out" when the vehicle is lurching and bucking all over (that using means boucing, which is almost certain death to hammer it then).

Also:

Smart poster and he's got enough sense to know his possible limits.

So, instead of wandering off all over the world and different conditions from what he's running, maybe we can stay centered on the page and help, to which my suggestions (even offering to let him run with us to help see what's going on first hand and provide tips and pointers) and advice stand.
"Hammer it out" on the trails out here where we run, in Arizona, will break crap pretty quickly.
Doesn't matter for this thread what works in other parts of the WORLD now does it ?
This thread is about answering and trying to solve a problem or problems offered up by the original poster and, as it sounds like many don't know the conditions out here, that invalid advice is being offered and advice that's most likely to break him faster than help him.

Fred

If you always stay on topic, your new to message boards, You'll catch on
Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 AM

Well a lot of what is being discussed is getting lost in translation. Hammering it is how you keep from getting into the "lurching back & forth" in the first place in some situations. If you pull into an obstacle too slowly you'll lose momentum; pulling into it slowly then hammering it after your lurching is definitely a bad idea lol

I stand by the "take some video" advice; but the "come wheel with us so we can see first hand" advice is even better.

Everyone just chill & understand the limitations of typing out a conversation or you'll end up feeling like this --->
Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Well guys, this is extremely delayed, lol, I don't know if anyone is still subscribed to this thread, I was really busy with school and finals after I posted this, then I was working full time, then busy with school starting again, next thing I know 6 months has gone by, hahaha. Anyways, after giving my truck a much needed tune up and fixing the air conditioning my truck is much more pleasant to drive (I live in Arizona) and I want to start off roading again. Anyways, I found a video that looks like is very similar to what I'm experiencing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tO8D9Jt-cAk

there is the link. Now I realize this is a completely different vehicle and set up in a different environment but the general problem looks like mine. All 4 tires are spinning, all seem to be on the ground, not getting any traction, and it starts lurching and bouncing up and down when it seems like it should be able to contine climbing. I messaged the person who posted the video and he said that the problem was tires on that samurai had sidewalls that were too thick, meaning that when it was aired down it still didn't have that big of a footprint and didn't "fold" over the rocks like an aired down tire should. Now when I first started wheeling I sometimes didn't air down my tires, but I've still had this problem even with my tires aired down. My truck has had 32x11.50 R15LT Dunlop RV radial Rovers on it since I bought it used. Do you think my tires could be the culprit?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Well, that looks like to me the results of having both axles trying to climb obstacles at the same time. Certainly lower air pressure helps by allowing the tires to work more as "tank treads", but the real solution is what is shown in the video - take a different line. Sometimes, just turning the wheels back and forth left to right is enough of a difference for the wheel to clear and you to go right over the obstacles.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by tc
There's already a thread on it ...

IMHO, a front locker makes a bigger difference than rear on an IFS truck because you're much more likely to lift a front tire. Also, a front locker will help prevent as much or more damage that the e-thugs will say it causes by minimizing wheel spin.
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...741bc64bd0b12a
on an ifs truck your more likely to lift a rear tire
Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM

poop I had that happen to me in my truck its like its on speed and a rabbit mixed with dope. My problem was that my engine couldn't make the power to run the wheels
Old 10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alexe
on an ifs truck your more likely to lift a rear tire
sorry? The rear, stock, on IFS trucks has 6+ more inches of travel than the front. you will lift a front more often than a rear.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry? The rear, stock, on IFS trucks has 6+ more inches of travel than the front. you will lift a front more often than a rear.
Very rarely do I lift a front. The rear is always in the air. It may be because a good majority of the weight is in the front.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Not on a 2nd Gen 4Runner, for sure.

Fred

Quick Reply: Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.