Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hence the video would help. We can see if it's a problem with the vehicle or your driving style or if you just need tires or if it's just the open diff throwing you a curve.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floor it, rev limiter does the rest
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM

This would be a perfect post for pirate4x4 forums.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 91TPU
i get stuck in the mud a lot, but my truck with open diffs and me behind the wheel can go quite a few places...just get used to your rig more
Yea, I know your stuck..your were the first one last time..

Anyways, more expierance and be more gutsy. See my avatar picture, I did that on my 2nd attempt, first attempt I rolled back and stalled b/c I didnt give it enough pedal..
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM

Yeah maybe I don't give it enough gas. I sometimes just feel like if I go really fast I am going to loose control or break something.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You might.

Its all a matter of knowing when to let off. But yeah, you gotta slam sometimes to get up stuff. These trucks will take a beating though.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Also make sure your ADD is working correctly, If there are airleaks and the idle goes low it can open the fron diff, If thats working fine then, Lockers.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Honestly I think your problem is 4lo. It doesnt take much throttle in 4lo to break the tires. Once they are broken your not gettin that traction back with open diffs. Go to the same stuff and instead of trying to crawl up it with 4lo just leave it in high and go at it with a little speed. I know I dont put it in 4lo that much unless I need to clean tread with my 3.0 piece of junk.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
Yeah maybe I don't give it enough gas. I sometimes just feel like if I go really fast I am going to loose control or break something.
Smart person.
Too many people here haven't figured out (yet) that there is a direct connection between the stupid pedal (throttle) and their wallet.

Sounds like you're using too much and breaking the tires loose.
Where do you live in AZ ?
I'm in Tucson. If you're close by maybe we could let you come along next time we run something with some steep, loose climbs and show you how it's done.
"Getting a run at it" is not the way. Slow, easy, picking and changing the line, and NOT breaking the tires loose.
We ran a trail last weekend with two pretty steep climbs (long) that not only had a lot of loose stuff but also exposed rock.
My 4Runner is basically stock (4.88's, 31's, etc) and I'm not locked and had no problems at all. Never broke a tire loose, never spun, etc.
Having said that, I have, literally, years of experience running the rocky trails, some of the toughest around, out here in the great SW.
It's all in the driving technique, learning how to keep both tires (per axle) on the ground, picking the lines that allow that, how to turn the steering wheel from side to side to pick up traction, etc., and, one of the most important things, throttle control.
Once you start spinning, you're toast.

Fred
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by techno
Sounds to me like you need MORE RIGHT FOOT!!!! Definately so in mud and other slippery conditions. At Paragon a few weeks ago we watched this group of about 15 vehicles go past us (90% jeeps), everything from stock to highly modified. ALL but one wrangler got up this one slope on their first try. This guy seriously had 10 attempts but kept loosing traction near the top. He was a complete ˟˟˟˟˟ and never got up any momentum at all. Finally with 30+ people yelling at him to floor it, he finally hit the slope with the speed he sorely needed.
Sometimes you just need more speed....

with that said i have never had to put my yota in 4wd to make it through even the deepest mud, with enough right foot you could take on anythingg
Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 PM

WHEN IN DOUBT, PUNCH IT OUT. Words to live by......if you don't have a locker at least. Its amazing how far that and decent tires can get you.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4_Ferg
WHEN IN DOUBT, PUNCH IT OUT. Words to live by......if you don't have a locker at least. Its amazing how far that and decent tires can get you.
Best advice I've read so far and cheapest. If you can't do it at slow speed, back up then hammer down and make sure the seatbelt is tight.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Redneck Scout
....cheapest ...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Hammer down is stupid.
That's how ☺☺☺☺ breaks and truck get banged up.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yota Tony
Hammer down is stupid.
That's how ☺☺☺☺ breaks and truck get banged up.
Yup, that's a fact.
That's why I (and some of my best friends) are no longer members in the local 4x4 club.
It's also why we're really picky with who we wheel with, preferring small groups of people we know.
Things break (ligit) enough on their own without silly crap like that (hammer down).
Besides, some of the trails have obstacles that the line up is (literally) only several inches wide. Get off the line and you don't make it.
"Hammer down" never makes it.

"Hammer down" isn't cheap at all. It's one of the most expensive ways to go and , in general, is only used by those that haven't figured out that there is a direct connection between the "stupid pedal" (throttle) and the wallet.

Fred
Old 04-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Yup, that's a fact.
That's why I (and some of my best friends) are no longer members in the local 4x4 club.
It's also why we're really picky with who we wheel with, preferring small groups of people we know.
Things break (ligit) enough on their own without silly crap like that (hammer down).
Besides, some of the trails have obstacles that the line up is (literally) only several inches wide. Get off the line and you don't make it.

"Hammer down" isn't cheap at all. It's one of the most expensive ways to go and , in general, is only used by those that haven't figured out that there is a direct connection between the "stupid pedal" (throttle) and the wallet.

Fred
Fred, good to see someone shares the same opinions and views as myself.

I have a close knit lil group of people I wheel with.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
Well, at least in the unlimited traction situations of the Southwest. Try crawling mud some time...

The fact of the matter is that SOMETIMES (and especially with open diffs) keeping momentum is critical. It is important to understand the risks involved with that, and it's no substitute for being on the proper line, but you do yourself a great disservice by keeping the "momentum" tool out of the toolbox.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Redneck Scout
Best advice I've read so far and cheapest. If you can't do it at slow speed, back up then hammer down and make sure the seatbelt is tight.
I'd say the polar opposite. Momentum is no replacement for a properly designed suspension. If you have a limitless wallet, it might be good advice.

As others have mentioned a locker will simply amaze you. A stock toyota is a stout little beast, but it's not very flexy, even with no sway bars. It's also long (IE - not a jeep) and essentially it's 2wd w/o lockers.

Get it setup right, add a locker, set it up for some articulation, gear it down and go slow.
I can drive a Geo over a rock if I get up enough speed..

Last edited by dcg9381; 04-24-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Well, at least in the unlimited traction situations of the Southwest. Try crawling mud some time...

The fact of the matter is that SOMETIMES (and especially with open diffs) keeping momentum is critical. It is important to understand the risks involved with that, and it's no substitute for being on the proper line, but you do yourself a great disservice by keeping the "momentum" tool out of the toolbox.
We're talking about the "problem" that the original poster has.
Note the he's in Tempe AZ.
Nothing around here in S. AZ warrants "hammering it"...

Fred
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 AM

some times you just gotta "give um" don't wanna lose speed then you'll get stuck.

pulling you're parking brake helps to gain traction. you could also use your foot brake to apply pressure to stop tires from spinning. though if you have a 5spd "heel to toe" shifting is required.... and that definitely too me a while to learn.

tires.

lockers definitely...

i think your problem might just be solved with some more foot on the gas.

Quick Reply: Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.