Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.

Hey guys, I have a 91 4runner V6 4x4, mostly stock except 32 inch tires, crappy rancho shocks, no front sway bar, and low pro bump stops. For some reason I find myself getting stuck climbing hills that are not very technical or difficult at all, in fact I see similar vehicles make it up no problem. It's very frustrating, because I don't think im lifting a tire in many cases. I lower my tire pressure, put it in 4 low, keep it in first, and go up nice and steady. I've fixed some problems since buying my truck like loosening up the over cranked t-bars, fixing the split throttle rubber stopper, etc. But I still find myself getting stuck on very easy terrain. My truck will start lurching back and forth violently and usally one tire front and rear will start spinning in the dirt even though I don't gun it. It's like im not getting traction but I've had the problem even when my all terrains were new. I know this is probobly hard to diagnose online but I'd love to hear some input.
Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To fix this problem, purchase a locker.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

without lockers..youre 1wd up front..and 1wd out back. moral of the story...get front and rear lockers
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM

hahaha, I know it sounds like that but honestly, I get stuck on some really easy obsticales somtimes. I'll get out and check next time to make sure, but I really don't think I'm lifting a tire in many cases.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
without lockers in low traction situations..youre 1wd up front..and 1wd out back. moral of the story...get front and rear lockers
fixed that for ya.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
without lockers..youre 1wd up front..and 1wd out back. moral of the story...get front and rear lockers
I've heard that before, how exactly does that work? Wouldn't you only be one wheel drive when a tire is lifted?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
hahaha, I know it sounds like that but honestly, I get stuck on some really easy obsticales somtimes. I'll get out and check next time to make sure, but I really don't think I'm lifting a tire in many cases.
has nothing to do with lifting a tire. With open diffs, as soon as one tire looses traction, all the power goes to that tire. Doesn't matter if you are lifting or just on loose gravel, you still get the 1wd effect that doubledown was talking about.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of tires?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard that before, how exactly does that work? Wouldn't you only be one wheel drive when a tire is lifted?
it is a consequence of how a differential works. In order for your vehicle to make turns, the outter wheel must spin faster than the inner. To do this, there are gears in your differential which allow each axle to spin at different speeds. This effectively means that the axles are "separate", meaning that they can spin independantly of the other. (jack up the truck, hold one rear tire still and you'll find that the other tire can spin freely if the trans is in nuetral.)

The other thing is that the "power" coming from your drive shaft, similar to electrical current, will take the path of least resistance. So, if your tires are on the pavement, both tires get equal power. But, if one tire has less resistance, say if it is in some sand, or loose gravel, that tire will get all the power, while the other tire, the one with traction, gets none.

As said, a locker will remedy this.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for each diff (front and back) the power follows the path with the least friction.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Post some pictures (or better yet video) of the problem. It could be that you just need lockers but it could be something more as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, I have a 91 4runner V6 4x4, mostly stock except 32 inch tires, crappy rancho shocks, no front sway bar, and low pro bump stops. For some reason I find myself getting stuck climbing hills that are not very technical or difficult at all, in fact I see similar vehicles make it up no problem. It's very frustrating, because I don't think im lifting a tire in many cases. I lower my tire pressure, put it in 4 low, keep it in first, and go up nice and steady. I've fixed some problems since buying my truck like loosening up the over cranked t-bars, fixing the split throttle rubber stopper, etc. But I still find myself getting stuck on very easy terrain. My truck will start lurching back and forth violently and usally one tire front and rear will start spinning in the dirt even though I don't gun it. It's like im not getting traction but I've had the problem even when my all terrains were new. I know this is probobly hard to diagnose online but I'd love to hear some input.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Post some pictures (or better yet video) of the problem. It could be that you just need lockers but it could be something more as well.
Well, a video might help, but from his first post, the problem is classic Open/open syndrome. He hasn't said anything about it having a change in power which could be engine related, or a lack of gearing. Sounds like he just can't get traction.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM

What tires?
A good set of tires will get you more places then a crappy set with or without lockers.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Maybe you just suck at driving.

Aaron
Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, a video might help, but from his first post, the problem is classic Open/open syndrome. He hasn't said anything about it having a change in power which could be engine related, or a lack of gearing. Sounds like he just can't get traction.
I agree but you never know...or it could be the "you just suck at driving"

That's why I said post up the evidence, then we can say for sure what it is. If I were a betting man I'd say $50 on the open diff & just needing a locker.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
x3 (or 4) on the locker(s).

Keep in mind that "similar looking vehicles" may be locked without you knowing it.

It is amazing how un-4WD like a stock open diff vehicle can be. I'd wager a 2WD locked could do a better job in low traction situations such as loose dirt, mud or sand then a stock open 4WD, assuming tires where equal.

It's also amazing how many doors even just a rear locker will open up.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are you sure you are getting drive power to the front wheels?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While lockers are certainly a solution (you'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands), there are some better things to check first. Wheeling open/open can teach you a lot:

1. What conditions are we talking about here? Since you're in AZ, I doubt it's mud...

2. You say you lower the tire pressure. How low, what psi? Have you tried lower?

3. Sometimes, especially open/open, you won't be able to crawl things in 4LOW+1st. You're going to have to keep some momentum up to carry you across the low traction situations. You want to go as slow as you can, but as fast as you need to.

4. Are you sure you're not running out of ground clearance? You generally need to think about putting the tires ON the obstacles, not trying to avoid them. This keeps you up off the ground.

This would be a great post for the 4wheeling101 forum...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bet its the tires, you need good AT tires like firestones, yokohamas or some BFG.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Someone else can chime in if there is a problem with this thought:

Try applying the brakes whiles staying on the throttle when you feel you are getting stuck / losing traction. you may be able to apply enough drag to force all 4 wheels to drive. I know it works in the rain in a rear wheel drive car with an open diff.... Will it work off road? If it does work, I'd say it is another vote for a locker of some sort.

Quick Reply: Contantly getting stuck while wheeling, don't know why.