Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
It shouldnt be too much unless you have the tail end pointing down hill or somthing. Either have some rags handy.
I think I'll just drain both. Redline's MT90 is in the near future anyway, so I might as well drain it all now. I wanted to wait a few paydays before getting the MT90 though, but now would be a good time since i have everything apart.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM

For future reference, if anyone is thinking about removing the pilot bearing with grease or wet toilet paper or newspaper....DON'T. Unless you're one to give up after 2 hours of trying, don't go this route. I just spent 2 hours under the truck hammering wet TP into the bearing. Got it to pop out just a tad and then it stopped. Another hour of pounding and not even a budge. I'm about to ruin the socket extension if I pound any more. It's not worth the time and tools. In the 2 hours spent doing this, I could have driven to autozone and rented a puller...which is exactly what I'm going to do now.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
You should have used a thicker paper, such as newspaper. I have used this method many times, it takes no more than 10 mins. You must be doing something wrong, sorry man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xuR7T8G1Ys
Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Have you gotten it out?

Yea it worked fine for me, I used news paper but if I had to do it again I would use regular printer paper. I found that a dead blow hammer or a small sledge works best.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 PM

I didn't have any newspaper. Only paper towels or toilet paper.

Yeah, I finally got it out. I drove to go to Autozone and instead made a turn at McDonalds and decided to eat (I turn into a cranky Hulk when I'm hungry.) I went home and just pounded as hard as I could on the socket and extension and it popped out. Maybe the trick to everything is to be vicious and violent. I was hitting it pretty hard before and this time I had an "all or nothing" attitude. Popped right out.

Got the transmission blasted clean and I'm going to use RTV to seal the gasket on the shifter housing. I also found an oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil pan. I tightened those bolts, as they were only finger tight.

Tonight I plan on installing the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and tomorrow I plan on spending all day lining up and installing the transmission. Sunday hopefully I can finish putting everything else back in.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Nice you're getting to the fun part!!! And then another PITA part to get it back in hehe so enjoy setting up the flywheel and clutch components!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Nice you're getting to the fun part!!! And then another PITA part to get it back in hehe so enjoy setting up the flywheel and clutch components!
Yup. I look forward to tomorrow.

I got the flywheel and, pressure plate and disc installed and used loctite on all of the bolts. Torque specs for the flywheel (for anyone using the search function) were 76 to 85 lbs.

Got it all setup so that now all I need to do is slide the transmission back into place. I have all day tomorrow to do that, but hopefully it won't take that long.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM

I just realized I made a mistake. There's a metal plate that almost looks like a gasket that goes between the flywheel and the engine. I had that removed to clean it since it was completely covered in a thick layer of grease/oil/dirt. Is it absolutely necessary to install that or can I leave that off?

-edit-
Nevermind. I'm just going to take the extra 30 minutes to remove the clutch and put that plate back in. It took this long just to get it all apart, I want to make sure it's done right so nothing goes wrong and I have to do this again.

What is this plate for?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 08-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM

I have never seen one, my 86 22RE did not have one there
Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I know my 86 4Runner 22re has one because I put is back on just last week. BTW it is called a transmission separator plate.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Ohhh thought you were talking about a 'plate' that went between the flywheel and the rear main housing and held on by the flywheel.

Yes you need that separator plate
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM

I was thinking of that too until he said it was covered in grease oil and dirt.

The flywheel shim could not be as it is fully sandwiched between the crank and the flywheel.

They are used to space the flywheel out after being surfaced. You get whatever thickness they had to grind off and this moves the flywheel/clutch back into the housing.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me too. i would do it for the cost of you paying for my flight
Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
me too. i would do it for the cost of you paying for my flight
For that cost...might have been worth it.

I think I not have a broken thumb, so many cuts and scratched that I can't count, and I still haven't completed the installation. Got the bell housing up and almost connected, but I can't get it back in place. This thumb isn't helping at all.

I can't seem to get the dang thing aligned. The transmission keeps wanting to rotate clockwise on the jack, which puts the bell housing/engine bolt holes way off center.

Should I ever need to do this again, I'll definitely pull the engine. It's a lot easier lining things up standing up and using a hoist than messing around with jacks.

Anyone in northern Colorado want to make a quick $50? Come finished the bell housing installation. I'm too beat up to go on.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM

I'm in Leadville or else I'd come help you stab that thing in there. Just take a breather and try again tomorrow. You can't get a friend to come help you hold the transmission?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Hang in there man, I know how frustrating it can be doing clutch, especially by yourself. Just relax and have a few
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
I'm in Leadville or else I'd come help you stab that thing in there. Just take a breather and try again tomorrow. You can't get a friend to come help you hold the transmission?
Nope. Of all my friends, I'm the only mechanical savvy one.

Going to try again tomorrow. Thumb still hurts. Hard to even type.

The main problem I'm having is finding the balance points. That's the frustrating part. The input shaft is already clear of the pressure plate teeth and it's almost in.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 AM

hey duperman dave

do you have a tranny jack? or just a 21/2 to 3ton jack well with some 3/4" plywood and 2x4 you can make you a make shift craddle out of some scrap wood lying around the house instead of buy a expensive one from Sears...

you may find out if you turn the engine pully while yor pushing the tranny forward you maybe just hit the spot where it slides right in like it should...

the rest of the job .. you just need like a 10mm 11mm 12mm 14mm 16mm and a 19mm well those common sizes you need to work on the truck..

a few long extension and unverisal joints will make you job a lot easier..

you maybe able to drop a flex-head ratchet wrench in from the top.. "depends on how big your hands are"

if you still have problems line everything up i would put a engine lift on the engine.. and diseconnect the engine mounts so it just give you all the movement that you need.. i really dont seeing that you have to go to this extreme.. but sometimes its the little things that make all the difference...

sounds like you need to invite some friends over and start tasking them out with some chores...
Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 AM

I do have a transmission jack. It's this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html

I also have a 2 ton floor jack that I use to raise and balance other parts when needed. I think the main issue right now is the clearance, so I'm going to work with my dad in an hour and have him help by watching the body and bell housing to see how much room there is.

Would going to ace hardware and getting 6 long bolts to put in the transmission and engine help? Sort of like proxy bolts to keep everything straight, level, and aligned while I push the transmission forward?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 08-08-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM

maybe you should post a add on craigslist looking for a hired hand few a bit of there time..

or just have some come do it in your driveway...

Quick Reply: clutch replacement