Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch issues maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issues maybe?

Hey guys. I got a minor problem with my '87 4Runner that I've been trying to figure out. And keep in mind I am not very tech savy when it comes to the 4-wheeled vehicles, yet jet engines are another story.

Once in a while when I try accelerate, the engine will accelerate (or rev up) faster then the rest of the vehicle (if that makes any sense). Kinda like the clutch is slipping or something. Most of the time I really need to put the gas pedal all the way down to experience this but sometimes it does not take much gas for the problem to occur, making it hard to accelerate when needed. I don't have any problems shifting or anything, and recently I had the clutch cylinder replaced due to a leak.

I have asked around and was told it could be the flywheel, but the only people I know to ask sometimes think they are experts at everything. So I am hoping to to maybe get some answers here before I start spending some money on fixing the issue. Let me know of any thoughts or questions
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe it trying to be a jet...just your not putting the right fuel in it...
Is it throwing any cel's

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
follow these instructions to see if thats the issue first...

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
If its revving up, then catching, your clutch is starting to slip. Get it replaced ASAP, before you really do major damage.

I doubt its just the flywheel. It may be part of the equation, but not the entire problem. You might also want to check the adjustment on the clutch master cylinder. If its adjusted too far up, it will stay partially engaged all the time, allowing it to slip under loaded conditions (ie hills, hard acceleration, etc)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
If its revving up, then catching, your clutch is starting to slip.
Its not catching as far as I can tell. Though then again I don't stay down on it long enough to find out. I just let off the gas till it stops.

Originally Posted by scuba
Maybe it trying to be a jet...just your not putting the right fuel in it...
Is it throwing any cel's

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
follow these instructions to see if thats the issue first...

I will have to check that out. I don't have some of the tools for that but might find a friend who does. Skimming over the page did make me think of another thing that I didn't think about that makes sense: Sometimes I do get low rpm's when idle. Very rarely though and mostly when I start the engine. Once in a blue moon when stopped at a traffic light or something.

Last edited by Hobbsdude; 11-07-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its possible, i think, that if the rear crakshaft seal is leaking you can get oil in there causing the clutch to slip like that
Old 11-08-2008, 01:28 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbsdude
Skimming over the page did make me think of another thing that I didn't think about that makes sense: Sometimes I do get low rpm's when idle. Very rarely though and mostly when I start the engine. Once in a blue moon when stopped at a traffic light or something.
check your idle screw adjustment then if its happening AFTER WARMUP and at stoplights...

Then check the TPS...

How old is the clutch anyway...?