Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CEL codes and whats not the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CEL codes and whats not the problem.

Well after 2 moths of horrid gasmilage, No power, No CEL and have checked for all airleaks and what not, I was looking on the net and learned how O2 sensors work, Neat little thing.

I pulled the O2 sensor once to see if it looked damaged or rattled, Seems fine.

Spent most of my time looking for air leaks even the propane test, All sealed.

Reedvalve? , Plugged it and no affect so it wasnt leaking or plugged.

Airflow meter?, Open it up and checked reading (Need to get lennier ohm meter sometime), I can assum after so many miles it may have problems but nothing critical at this time, But I did try to lean and ritchen and it did change but I noticed it ran better the more I leaned it out but it pinged so badly at a cruise speeds.

TPS I just replaced months ago because it was bad, It seems the idle leads were fine but the posission part was bad and will show no CEL for that.
I have checked TPS many times since and its always good.

Fuel Pressure regulator the same time as TPS, Old one went flat but yeald low pressure to the injectors, Its a wonder theres no sensor for that.

I was running really rich so I didnt need to check the fuel filter but did anyways.

Internet says "Running rich and real bad timing is O2" So Autozone, I got the Bosch ( I know everyone says that Denso or dealer is a must But waiting for 5 more days for delivery or dealer, The dealer is out of the question since I refuse to give them money of anykind unless its a only way and $160 there is a definate no no.) Dealers blow.
Got it home and spent 10 min putting it in, Before I started the engine I pulled the CEL codes on my own and got this.
14 no input from igniter to ECM
24 open or short to intake air temp sensor
31 open or short detected in AFM
41 open or short detected in TPS

I didnt reset the ECM, I like to feel the changes it make as it corrects itself.
Started it and let it warm up, Runs fabulous now, A little rich but that will go away.

Over the years and miles I have had my Runner there has been only 2 CEL's
first was that black plastic EGR controller on the front of the engine, CEL pick that out right away and I replaced it.
Second belive it or not CEL said Sparkplugs were bad, Pulled them and there was hardly a electrode left on any of them, But I never had any problems.

So WTF, Why do I get code like the above when its not the problem, Why am I not getting CEL's for things that are hooked to the ECM that make the engine run really crappy when they go bad, And why do I get CEL's for thing that dont matter and dont even have a sensor on them.

FYI, If you have a second O2 sensor, Its a detection system to let you know your CAT is bad, You can easly fool this if you run w/o the CAT or just dont use the second sensor.

Last but not least, I feel for you people in auto transmission when the O2 sensor goes bad, If not for the clutch to let it rev up for me to go from a stop I swear I would have put a few rounds into the engine or firebomb it.

Last edited by ^VooDoo^; 11-05-2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Self conserned
Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you run without the cat, both O2 sensors will "see" the same Air/Fuel ratio. This will set a "catalyst efficency below threshold" code. If the "downstream" O2 is not used, it will also set a code.

With the codes you listed, I would look for a bad/loose ground. Look at a wiring diagram to see if those components share a ground.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:31 PM

Have you unplugged any of those sensors while the truck was switched on? Or have you disconnected any grounds while it was switched on? This happens all the time at work and it is usually one of the two. If you didn't clear the codes they won't go away. Alot of the time if you drive a car with transmission codes in the computer, it will still drive crappy until I clear them even though the problem has been corrected.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

Oh I have unplugged them and they CEL, Problem is they dont CEL when there bad.

Problems that dont call a CEL shouldnt affect the drivability after, Only ones that do and are not cleared.

All is good now that I found the problem, Runs great.