Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can't find the o2 sensor plug!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toyotabc
Haha well atleast no check engine light!

Take a volt meter to the tps and see if the volts climb/drop smoothly with the throttle

Now did you replace the vacuum line going to your brake booster? If its got a vacuum leak that would cause some issues with rpms when braking. Also does the truck rpms go up and down when pressing the brake?

Now what's your timing at without the diagnostic box jumpered? Should be 12ish degrees. If it's still at 5 degrees you could have an ignition problem.

Timing does 12* when not jumped, 5* when jumped.

No vacuum leaks, booster line is good. Only does it when coming down to a stop or at a stop. Even if the brakes aren't applied still does it, only after moving recently though. Weird..

Yea no check engine light is a plus! Now I got to figure out if I can legally smog this thing or get it Transfered over! Anyone got any 87 22re crashed trucks? Or how about some diesel tags? Lol

I will check the tps tomorrow for the 3rd time... lol sounds like a tps issue, hoping atleast...

Man I'm almost tempted to go back to a damn carburetor!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomczaksdiesel
Timing does 12* when not jumped, 5* when jumped.

No vacuum leaks, booster line is good. Only does it when coming down to a stop or at a stop. Even if the brakes aren't applied still does it, only after moving recently though. Weird..

Yea no check engine light is a plus! Now I got to figure out if I can legally smog this thing or get it Transfered over! Anyone got any 87 22re crashed trucks? Or how about some diesel tags? Lol

I will check the tps tomorrow for the 3rd time... lol sounds like a tps issue, hoping atleast...

Man I'm almost tempted to go back to a damn carburetor!
I know the feeling, my carb ran great before I pulled it lol!

I don't know what else to suggest besides checking resistance, or the condition of items like distributor rotor, ignition coil, basically anything easy to check to exhaust all those options
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Toyotabc
I know the feeling, my carb ran great before I pulled it lol!

I don't know what else to suggest besides checking resistance, or the condition of items like distributor rotor, ignition coil, basically anything easy to check to exhaust all those options
Funny thing is im not to worried about finding the running rough problem. I'm worried about doing this swap and not passing smog haha... BUT aftwr some research it seems that I can swap any efi set up on my toyota as long as it's NEWER than the truck. Which it being an 87, using 88 parts, I meet that requirement! I will call the referee tomorrow and make sure...

I wonder if the afm/tps are a little weak, causing the miss, lack of power, and rpm changes...

Will report back tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 PM

Well got some updates. I was having a problem with the miss and a popping sound when giving light throttle.

Replaced distributor, that helped the miss when revved up. New injectors, intake gasket, adjusted afm, 4wire o2, double checked tps, and new fuel rail damper that was leaking..

Still having an issue with it "popping" at light throttle, and on decel. I don't believe it's a lean problem because when I spray fuel into the vacuum line is still does it. Same when I pinch the return fuel return line. I added bigger injectors and it does it now when I floor it after a shift, kind of bogs for a second. So I will try leaning out the afm tomorrow and see what happens... I ohm the 4wire o2 and got .05-.06 at idle... seem right?

Only thing I can think of is fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or ecu? I don't think it's ignition as its all pretty much new... no engine codes either.

Help! Lol

Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:45 PM

So did a little more troubleshooting...
Swapped coil/igniter and afm with a buddys. No change. Tested o2, checked out good.

I installed firepowers injectors to the truck, with new intake gasket. Truck seems to have more power, but no change to my problem. Replaced the leaky fuel pressure damper, no change either

So my problem is, that when I Rev the engine at around 2k rpm, very light throttle, I get popping out of the exhaust, like a missfire... pulled plugs and they were a light brown, replaced with new ngk and wires, no change... I have replaced or checked everything in the ignition, as well as fuel side. Other than the pressure, which is what I'll do tomorrow...

If my fuel pressure checks out, then I assume ecu???

I'm going to add more engine grounds, check fp, and maybe for the heck of it add a new o2??

Any help would be great!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:03 PM

Well I'm stuck now! New injectors, new cat, tested fuel pressure (42psi, 65psi with return line pinched), so plenty of fuel... different ecu, different coil, different afm... seems to have gotten a little better but not gone and have to smog soooon! Misfire/ popping out of exhaust at light load, either in nuetral, or when coasting at low speed with light throttle... I guess I can check the resistance of the injector control and ohm the connectors? Sounds like ignition to me. New plugs and wires too, plugs were brown. So not lean or rich.. any help is great