Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can Someone help me with Part Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Someone help me with Part Numbers? 3.0 PS Hoses

I have searched the forums every way I can think of and haven't found any references to part numbers for these two power steering hoses. The parts lists and numbers on every Toyota website I have tried do not have illustrations or descriptions that would insure me that I was ordering the correct part numbers. Thought I would ask the experts here before I order so hopefully I can order the correct hoses.

Both are rubber hoses that are on the power steering low pressure return line on a 1992 Toyota 4Runner, 4 Door, SR5, AT, 4WD 3.0 3VZE. The first hose (left picture below) is on the passenger side and goes from the pump to the hard line that runs under the fan/radiator over to the steering box on the drivers side. The second hose (right picture below) is the one that runs from the steering box to the end of the hard line on the drivers side just below the coolant recovery tank. I was planning on using some unformed Gates Transmission cooler hose but I fear that the the radical U shape turn that the Gates hose could collapse due to the radical U shape. If the OEM hoses are no longer available I guess I can use longer a longer length of the transmission cooler hose and try and reroute it without the U shaped turns and not use the hard lines. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited by doublel; 07-27-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: modified title
Old 07-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by doublel
... The parts lists and numbers on every Toyota website I have tried do not have illustrations or descriptions that would insure me that I was ordering the correct part numbers. ....
If you tell us (at least generally) the websites you've tried, it might help us avoid wasting your time.

Here's the site for a dealer in Florida: https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...rimLevel=18380 It shows two flexible hoses on the low-pressure side. You'll note that the call-outs point to 2 (or 3) part numbers depending on exactly what model/engine you have. Which means that the drawing may not show the exact shape of the hose you need to order; don't get put off by that.

If you want to be (reasonably) sure, print out one of these drawings, WRITE YOUR VIN on the print, and take it to a dealer (heck, schlep along your old hoses too). The woman at the Parts Counter does this for a living, and she'll be able to figure out from your VIN which part number is called for. Don't expect a brick-and-mortar store to match an online price, but if you're business-like about this you'll probably be able to get the part number and make a decision about who to buy from. (Don't forget the shipping cost from Florida.)

Old 07-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Scope. I have tried too many toyota parts websites to count, among them the Lakeland Toyota (Toyota Parts Overstock) that you referenced. Also Olathe Toyota Parts, OEMGenunieParts.com and a host of others. As you know many use the same software/parts listings so on those sites when you have seen one you have seen them all. One thing I am puzzled by is that the Lakeland site gives me an error message when I enter my Vin # and says that it is not found when all others that I tried recognize it. Also if I am understanding this correctly the VZN number on the label on my drivers side door pilar is VZN130L and Lakeland only references VZN120 in some of the descriptions to determine which part fits a particular vehicle. I am not knowledgeable enough to know what the other numbers mean in addition to the VZN on the multiple part numbers that are listed. All this being said I feel reasonably sure that Part # 44412-35091 which is listed as "Gear to Pipe" is the hose I need for the drivers side. I found that reference of "Gear to Pipe" on several sites. The Lakeland site doesn't recognize that number but I think part #44412-35090 which they do have is the previous part number that has now been superceded by 44412-35091.

I am at a loss for the shorter hose that is the pump to pipe hose on the passenger side. No parts listing shows that part that I can find and the closest thing that I possibly thought could be it is part #44416-35020 but that is described as "Tube Return" and that leads me to believe that it is not a hose.

I will take your advice and print out one of the these parts drawings and take to my local dealers parts counter and put up with their attitude (and trust me, they have one!) Any other ideas or assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated as I need to get this Runner back on the road. If you think it could help I would be happy to p.m. or email you a picture of the label from my door pilar. Thanks again for the reply!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:27 PM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Beats me. You're beyond my knowledge level already.

Dealers are different (and the guys/gals behind the counter are different), but I've had good luck at my local dealer. Just remember that they're looking at the same pictures you have been. At some point, they won't be able to guarantee you that the part (designed more than 30 years ago) is exactly like the one you have. Smile, be friendly, ask them what you can do if the part turns out to not match the one in your hand. That "attitude" you're describing is caused by talking to one customer after another who (believe it or not) don't even know the year of their vehicle, but want "the" part anyway. You want them to think you're not wasting their time (writing your VIN on the drawing is part of that).
Old 07-28-2020, 06:50 PM

Appreciate the advice. That is the way I have always handled things with them when I have gone in there.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:22 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
Does this image help? From Amayama.com
if you see your hoses just visit the site and select the model# that matches yours to get the correct part number

Last edited by Jimkola; 07-31-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
P/S Hoses

Originally Posted by doublel
I have searched the forums every way I can think of and haven't found any references to part numbers for these two power steering hoses. The parts lists and numbers on every Toyota website I have tried do not have illustrations or descriptions that would insure me that I was ordering the correct part numbers. Thought I would ask the experts here before I order so hopefully I can order the correct hoses.

Both are rubber hoses that are on the power steering low pressure return line on a 1992 Toyota 4Runner, 4 Door, SR5, AT, 4WD 3.0 3VZE. The first hose (left picture below) is on the passenger side and goes from the pump to the hard line that runs under the fan/radiator over to the steering box on the drivers side. The second hose (right picture below) is the one that runs from the steering box to the end of the hard line on the drivers side just below the coolant recovery tank. I was planning on using some unformed Gates Transmission cooler hose but I fear that the the radical U shape turn that the Gates hose could collapse due to the radical U shape. If the OEM hoses are no longer available I guess I can use longer a longer length of the transmission cooler hose and try and reroute it without the U shaped turns and not use the hard lines. Thanks for any help you can offer!

I don't have the P/N's for the hoses, but I have the hoses from my parts donor 95 4Runner 3VZ.
The hoses are firm, and not swollen, and the ends are not ragged.
They look identical to the ones in your picture.
If you are interested, I'll send a photo when I get home later this afternoon.
Art
Old 07-31-2020, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I made a visit to the local Toyota dealer and found out that the short hose had to be bought with the hard line...and that the part was discontinued!
I ended up using some Gates transmission cooler line and was able to make the bends without them collapsing so I am back in business. I appreciate all of you guys that tried to help!