Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can a bad key switch throw a code 6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagool22
Here’s what it does. ...And when it acts up like this it’s followed by a hard start. But maybe that’s just from holding the key in start position causing fuel to pump and flooding it out a bit?

Faint clicks at 10, 11, and 25 second marks sounds like the Circuit Opening Relay or starter solenoid barely moving because there's too much power loss in wiring and ign sw contact to actuate the starter solenoid.
Stronger clicks at 18, 23, 27, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35 seconds sound like starter solenoid, but because there is not enough power to make it travel fully AND the contacts are worn out, the starter motor does not turn.

Re: Flooding is possible

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-25-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
https://youtu.be/84M4bM_y8L8
Faint clicks at 10, 11, and 25 second marks sounds like the Circuit Opening Relay or starter solenoid barely moving because there's too much power loss in wiring and ign sw contact to actuate the starter solenoid.
Stronger clicks at 18, 23, 27, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35 seconds sound like starter solenoid, but because there is not enough power to make it travel fully AND the contacts are worn out, the starter motor does not turn.

Re: Flooding is possible
Interesting. Did not notice the faint clicks when nothing happens. So do you think this is from the worn contacts? Or are you saying there could be a different issue?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 AM

IF you get Code 6 when you're having the cranking issue, I hope it's just because ECU is confused. It expects combustion but not getting it, and cranking loads the battery so much it causes too much ripple / voltage to ECU fluctuates.
Here are the codes on 4Crawler's site: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/
LC Engineering: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl..._TECHNOTE.html
I don’t know when the code 6 started. No CEL. Just ran code check because of the starting issue. And haven’t ran codes for a few months. Hopefully ecu is just confused like you said. Once I get the no crank sorted out I will clear codes and go from there.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shagool22
Interesting. Did not notice the faint clicks when nothing happens. So do you think this is from the worn contacts? Or are you saying there could be a different issue?
Yes, 2 issues.
  1. this wiring issue, which had been proven beyond reasonable doubt. It is a common and often an intermittent problem people hd lived with for as long as these trucks hd been around, but can be fixed for $20-$30.
  2. Worn solenoid contacts.
Faint click is only the C.O.R. behind glove compartment clicking, and/or starter solenoid barely moving because of (1).
Strong click is solenoid clicking but plunger not going all the way because of (1).
No crank because contacts not fully closing because of (1) and (2).
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Yes, 2 issues.
  1. this wiring issue, which had been proven beyond reasonable doubt. It is a common and often an intermittent problem people hd lived with for as long as these trucks hd been around, but can be fixed for $20-$30.
  2. Worn solenoid contacts.
Faint click is only the C.O.R. behind glove compartment clicking, and/or starter solenoid barely moving because of (1).
Strong click is solenoid clicking but plunger not going all the way because of (1).
No crank because contacts not fully closing because of (1) and (2).
Okay I got the contacts in hand bout to change them!! And you’ll never believe me but, the stealership gave them to me for free LOL. Their parts counter was about to close and their cashier had already went home. I didn’t have cash on me so they handed them to me and said have a good day. That’s already they owe me anyways lol
Old 01-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Nice! Now thats a good dealership.
Pls note down your starter part number / labels, and that of the contacts for our future reference.
​​​​​
Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM

After replacing solenoid contacts my 4Runner is firing first time every time. And today I could barely get it to start at all before contacts were replaced

Yes they are a great dealership! My parts guy is very knowledgeable, helpful, and willing to track down parts or do research for me. And luckily their only a 5 minute drive from my shop.

I did not get a part number due to not getting a receipt and the contacts are sold separately and not labeled in any way. But I do have a link that shows different styles of contacts along with part numbers. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnlineOrdering

There are a few different styles I do not know if that’s year or motor dependent. Mine was style A. It’s best to bring in your old contacts for comparison as my parts guy told me in early Toyota’s the contacts are not listed in their system as a replaceable part. So they can not search for the part for your early toyota.

I will post pics and info on my starter tomorrow

Last edited by Shagool22; 01-25-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 PM

And I do still plan on adding a starter relay as you mentioned. Hopefully this weekend.

Also cleared codes and going to drive it rountrip 60 miles to work and back tomorrow, hopefully code 6 doesn’t come back!