Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cams out of a 92 Camry 3vz

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams out of a 92 Camry 3vz

I bought a 3vz engine out of a 92 Camry for $50 because I thought the block would work in in my 94 4Runner. Well, I found out it wont. So now my attention has drawn toward a 5vzfe 3.4 swap. I think I have heard that the cams from the 3vz camry engine would boost prefromance in the 3.4. Is it true and would it be worth the trouble? How will would that mate up to the TRD Supercharger?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 PM

As far as I've seen the 3vze and 3vz-fe blocks are the same, except for the pistons, and where the oil filter goes. I would think enough parts could be swapped to make it work. There have been a few threads on here about people trying to swap the whole engine in. The only issues are the intake facing the firewall and the distributor. I think someday soon somebody is going to figure it out and actually do it.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:40 PM

The issue I had with the engine is that the solid motor mounts that bolt up to the block would not bolt up at all. Also the the head gaskets from the 3vz-fe have an odd ball water jacket that would not let the 3vze head bolt up to the 3vz-fe block. Another thing the pistons had 4 valve eye brows cut into the piston which made me think that it would lower the compression. By the way would anyone want a block from a 3vz-fe block? $50 and its yours.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 AM

its because the 3vz-fe is designed for a car and to be mounted transverse not longwise (i cant spell so i didnt try) the 3vz-e and -fe series are 2 very different engines...even tho we would like to say they are the same....

Altho i will buy the engine off you if you have no need for it
Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM

I didn't think the motor mounts would be much of a problem. I thought the block had both sets of holes already in it to accommodate the mount bracket, or at the very least had bosses cast into it that could be drilled out and tapped. One could always fab up an adapter plate. As far as the heads fitting, I think that's already been done, so someone must know how to do it. The bolt pattern is the same (or so I've read here). The pistons/rods could be swapped over from the 3vze block so the valve reliefs line up, so that isn't a problem. Theoretically it should work, but for some reason no one's been able to put it all together. I'd love to work on something like this if I had the resources (I love a mechanical challenge). Sorry I couldn't help you more, but good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Radyota
I didn't think the motor mounts would be much of a problem. I thought the block had both sets of holes already in it to accommodate the mount bracket, or at the very least had bosses cast into it that could be drilled out and tapped. One could always fab up an adapter plate. As far as the heads fitting, I think that's already been done, so someone must know how to do it. The bolt pattern is the same (or so I've read here). The pistons/rods could be swapped over from the 3vze block so the valve reliefs line up, so that isn't a problem. Theoretically it should work, but for some reason no one's been able to put it all together. I'd love to work on something like this if I had the resources (I love a mechanical challenge). Sorry I couldn't help you more, but good luck with whatever you decide to do!
True to the point but again the -e -fe blocks were a bit different themselves...i know its still a VZ series, but they changed some things in regards to mounting.

I wouldnt want to be swtching around the innerds form the 3vz-e into anything really...the 3vz-fe is an amazing engine i would be only keen on isntalling the entire engine vs making some sort of hybrid. The performance value still stands with using a 5vz drop in
Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 AM

Cool

The 3vz-fe block has next to nothing incommon with the either of the two 3vz-e blocks. Pretty much mount locations, similarities, and the fact that it ahs a 3VZ case into the front side (That would be the back of the left hand corner for you longitudnial guys).

Everything chopps said, I spelled out a long time ago.
The 3vz-fe electronics will not work with 3vz-e stuff.
The 3vz-fe headgaskets are different there-hence-forth the heads are different.
The intake manifolds, and heads are obviously different
3vz-fe heads CAN NOT be flipped around. They are directional. (It would take hella machining)
The 3vz-fe has 4 valve reliefs on the pistons which may, or may not cause problems.
The 3vz-fe has larger rods, better connecting hardware, and different (Most likely better) pistons.
The 3vz-fe has a forged steel crankshaft with the third largst amount of counter-balancing of any Toyota engine (not counting the new V-10). 1GR-FE V-12 has 9-12 counterweights, the 2jz's have 12 counterweights. The 3vz-fe has 9 counterweights on the crankshaft. Other toyota v6's only have 5.
The 3vz-fe headgasket was a little better, but still failed. Go figure :pat:

FYI The 3vz-fe is 9.6:1 CR, the 3vz-e is a paultry 9.2:1 CR.

From the few pictures I've taken & the pictures of the left hand side of the 3vz-e block that I've seen - the mounting locations are the same. That actually caused a problem in the Transverse world, because the 3vz-fe, and 1st gen 1mz-fe had to use an oil-filter relocator/stand-off.

I still think the 3vz-fe swap is do-able, and that the FE head swap isn't 100% impossible. It will simply take someone with patinence, and doesn't mind doing work to do so. It would be a lot of fun to drive that's for sure.

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-20-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would deffinately take that thing off your hands if I was a little closer. All that Toysrme has said is true you'd need the ECU and harness from the camry to make it work. If you can find a standalone ignition system then you should be able to make it work. I'd love to see someone take this on and make it work. That is one cool engine. Might be worth trying to make it work. Externally it is basicly a 5vzfe that isn't bored as large. You should be able to fit it just like a 3.4 swap. You'll have to fab something up for the intake plenum and get rid of the distributer but its all good.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:27 PM

So why hasn't someone in the world done this yet? I hear excuses but I'm sure with enough ideas and fab skills this CAN BE done! The intake issue is pretty much solved already with a 5vz-fe upper intake, right? How about driving the distributor off of the timing belt, or that end of the cam (sprocket)? This has the potential to be a 200HP swap, and may be easier than a 7MGE swap. I'm interested in this because it's next to impossible to find a 5vz-fe around here, or even an affordable one. 7MGE's are hard to come by, too (not many Supras in the northern states). Just seems like too good of an idea to let die, ya know?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So why hasn't someone in the world done this yet? I hear excuses but I'm sure with enough ideas and fab skills this CAN BE done! The intake issue is pretty much solved already with a 5vz-fe upper intake, right? How about driving the distributor off of the timing belt, or that end of the cam (sprocket)? This has the potential to be a 200HP swap, and may be easier than a 7MGE swap. I'm interested in this because it's next to impossible to find a 5vz-fe around here, or even an affordable one. 7MGE's are hard to come by, too (not many Supras in the northern states). Just seems like too good of an idea to let die, ya know?
Easier than a 7MGE swap? If I remember correctly it has the same bellhousing as the V6's. All you got to do is move the mounts and weld, drop in the harness and fabricate other little things. The Camry V6 you have to do ALOT more and then some. I rather have an inline six than a V6 for pushing our big tires on our trucks.

James
Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Then do it.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 PM

its not easy to deo at all guys....apaerently there arnt the same bosses on the outside of the engine as there is on the 5vz to fit a truck formation not a FWD car.

it is not a drop in and bolt up swap.....the 5vz is also more commen and can be cheaper/easier to find...
Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 PM

I think the 3vzfe thing is dead, it has been done and what it takes to do it is beyond 90% of those out there who would do a swap. All you get is a 3.4 with shorter stroke and a lot of custom fab work. All the power is up top and although it would be cool it is not really for the average 4x4 guy. Might be ok for a 2wd. Do the research I did a ton and it just isnt' worth it. For what you would spend on it you could build up the 3.0 which would be much easier or you could swap in a more direct engine and have more.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:54 PM

no kidding

I wonder is our auto trannys the same as the supras?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
no kidding

I wonder is our auto trannys the same as the supras?
thats a good quesion.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:16 PM

reason why i ask that is becuase (it was actually Toysrme who mentioned it) the 5spd guys with the 5vz can rev to a higher rpm then us with autos....(not by much) and am wondering if the tranny itself is limited by rpm?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:24 PM

Wouldn't that just be a function of the shift points of the auto? I guess thats what you mean isn't it. I should just bow out now cause I now nothing about autos.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:34 PM

naa shift points are in the ecu itself...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Cool

Ya that's something about most Toyota engine's.
Case in point with the 3vz-fe's.
The stock rpm cut is 7000-7100rpm, the M/T redline is 6850rpm, the A/T redline is marked at 6500rpm. Go figure.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:57 PM

I have the block, heads, wiring harness, intake,almost everything is there except for half of the plug wires and I think the pressure regulator is gone. The kicker is that it is in pieces. The block will bolt up to a rwd bellhousing though I know for sure. For the whole pile I will let go for $150 obo.

Quick Reply: Cams out of a 92 Camry 3vz