Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake pedal to the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. I've been down this path and still going down it.
I'm a bit farther than y'all though. I have the exact same symptoms of the original poster to this Yota brake mystery.
I replaced damn near everything. Front rotors,calipers pads,flex lines. Rear drums and shoes,new e brake cable AND a new MC. Bench bled the MC (which btw...the MC was purchased at the stealership).
Bled the entire system after the MC was installed. Bled it all in proper order as well.
The rear brake assembly was just full of cursing and foul mouth accusation towards the designer of such inadequecy. But I did get it together properly and to hell w/ them "neveradjusters".
After all this....still got the exact same issue.
When I need to get up on the hooks fast and hard. I get momentary "mid pedal" pressure,then w/ a little more foot pressure,it will eventually hit rock bottom. ( I came up on a stop sign in the middle of nowhere on a country back road...grabbed the brakes hard....blew right through the intersection. Was originally doin 30 (which was the posted limit), might have slowed to 25 as I was blowing through).
So I thought about the booster,but like someone else mentioned. Their's no excessive hissing going on around it,so I never messed with it.
I do pump the pedal,or maybe it's that I just casually start braking early and might seem as a pump.
No fluid leaks...at all!
I recently found out that my my bud and backup mechanic knows Yota brakes. (he hid it from me for a long time,knowing their not easy to deal with).
So,Im thinking of gettin the back to work better and we'll see.
If anyone has anymore than what I have already done,please share. All I hear is Yota brakes are hard to figure out and they are.

Yet I'm curious. On this entire forum,is their an actual Yota stealership certified mechanic on board? Or is that another thread?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dutchboy...i have the same problem and i also replaced everything you did except for the rear drum work...same FN problem , pedal to the floor with maybe a 1" to spare with good braking...also tend to lock up if i really get on it. anyone have other advice before i hang myself and leave a note telling my wife to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by new2fixn; 07-16-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by new2fixn
dutchboy...i have the same problem and i also replaced everything you did except for the rear drum work...same FN problem , pedal to the floor with maybe a 1" to spare with good braking...also tend to lock up if i really get on it. anyone have other advice before i hang myself and leave a note telling my wife to take it to the dealer.
Dont do that...you could just give it to me
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem too, it turned out to be the little valve thingy on the ps pump... it was clogged or leaking or somethin, and for whatever reason affected my brakes. Replaced it, and problem was almost solved...after I had to go through and bleed about a gallon of brake juice thru the system. Now it's much better.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM

valve thingy on the ps? could you KINDly be more specific...i have a 95 which is basically a 94 and today i ran an additional gallon through the system, did see bubbles. wondering if i should have it vaccum bled as opposed to my motive power bleeder...ill sell it for 420o.oo team420 or a big stash.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM

one other note, as i press and pump the brake with the engine running it tends to loose RPM's as if it has something to do with the vaccum/booster combo. also checked the drums/pads, all looked good in terms of tolerances and wear.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM

ton o brake

OK, figured out my problem with brake pedal to the floor. As you can see from previous posts I tried everything to get brake power early....well come to find out I accidently ordered 2 driver side calipers (thought it was a kit 1R-1L). Read on another site about the location of the bleeder, some said top , others bottom, stopped at our local fix it shop and he said definitely top and you need another caliper...installed the new caliper, bled the system w/ motive bleeder...wham-o, tons of breaking power...check yer caliper bleeder location...ON TOP so the air can be forced out.