Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you send it back, package it like you want it, and ask them to return it packed the same way.

It's a win for you, as it will likely arrive undamaged, and a win for them because they won't have to buy packing materials and they know that you'll be satisfied with the packaging...

Last edited by tc; 04-01-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taikowaza, I'm glad Boyles is taking care of you and hope the problem gets resolved.

I just read your mods list in your sig, you've got one sick rig!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks!

hey thanks genxr! too cool of you to comment on the mods I did! made my day
I really enjoy reading about mods that people did on yotatech and slowly planning them, and it's become a little bit of an addiction, a really great one! I love my 3vze, it runs sweet and sounds great thanks to the exhaust I see that you have headers too, downey, any issues with them? Deathcougar showed me the stock 3vze manifold and I could not believe the design, I had no idea it was so bad. Headers for the 3vze are a no-brainer for hg life, it really hit home while I was looking at the pulled 3vze crossover. suddenly made sense why so many HGs go on #6, the way it wraps around.

**I drove to the Toyota dealership today to pick up some parts and the Boyle's alternator light was on the whole time...battery is dipping dangerously low. I am hoping that it will charge me up enough to limp up to see Deathcougar this Thursday night. Now it only charges when it's over 3000RPM.**
wish me luck I may drive on the highway in 3rd to keep the RPMs high enough to charge. watch for the green 4runner in the slow lane at 5000RPM

For Thursday, I've got the original alternator to swap back in, but also Deathcougar has several obscure parts that I have been seeking for a long time (center console lid, maplight assembly), in addition to a whole front-end IFS rebuild! I picked up a pitman arm, idler arm, and 4 tie rod ends...ouch expensive but mine is in bad shape so got to be done! also will be doing the fuel filter, and trying to install the Budbuild xmember skidplate which I cannot figure out how to install! I am going to start a new thread to try and see if anyone can figure it out it has stumped everyone so far so the winner may just win a prize, I have some 2nd gen parts I was planning on selling but might give one to the guy who figures this out
Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by taikowaza
trying to install the Budbuild xmember skidplate which I cannot figure out how to install! I am going to start a new thread to try and see if anyone can figure it out
What crossmember skidplate? Did he come out with a new one?

The old ones require a BudBuilt crossmember, then it just bolts up nice and easy.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
He has the budbuilt crossmember. What we could not figure out was how to attach the skidplate. It looks nothing like whats in the pictures on Buds website. Its about 2ft long, and P shaped. Maybe Taik can post some pics?

It would hit the transfer case in the rear, and still have 2" before it was flush. To top that off, no matter which way I turned it, the skid plate covered up the drain plug. So its designed never to be removed?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The skidplate is designed to protect the tcase. Yes, you would have to remove the skid to have access to the drain plug.

there is one orientation where the bolt holes and the big hole for the tranny mount line up - that's how it goes. (assuming you have the right skid for your application - there are at least 2 different types)
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

budbuilt xmember skid challenge- which way does it go!

this is for the parts that Bud calls BBV6S , the only link I found for these is here:

the crossmember is installed already, looks great and I gained a LOT of clearance. Eddie@Stan's rerouted the exhaust above the budbuilt xmember and it is just great. problem being that the skidplate absolutely does not seem to be the right part! I wrote Bud but he told me that it is the right part.

I'm putting 6 shots to give you an idea, and the question is, which way does this fit? in the hardware box there is a spacer too, does the long end of the xmember skid go on top of the sonoran truss and under the front ifs skid (sandwitched between them?)
Attached Thumbnails Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember-first.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember0.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember1.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

more pics of xmember and skid

xmember is already installed, the part propped against the tool box is the xmember skid that is supposed to install on top of the xmember somehow, but I think it may be the wrong part.
Attached Thumbnails Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember4.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember3.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-xmember2.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The big hole in the skid goes over the exposed tranny mount "bolt". The 4 small holes should line up with matching threaded holes in the crossmember. Otherwise, it looks like he's changed the design a little and extended the "nose" to protect the driveshaft - a feature I wish mine had.

If yours is like mine, there's a little square tube and longer bolts that go on the side where the tcase droops down (and the little bump in the skidplate). Put it up there with the crossmember bolts lined up around the tranny mount "bolt" and see where stuff lines up to...

I should have some pix of mine installed - hold on a sec ... sorry - just extreme closeups, nothing showing the install.

Last edited by tc; 04-02-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

thanks tc, I appreciate this explanation a great deal. This may help a lot. We will try again on Thursday, Deathcougar can do anything. his operation Nix99 is pretty slick, talk about a 4runner paradise. when he needs a part he can simply walk over to one of MANY 4runners and say 'hmmmm...wonder if this will work no wonder he knows so much. bump for Nix99 as a source for 4runner parts!!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by tc
The big hole in the skid goes over the exposed tranny mount "bolt". The 4 small holes should line up with matching threaded holes in the crossmember. Otherwise, it looks like he's changed the design a little and extended the "nose" to protect the driveshaft - a feature I wish mine had.

If yours is like mine, there's a little square tube and longer bolts that go on the side where the tcase droops down (and the little bump in the skidplate). Put it up there with the crossmember bolts lined up around the tranny mount "bolt" and see where stuff lines up to...

I should have some pix of mine installed - hold on a sec ... sorry - just extreme closeups, nothing showing the install.
TC: Can you take pics of what you have? I fiddled with it for a while and still coldn't figure it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Well, I have the dual case one now, and it's a bit different ...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Staff

curses! Cause we just can't get it figured out. but hopefully tomorrow will shed a new light on how it goes together.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

pics of the budbuilt BBV6S singlecase xmember skid

from bud this morning! deathcougar what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-bbv6sa2.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-bbv6sa1.jpg   Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)-bbv6srear.jpg  
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Yep, just how I described it. You can see the little piece of square tube in the third pic on the right side between the crossmember and the skid.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Staff

Perfect, now I can see how it all goes together. The long piece points forward, and goes up above the sway bar! I didn't even think of that. I wonder what it bolts to under there tho, as far as I know there are no holes on the bottom of the trans to bolt to?

Tc, any idea?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Mine doesn't extend that far nor bolt to anything. IMHO, this is a big improvement. It should be pretty obvious when you set it up there though.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Staff

Well we got the skid plate installed, but the front doesn't appear to bolt to anything? Where does that front bolt go to, the bottom of the transmission? Are we missing a bracket?

See the front bolt at the front of the skid plate? Only the far right bolt it bolted in, yet there are 3 holes. What the hell does that far right bolt screw into?!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
DeathCougar is obviously not human, and knows way more than any "simple yotatecher" could.
--------
I would like to formally state the truth of the above statement.
Between 7pm and before midnight last night, 2nd gen 4runner history was made.
In that amount of time, DeathCougar did the following jobs with high skill:

-replaced broken maplight assembly
-replaced center console lid
-swapped alternator (malfunctioning Boyle's out, stock in)
-changed oil
-removed IFS skidplate (PITA)
-completely removed and replaced IFS steering components. (pulled idler, pitman, all tie rod ends, and replaced them all with new parts)
-replaced idler arm gusset which did not fit properly so he fabbed a mount
-replaced fuel filter
-installed xmember skidplate for the first time ever (thanks for the advice tc!)
-installed front ifs skid
-test drive.
==================================
DeathCougar deserves the 2nd gen medal of honor. DC it was a rare display of 4runner skill, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-04-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Well we got the skid plate installed, but the front doesn't appear to bolt to anything? Where does that front bolt go to, the bottom of the transmission? Are we missing a bracket?
That's about where the rear crossmember (like Sonoran steel) should be - maybe it would bolt into that somehow?

I know Bud doesn't really say that a Sonoran crossmember is required for his front skid, but it (or something like it) REALLY is...

Quick Reply: Boyle HD Rebuilt Alternator (pics)