Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bought some 33's.... Now what????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the availability and price of the bj spacers these days, there really isn't much of a reason to do a tbar crank anymore. Back when I cranked mine there were no bj spacers. Hell, there really wasn't much of an internet then either.

Save your ride quality, do bj spacers.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, BJ spacers up front with slight t-bar crank or 1", then a 1" diff drop. Then Add a leaf or new leaf pack in the rear and longer shackles, combined with a 2" body lift (hell 1" may work) will do it.

But like I said generally 3" suspension, 2" body.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where do you find a 3" IFS suspension lift?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tortis
dang bro. i can't leave you for a second. first the paint job, now this, a smaller version of monster truck or in your case monster runner. i fors ee a lift in your future and a regear. i am surprised those tires did not melt. you did say you bought them from a guy behind the tire store right. did he have any smokin deals on car stereos. just jerking your chain. nice buy, if they don't work i'll give ya 75 bucks and you ship to 71118, that way you won;t have to worry about the police finding them in your garage. ( big grin)
LOL...no sireee.. I bought them AT the store.. I got the receipt to prove it... so send the popo over!

Originally Posted by slater442w30
I have the same size of tire on my 87 runner and its one of the worst mods I ever made, mine are toyo open country (so even smaller lugs on the sides) and they rub every thing, I have a 2 inch body lift and have cut almost all metal out of my inner fenders and trimmed the outer fenders and tubbed the inners almost 2 more inches in and they still rub and I hate them. Also mine was 4 cyl with the auto and 4.30 gears and swapping to 5.29's still wouldnt have made it a good truck. I am dropping from 33/13.50/15 to 32/12.50/15 and stuffing a 3.4 into there to power the thing. I have tried two different backspacing rims with no luck, the width is just a killer on these first gens. My 89 pickup clears 33's great with the same amount of lift with no cutting or tubbing but the fenders are shaped different. These pics show the runner with no body lift and 33's and the ones with the flares are with the fenders cut out and 2 inch body lift.
Are you serious???? Dude, your Runner looks siiick!! Really nice truck. I know I bought bigger tires than I should've, but now I'm on a mission. On a mission to raise the least I have to, but enough to clear. Isn't that the wheeler moto?

Originally Posted by jcfb
You can fit them without rubbing while driving around town. There was a guy on Pirate that fit 38" tires on stock IFS.

If you do decide to modify the suspension:
I'd suggest trimming the inner fenders as much as possible.
I'd go with a ball joint spacer in the front and an add-a-leaf in the rear.
Body lifts are kind of a waste of money, IMO, and I hate them.
I had blocks on the back of my truck for a while, horrible ride, horrible everything really.

And to the guy who says he hated doing that and it was the worst mod he ever made. I have a 4" suspension lift and I run 33x12.50 tires on a 15x8 rim with stock 4.10 gears. I don't mind pushing them around town at all. I certainly don't win races and zip around, but I can keep up with traffic!

Good find!

Oh, and so you don't mess up the body paint job. Here is how I would trim the fender:
The dotted line would go as far forward, or back, as you need to clear the tires. If the tires look like they will hit the outside of the body, which I don't think they will, then you could always trim just a bit off, but here's how I would start.
Thanks! That is what I was looking at doing. I'll try to pull the wheel off today and go to work. As long as it's a clean cut, it shouldn't look too bad.

Originally Posted by ydopen
I would do the torsion-bar crank. and a 2inch block in the rear. and if that wasn't enough ball-joint spacers in the front with a 1.5 inch rear shackle. If you wanted to spend the doe I think 4wheel parts has the 4inch ifs lift for around 550.00
Originally Posted by CJM
Yep, BJ spacers up front with slight t-bar crank or 1", then a 1" diff drop. Then Add a leaf or new leaf pack in the rear and longer shackles, combined with a 2" body lift (hell 1" may work) will do it.

But like I said generally 3" suspension, 2" body.
Ya, see, I just really don't want to do a BL/SL lift. UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. I know these are some pretty big tires though. But from what I've gathered from YT and this thread so far, my plans are cutting out a good portion of the inner fender, doing the biggest BJ spacers up front & can I do the leafs WITH the longer shackles in the rear?? That's my plan so far...so say.. $146 for some 3" BJ spacers from 4crawler, and $50 for some longer shackles.. and $45 for some add a leafs = $241 total. I might have to crank the T bars a bit, we'd have to see once it's all done.. What do you guys think?

Thanks for everyone's comments/compliments. Really appreciate it!!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Where do you find a 3" IFS suspension lift?
Ranch or tough country I think but but not sure. I know ive seen one before?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this still going to be your DD. i hope gas is cheap up there. not mpg, but gallons per mile
Old 10-14-2007, 03:31 PM

friends dont let friends lift trucks with blocks...
Old 10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
CJM

Bj spacers are 1.5", you need to raise the torsion bars a bit to gain more.

Lifts done right will never be super cheap, imho what I described is the best bet. You dont need the bodylift but it helps clear those suckers,.

Again, 1.5" ball joint spacers, a 1.5" differential drop if you see the CV's are binding up badly. rear 3" downey or similar leaf spring set and maybe a longer shackle from 4 crawler, then new shocks that are 3-4" longer than stock.

This will lift you those 3" and be able to run those, but like I said, at full stuff you may run into rubbing issues or you may run into rubbing on the A arms or such.

Then lets not forget you gotta extend the differential breathers, extend the brake lines, etc.

Do not, I repeat do not use blocks...period. Your axle will shear itself apart sooner than later..

Last edited by CJM; 10-14-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM

bump stop spacers...!!!! forget the

weld on some thick metal plate where your bump stops are... its how I fit 33s on a stock rig
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, it's still going to be my daily driver. That's why I don't want to do a lift. Cuz it will look stupid when I put the stockers on w/the 28" tires. Don't worry. I won't do blocks. The reason I say 3" BJ spacers is cuz I saw on 4crawler you can custom order over 1.5". Unless it's terribly unsafe to do so...
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n16ht5
bump stop spacers...!!!! forget the

weld on some thick metal plate where your bump stops are... its how I fit 33s on a stock rig
My friend said the same thing. You won't get any flex, but you won't be bashing your truck haha. Did you really do this???
Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Yes, it's still going to be my daily driver. That's why I don't want to do a lift. Cuz it will look stupid when I put the stockers on w/the 28" tires. Don't worry. I won't do blocks. The reason I say 3" BJ spacers is cuz I saw on 4crawler you can custom order over 1.5". Unless it's terribly unsafe to do so...
yes, terribly unsafe due to cv angles, your cv's will last 1 minute in 4wd.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Alright, well I need to rethink all this. 1.5" BJ spacers, 2" BL. Would add a leafs be necessary at this point? I'm talking for starters, I'd test it out, and if it looks like it's gona kill my truck, I'll just have to take it easy till I get the dough for something else..
Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I run 4.88 gearing on my 22re with 33" tires and it works as good as expected with a 4cyl and 33" tires
Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Honestly..ide keep them in the garage and run your 31s. 33s are a great tire for offroad IF you have your truck set up properly...wich you dont. 33s with a stock gear setup is going to kill you both on and offroad. It will do much more harm than good for you buddy. I suggest you get the proper parts to run 33s, otherwise, your really just taking a few steps back.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

What now?

Sell them for a profit
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM

I didnt know there was tire warehouses in Denver? Where was the one you went to? I am looking for wheels like the ones you got but for better prices than new.

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 10-14-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
I didnt know there was tire warehouses in Denver? Where was the one you went to? I am looking for wheels like the ones you got but for better prices than new.
When I went to get a spare tire (I didn't have one! Yikes!) I went to a local 4x4 shop called Custom Offroad. They had a slightly used 33x12.50 tire (same size as what I run) for $30 and they had a used 15x8 steel wheel off an old Toyota pickup. It had the correct backspacing, rim size, and bolt pattern, so I bought it. $10 rim, $40 total. Used stuff is where it's at. Granted, I had to paint the rim I got because it was white, I needed black.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtyXplorer
Well there is Coys.. It's off of Santa Fe & just north of Mississippi. They have a lot of off road/used stuff there. I got lucky w/these also because my friend works for GO JEEP and the guy who sold me the tires knew him. They sell to that account often.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
My friend said the same thing. You won't get any flex, but you won't be bashing your truck haha. Did you really do this???
yeah i did. dont have pice right now :-./

and yeah i did bash it.

seriously.. just do 1.5" BJ spacers, and bump stop spacers. you dont need flex if you have clearance, tires, and lockers!!!!!

i had a BroncoII that I put 33s on stock with no cutting, just bump spacers, then cut enough and bump stopped for 37s on a 3" lift.. didnt flex a ton but I welded up the diff and it outwheeled everything. then I cracked the trasnfer case and like 8 hubs. i jumped it like 4ft vertical in the air too off a snowmobile jump . man i miss that thing. just wouldnt die

Quick Reply: Bought some 33's.... Now what????