Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up body lift question

i live in the state of New Jersey i want to put a 3" body lift and 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims on my 91 4runner, the question is will i still be able to pass through a regular inspection station or will i have to go through the tilt test?
i don't know the regulations for lifting trucks.

thanks ken
Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Why do you want a 3" bodylift? Why not some ball joint spacer's and some new rear springs?? This way you get a little extra height and some better travel atleast in the rear.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I recall its 6" or higher, but for the record a body lift is not the way to go for stuffing tires under your rig.

Look into ball joint spacers and new rear springs.

Btw I am in Freehold if you wanna wheel..
Old 12-04-2006, 04:42 PM

i got brand new inch over coil springs already the truck seats pretty high but i want it higher but don't want to spend the money for suspension lift. i have 32x11.00x15 on it already too
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
CJM

Then a 3" body lift isnt needed, I would go for 1" overall. 2-3" will mean you will need to adjust every little thing to fuction as it will sit higher, the 4wd shifter most notably and the transfer case and other junk.

Also you wont be fitting those tires on it without the proper backspacing, probably need 4" backspacing or less or shaved bumpstops or the 33x12.5x15 will rub..

Balljoint spacers and a coil spacer will yield you more room to work with and not be excessive. Remember, lift only as much as you need-the whole set up wont cost you more than 250 bucks and you wont have insane body roll and wont have to move the drivetrain around.

Like I said, anything higher than 6" stock is in for thier tilt test at the inspection station.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ken914runner
i got brand new inch over coil springs already the truck seats pretty high but i want it higher
<SNIP>

Why ??

Fred
Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 PM

WHy the BODYLIFT BIAS? So what if you have to mess with the shifters, the gas filler neck, the steering, the radiator blah blah. A 3" bodylift did not give me insane body roll or any of the above aforementioned. And i wheel my truck all the time and don't regret the 3" bodylift to supplement the 3" suspension lift. A body lift is a great idea and option
Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by tacoma728
WHy the BODYLIFT BIAS? So what if you have to mess with the shifters, the gas filler neck, the steering, the radiator blah blah. A 3" bodylift did not give me insane body roll or any of the above aforementioned. And i wheel my truck all the time and don't regret the 3" bodylift to supplement the 3" suspension lift. A body lift is a great idea and option
The added stress it puts on the body is very undesirable. Due to this additional stress the body is more likely to separate from the frame during a high speed rollover. So if you ever drive on the highway you can see how this could be bad. Generally, 1-2in is acceptable while 3in is viewed as to much. If you want to fit bigger tires just trim the fenders, if you do in fact wheel your truck then appearance is probably not a top priority.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GT88Yota
if you do in fact wheel your truck then appearance is probably not a top priority.
Why do you say this? that is so ignant, alot of people like a good appearance while wheeling, it says something when you have a nice truck and wheel compared to someone with a million and one dents. who knows maybe im crazy
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
CJM

Because its a pain in the ass to move all that crap, and if you dont have the right suspension set up it will cause alot of bodyroll. Lets not forget that GT88Yota makes a good point, if you do flip you can kiss your ass goodbye-I seen it myself, the body seperated with ease.

Why do you need 6" of lift? Are you running 35" tires?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Only need an inch or two of lift to fit a 33x12.50:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 AM

im runnin 33x12.50 and all i have is a leveling kit.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 AM

I have a 3 inch BL and love it. It's inexpensive, give the lift I want for tires. I don't notice excessive body roll. Its not a race car.

I don't offroad much so the BL does just what I need it to do...FIT bigger tires without spending a lot of money.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely agree...

Keep in mind it's only about 3 or 4 people against them, not the entire forum. I'm thinking that it's lack of knowledge about the BL's that makes them so against them.

To say that they're too troublesome to put on is actually humorous. I put one on my truck in about 4 hours, and a 4" suspension lift takes what? A full day?

And to insinuate that if he wheels in his truck that he needs to take a saw to it... I just don't even start to understand that logic. I've always wheeled in mine and hit a pressure wash on the way back to the house to clean it up.

To the OP, BL's are fine if properly installed and good quality kits. A suspension lift doesn't give you any more wheel travel either, so the only drawback to a BL is that you see the frame down the side but if you put on nerf's that isn't even too bad.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Good point Overrdrive, Bodylifts are great options and i think more people should do them, it makes a world of difference. I need six inches of lift because my tires still rub. I am running 33x12.50 x 15s. Great points on your above post.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, don't assume that a poorly installed body lift is indicative of all body lifts. Any type of lift can be installed well or poorly. If you have a good kit and install it well it will work just fine. A body lift make a good addition to a suspension lift and larger tires for off-road use. The larger tires ultimately give you the ground clearance, the lift (if done right) can increase wheel travel/articulation and the body lift can make room for the larger tires to stuff into the wheel wells without rubbing:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...Kit.shtml#FAQ4

I run a 3" lift and have absolutely no issues with it, steering, shifters, gas tank, etc. all all fine. Even was in a traffic accident where the other vehicle was likely totalled, all I had was a scratch in the paint on my front bumper. Even lifted the body off the frame afterwards to inspect the lift blocks, bolts and body mount bushings and there was no signs of any damage or wear, even after being on the truck and wheeled for 6+ years.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM

3" Bodie Lift

GO FOR THE 3" BODIE LIFT.. I HAVE NO PROBS WITH MINE AND AM VERY HAPPY I WENT WITH IT & NOT THE 1" THEN HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN, NOT BEING HAPPY TO THEN PUTTING THE 3" ON. ("I ALSO FIND IT FUNNY TO SEE COMENTS OF WHY NOT PUT IT ON) .
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 PM

thanks guys for all ur help!
i went to my local inspection station for the lift rules for new jersey and they said the most is 4" over stock and they measure at the bottom of the door. stock is 22" so i can only go to 26". The way my truck sits now it is at
23 1/2" with 32"tires so i really can't go much higher because i still want to roll through inspection. so i don't know what to do! might just say hell with it and do the 3" BL
Old 12-23-2006, 04:36 AM

AH, go for it. 3" bodylift with 32s look good. I have seen this combo before.

I just love the body lift bias, : Insane Body ROll, Horrible Install Nightmare, etc. etc., Just try it, It really helps your truck.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ken914runner
thanks guys for all ur help!
i went to my local inspection station for the lift rules for new jersey and they said the most is 4" over stock and they measure at the bottom of the door. stock is 22" so i can only go to 26". The way my truck sits now it is at
23 1/2" with 32"tires so i really can't go much higher because i still want to roll through inspection. so i don't know what to do! might just say hell with it and do the 3" BL
So, with 33s, you'll sit 1/2" higher than with the current 32s. That'll put you at 24", so a 2" body lift would me the max, can also do 1.5":
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ft.shtml#GenII

And that is plenty for 33x12.50s:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

Quick Reply: body lift question