Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bleeder-Dude's Official 22re Engine Rebuild Thread - TONS OF PICTURES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
OH MAN!!!
It sounds almost as good as it looks!
Great work. Greatest thread ever!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAMNNNN! That sounds sick, especially when you twist the throttle What kind of muffler do you have again? I forgot it was sooo many pages ago.

Seriously good job man!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, except for that alignment, yikes! Mines going in tomorrow and I should have it running tuesday.

Last edited by 854x4; 08-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Pimp! Glad to see its up and running. Looks mint.

p.s thats a fancy spark plug wire holder, where did you get it??

p.p.s paint the brake booster!!!11one
Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Pimp! Glad to see its up and running. Looks mint.

p.s thats a fancy spark plug wire holder, where did you get it??

p.p.s paint the brake booster!!!11one
X2 on the booster..lol

When i seen that pic my eye went directly to that cause it stuck out like a sore thumb in that nice engine bay...lol

Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Awesome....did ya sleep in it last night?
Great video too....extremely jealous!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 PM

good job sir!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FANTASTIC. Looks good. That red on the engine is real red in the video (I like it).
Sounds good. Runs good. Great thread. Thanks again for everything you detailed.
Congrats.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
okay okay okay, I guess I'm going to have to so something about that booster, lmao

Thanks everyone for all the compliments it means a lot after putting so much working and time into it

found the first problem today, but not with the engine

remember I said I'd need an idler arm brace soon with the new suspention setup? well I didn't think it would be THIS soon

I went to pull out of my drive way, and I turned the wheel and heard a "POP"... all I could think was "wth?". So I cylced the wheel side to side a few times, and it would do it every time... I got to looking around looking for rub marks, and I found the culprit

Name:  IMG_3733800x600.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3738800x600.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3737800x600.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3740800x600.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  79.5 KB

not really a HUGE issue... I quick run up to the parts store, and $90 later, I had a replacment to bolt on, lol. Not the design that'll take the brace unfortunately but I think the reason the old one bent so fast was the ride without the aligment, and the toe facing in put a bunch of pressure on it...

Name:  IMG_3741800x600.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  74.2 KB

I took it down to have it aligned today, and got the dumbest freek'n guy there to work on the thing But I know a guy that works there; he use to be a regular customer of mine back when I worked at Advance Auto Parts, and he know's his stuff, so I'm going to call up there tomorrow and see if he's working, and if he is, then I'm going to drive up there and have him PERSONALLY align it... The guy that messed with it today just would not listen to me... I drove it in there, and told him "Hey the front still sitting a little low, so can we turn the torsion bars a little and raise it up, and then do the alignment", but he didn't want to listen to me, plus he did a half-ass job with the aligment and didn't even get the steering wheel straig...
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Bummer about the idler. I had a Downey brace on mine for the longest time and a couple months ago I replaced all the front end stuff. All Moog, and the idler was like the one you have. I was kinda pissed but looking and comparing it seems a little beefier to me. Seems to be holding up pretty well but I kept the old idler w/brace just in case!!

That is ridiculous about the alignment!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
congrats bleeder, sounds sweet. Did you ever add a hi flow cat?

Oh, BTW update the sig........ The rebuild is complete!!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
congrats bleeder, sounds sweet. Did you ever add a hi flow cat?

Oh, BTW update the sig........ The rebuild is complete!!
haha, high flow as there's not one on it

yeah I know, I need a new sig now, lol
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 PM

lol good job bleeder it looks good
on a side note when you said that you blocked off most of the emmisions stuff like the pipe on the header will it really affect how the truck runs? and will it create problems down the road?

bummer about the alignmet tho
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Nice work man! that thing looks and sounds great!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 PM

awesome job sport.. that thing is mean. so the cam and all works out pretty good ah?

i wanted to know how you liked the power out put. i think i'll be going with that cam set up myself pretty soon. i have an extra head laying about, thinking a lil work with that too.. that with a header.. ohh hell watch out..hahaha

again great job
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

this rain is really annoying me... I need to get outside and polish the timing settings, lol

so yesterday I took it BACK up to the aligment shop after installing the new idler arm, and boy do I have a story about that

Okay, so I installed the new idler arm and knew that the tow was going to be out right away. So after installing it, I went ahead and put a few turns on the torsion bars to level out the truck, something I REPEATEDLY asked the guy to do who was doing the alignment on Sunday... His responce every time was "Well if I do that, it's going to throw your camber off badly in the direction they are already leaning, and there's no more adjustment that way to begin with". What he wouldn't get through his thick skull was the fact that the new longer UCA's would actually REVERSE that angle if the suspention dropped a little... so he set it "the best that he could"... the camber and caster were both off, not to mention the steering wheel was all screwed up... soooo, I drove right back up there after work yesterday and asked if I could have someone else look at it. The guy said "Sure, no problem, I'll get my best guy to look at it; I don't want you to have to bring the truck back up here again for this", to which I replied "well I don't want to have to come back up here for this, so at least we're both on the same page", lol. About 10 minutes later, I watch this, what had to be 16 or 17 year old kid walk out to my truck, my keys in one hand, and a paper floor mat in the other. All I could think was "you've got to be kidding me..." So after getting in the truck, I notice after about 45 seconds after the door shuts, that it still hasn't started up, and the brake lights keep coming on and going off, and coming on and going off... so I start to walk up to the truck, at which point the kid rolls the window down and says, word for word, "Hey bro, where's the e-brake at in this thing?"... me... "look to the right of the steering wheel... okay, now look down... OMG THERE IT IS!"... And so after fiddling with it for another 15 seconds or so, lol, he says "Hey is there some crazy trick to turn it off?" and I'm just thinking, oh my god you've got to be kidding me... I just reply "lean over and unlock the passenger side door..." I pop my hand in there and say, as I show him, "Pull a little and press in this little button here on the back, turn it roughly 90 degree clockwise, and then HOLY CRAP IT PUSHES IN AND RELEASES!"... he just laughs and say "oh okay, that makes sence"... more sence than he apparently had... But that's not the best part... the best part came when he went to back out of the parking spot I had parked the truck in... let's just say I think he broke my new clutch in for me... Backing out, he stalled it not once, not twice, but 3, count em THREE TIMES, just backing up... He puts it in first, and apparently he at least knew he had to hit the gas a little to get it moving forward, cause I heard to engine rev to probably 4k, and watched it slowly creep forward for about 5 feet or so, then then the tires cherp and the truck bounces and bucks forward... at which point my jaw just dropped and I shook my head, all while kinda angry at the fact that I'm actually watching this happen... I promply walked around to the other side of the shop where they pull the vehicles in and up on the rack for an alinment, and watched him stall it out ANOTHER 4 TIMES JUST APPROACHING THE BAY!!! I had to speak up then, and I walked up to the window and said "Okay either I'm going to pull the truck up on the rack, or someone else here that KNOWS how to drive a manual is going to, because no offence to you, but I REALLY don't feel comfortable letting you drive my truck... sorry... bro". So another guy walks over and says to the kid "what the problem boy, you can't drive a stick-shift? what kinda man are you?" I just laughed, lol. Apparently, my truck was the first manual this kid has EVER attempted to drive... yeah, that didn't make me happy... a project that was JUST completed and is still breaking in a motor and clutch, and not to mention took over $2000 to do, is NOT the vehicle to learn to drive a stick-shift in... So this other guy hops in, starts the truck, and pulls it right in no problem. Okay, on to the alignment. They get everything set up, and I walk into the shop to watch, cause at this point I'm watching these people like a hawk... The mechanic the guy put on the job of the alignment really seemed to know what he was talking about, so that much made me happy. "You've got some modifications to this suspention I see, and wow that motor's clean!" lol, I was just like "Yeah, thus the reason for an alignment, and that motor's got about 100 miles on it " He says "well it looks like everything's screwed up; you're caster, camber, and tow are all WAY off, but I'll take care of ya man; this isn't my first Toy" That right there made me happy so I just stepped back and watched as he got everything set up PERFECT on the screen of the alinment machine, and got the steering wheel dead centered. He got all finished, pulled the truck around to the front, at which point I just had to shake that man's hand and give him a tip It's good to find someone every once in a while that actually KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING

So now the truck rides like a dream

I got ahold of engnbldr about the timing and AFM adjustments, and here's word for word those emails; it might surprise you:

--My 1st email to him:

Hi there. I recently puchased a Street RV head and a 261 cam for my 22re I was building and installed into my 91 Pickup. Everything is put together and running now, but I was curious to what you could suggest for timing and adjustments to the AFM?

Aside from your head with oversized valves and cam shaft, the motor is 30 over, has a header and cat-back kit, and is soon to get a less restrictive intake tube, but the intake manifold and throttle body are otherwise stock, aside for a few capped off vacuum lines after removing air injection and EGR systems.

Thank you so much, you guys produce some good quality products!

Travis

---and the responce to that email (about 5 minutes later I might add )

Hi!
You should need no AFM adjustments, this is very rare that we see that required.
Some see a benefit of one to two added degrees of advance, so around 6-7 degrees baseline timing is normally adequate.
Thanks,
Ted(engnbldr)

--to which I replied:

Wow, thanks for the fast response! I will try that out right away. I have heard from other's that after installing a higher flowing head and exhaust that a minor adjustment is needed to the AFM to richen the mixture to keep from a lean running condition after allowing more air flow, but my thoughts were that if there was more air flow, then the flap would just open more and still send the right amount of fuel for the mixture to be right, but that's why I was double checking with you!

Thank you so much again!

Travis

--and of caurse, he promplty resonded with:

Hi!
We found from testing that the AFM can easily compensate, the conditions where it cannot either have other massive mods, or something else is wrong.
The best we have been able to do and still keep the engine street drivable is about 85% of capacity, so there should normally be no changes required.
Thanks again!!
Ted(engnbldr)

So I put my AFM back to stock, as I had is set a little to richen the mixture, and MAN the the torque open up more at about mid throttle! I might play around with it just a tad after setting the timing just right, if this freek'n rain will ever stop , but at stock setting, it seems to be pretty good right now!

So far everything's going really good with it! I was a little worried after hearing all the stories of rebuilds and massive amounts of oil consumption, or water getting into the oil right away afte the rebuild, ot hearing a knock right away... But this thing hasn't burnt ANY oil that I can tell after 200 miles! I can every-so-slightly smell it, but I can't see it, and the level is staying put on the dip stick! The cooling system is REALLY kick'n some @$$! I sat at idle with the AC on for about 15 minutes today on my luch break to see how well it would work, and the gauge stayed pegged right in the middle The exhaust note is noticably a deeper tone then it was before, and sounds GREAT reverberating under an overpass The clutch feels really great, although I may need to adjust it out just a tad at the pedal to get it where I want it. The 130amp alternator I scored off eBay is working absolutly amazingly! I took it down and had it testing in the truck while it was running, and had the headlights and fog lighs on, the AC on, and the electric fan on, and at idle it was putting out 13.8v! so I'd say it's a winner, so long as it lasts. I have been having some issues with the starter, but it's probably just the brushes in it. The starter's a lifetime waranteed reman, so I might just try swapping it out with a new one if the problem persist.

All in all, I am EXTREMELY happy with the turnout, and I'm very proud of myself personally, for this is my first 22re rebuild. The responces I've been getting after showing it off both to you guys here on the forum, as well as family members, the guys at the parts stores, and even my coworkers, have really made me feel good about all the hard work and long hours I put into making the motor what it is, and I cannot thank you guys and girls enough for all the support and compliments!

I see this motor taking me a good distance into the futur with everything that I replaced in the process

Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Awesome man!!! There's nothing more satisfying than a project that meets or exceeds your expectations!!!! You've done an EXCELLENT writeup, research and product testing!!! Thank you for your time and dedication to this thread and your project!!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hey look a happy ending...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!

Bleeder...post #819

1st of all i've was re-reading your thread (got to page 5 and the kids want to go outside), thought i'd skip to the end to see what was new........HOY CRAP!!

that will be some early morning reading.....and i will probably go blind reading it too....JEEZ!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
That's sweet!!! I'm glad it finally all came together for you!! A bit of cash some blood sweat and tears and stellar determination. Way to go!!!

Quick Reply: Bleeder-Dude's Official 22re Engine Rebuild Thread - TONS OF PICTURES!!!