Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bleeder-Dude's Official 22re Engine Rebuild Thread - TONS OF PICTURES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
ooooh, I forgot to mention my OTHER change in plans...

I'm probably going with engnbldr for most of my rebuild parts now

Name:  list.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  156.0 KB

I just noticed that for some reason I didn't add the wrist pin bushings to that list

but maybe, and I'll have to call up engnbldr on this unless someone here can say they do, the piston set will come with new bushings? I'm sure they come with new pins and locks at least...
Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engnbldr is where it is at!

He has full master kits with cams for your engine on e-bay that will have everything instead of going build a kit since you going new everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

you can check out his E-bay store and see all the other goodies he has packaged up!

I am putting in a significant order tommorrow morning for some cool goodies for my 20r/22r hybrid.

I have ran his 85-95 performance pro head with the torker cam and I'll tell you its a great combo! get ready to accelarate on those highway hills with oversized tires.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
Engnbldr is where it is at!

He has full master kits with cams for your engine on e-bay that will have everything instead of going build a kit since you going new everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

you can check out his E-bay store and see all the other goodies he has packaged up!

I am putting in a significant order tommorrow morning for some cool goodies for my 20r/22r hybrid.

I have ran his 85-95 performance pro head with the torker cam and I'll tell you its a great combo! get ready to accelarate on those highway hills with oversized tires.
thank-ya! that's good news to hear about a product I'm about to buy
Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not trying to detract from your endeavour, bleeder...

I sprayed and fine sanded and buffed the paint off the letters with a dremel.

Didn't see much benefit in a clear coat since they tend to opaque with heat.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Didn't see much benefit in a clear coat since they tend to opaque with heat.
we'll see; it's only 4 bolts away from a sand and repaint if it started turning bad looking, lol

thanks for the tip/heads-up though
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I painted my valve cover exactly the same, except I smeared a thin layer of grease over all of the letters. Once the paint dried completely I just wiped the grease off the letters
The following users liked this post:
rustyg (06-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rusche
I painted my valve cover exactly the same, except I smeared a thin layer of grease over all of the letters. Once the paint dried completely I just wiped the grease off the letters
Great Idea !!

Bleeder that cover looks sweeet!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rusche
no lie, I thought about doing that in the middle of applying the coat of primer, lol

how did it come out?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me next, good work
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
bug you again about that coolant plug!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Outsane
bug you again about that coolant plug!
lmao, bro I'm sorry

next time I run up to the parts store for supplies I'll bring it with me to see if I can't measure it out
Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

OMG...

so I switched machine shops after calling the first one (the guy was really rude, and to me, it came off like he thought I was some dumb teenager try'n to rice out a 4cyl...), soooo, I asked around and did some searching, and there's one closer to me anyhow

it's a speed-shop, so they charge a little more, but I've actually heard of them before from other people, and they have a good rep; plus the guy I talked to was really straight forward and actually SOUNDED like he was interested in my business, lol

When I called them on the phone today and talked to them about bringing my crank and block up there to get the block hot-tanked, decked, bored, honed, and the crank turned or possible just polished, and the wrist pins pushed into the cylinders and rods, and he said that it's a possible 2-week turn-around time after I get the goods to them!

I need to go ahead and get my pistions in so I can get them the stuff

but the guy was really cool, and he sounds honest at least; I asked him about line-honing for the crank, which I honestly thought would be necessary, he was like "well if you didn't spin a bearing, there's really no reason to... that service alone is $110, so if you don't need it, that's better for you. but bring your caps and bolts and we'll measure and make sure"
Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good call on switchin shops! I hate it when other people treat you like crap because you are young and they think they can get away with it.

The other day i went in to schwabe to price tires, the person behind the desk was very rude to me and acted like she had better things to do (i was the only person in there). Long story short, I called her out on being rude to me and I talked to the manager about it.

Now hurry up and get your stuff to the shop. hahha.

Last edited by Tubbyfatty; 05-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Good call on switchin shops! I hate it when other people treat you like crap because you are young and they think they can get away with it.

The other day i went in to schwabe to price tires, the person behind the desk was very rude to me and acted like she had better things to do (i was the only person in there). Long story short, I called her out on being rude to me and I talked to the manager about it.

Now hurry up and get your stuff to the shop. hahha.
well even in my teen years, I don't think I was obnoxious like a lot of my friends were lol

but I'm 22 now, I still look like I'm maybe 17, lol... ok, and I occationally act like it too

BUT, I just placed an order with engnbldr for $347 that covers the gasket set, pistons, rings, wrist-pin bushings, timing kit, new timing cover, oil pump, brass freeze plug kit, and head bolts!

Depending on how quickly he ships out, I can MAYBE have the stuff in the machine shop by this weekend

next order will be for the head and cam (that's another $585), and then an LCE order for a few goodies like the block-off plates, and some "look-goods" like the plug-wire bracket, polished oil cap, and a little 6" "LCE" sticker for the tool-box lid you didn't think I was going to rebuild it and leave it stock looking, were you?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

holy crap, engnbldr already e-mailed me back and said everything's getting shipped tomorrow, lol

Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Apparently that shop doesnt need your money so they can pound salt. I had my motor done by a speed shop and the guys there were awesome. Glad you called around! I think mine took about two weeks, but they were pretty backlogged though. I had my crank turned, but that was cause of my #1 rod bearing spinning.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Apparently that shop doesnt need your money so they can pound salt. I had my motor done by a speed shop and the guys there were awesome. Glad you called around! I think mine took about two weeks, but they were pretty backlogged though. I had my crank turned, but that was cause of my #1 rod bearing spinning.
yeah he said they were pretty busy, which to be honest that kinda surprised me considering the state of our economy

but at the same rate, I'm glad to hear they have so much business at this time, cause that means people are putting their trust in them and using them
Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Indeed, but really, people still have hobbies or D/D's that HAVE to be maintained. Sounds like the place is GTG though!! I got a free shirt and stickers with my purchase!!! LOL!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

hell yeah, I'm always down for free clothes and decals

I sport my Jame's Dean Creations and Toyota Truck Nation High Miler Club T-shirt all the time and the underside of the lid of my toolbox is slowly becoming an aftermarket brand-name collage, lol
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Shoooot you should see all the "advertisement" on my cap, tailgate and bug gaurd!! I'm about to put my ADDICTED OFFROAD decal on the front end of the hood!!! lol!!

Quick Reply: Bleeder-Dude's Official 22re Engine Rebuild Thread - TONS OF PICTURES!!!