86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bj spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know a place?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM

I ran the 1.5 bjspacer and a 4 inch bracket lift (so does a friend of mine) We wheel hard and in the time i ran it i NEVER had a problem related to either part. Steering parts broke a lot due to my tire size but the lift worked great and flexed amazing for what it was. I ran 36's and my buddy runs 38.5's and the only issue is steering parts...Being from HI i dont see a big tire under the truck...Heres some flex pics with Tbars relaxed.

Run the stock droop bumpstop so the CV doesnt pop out and brake and shorten the compression stop so you can really stuff the tire. It will ride so nice you will want to change the rear suspension
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vwfastg60
I ran the 1.5 bjspacer and a 4 inch bracket lift (so does a friend of mine) We wheel hard and in the time i ran it i NEVER had a problem related to either part. Steering parts broke a lot due to my tire size but the lift worked great and flexed amazing for what it was. I ran 36's and my buddy runs 38.5's and the only issue is steering parts...Being from HI i dont see a big tire under the truck...Heres some flex pics with Tbars relaxed.

Run the stock droop bumpstop so the CV doesnt pop out and brake and shorten the compression stop so you can really stuff the tire. It will ride so nice you will want to change the rear suspension
And just when I think I've got a concrete idea of where I want to go with my 4runner build someone posts up pictures like this...........
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look CLOSELY....
looks like a ripped inner boot on the right side (left side on the pic), no?

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-08-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Look CLOSELY....

looks like a ripped inner boot on the right side (left side on the pic), no?
How in the hell did you spot that?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
nunno... it just sort of jumped out at me when I looked at it. the ribs on the boot didn't look right.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:05 PM

i saw that to. welllll i finally did it!! i just installed my bj spacers yesterday. the first side took me about two hours to get the idea and get the hang of everything. the second side took me about an hour. the cutting was the most time consuming part. i didnt want to cut too much so it took me a while. i like it though. i have the same height when my torsion bars were maxed with the ride quality of stock. but im thinking of taking out my downey torsions and putting in stock ones. the downeys are a little stiff. any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88

Right away I looked at the cv joint angles and I noticed what appears to be a ripped boot.

Good eye Abe
Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuapc
but im thinking of taking out my downey torsions and putting in stock ones. the downeys are a little stiff. any suggestions?
Yeah, stock, OEM or Toyota- they all work great!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Right away I looked at the cv joint angles and I noticed what appears to be a ripped boot.

Good eye Abe
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Matt16
Originally Posted by joshuapc
but im thinking of taking out my downey torsions and putting in stock ones. the downeys are a little stiff. any suggestions?
Yeah, stock, OEM or Toyota- they all work great!

anyhow, if you're jumping the truck or carrying some heavy bumper, plow or big engine the uprated bars would be a better choice but stock/OEM/Toyota (as Matt16 puts it) are plenty fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM

well the main reason i want to take out those torsions is to drop my front end a little. after i did the spacer the front end sits a little higher than the rear. i figure remove the downey torsion and replacing it with a stock torsion will lower my front end and also make it softer. if not im going to have to lift the rear end an inch or two.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Instead of changing the T-bars out why don't you relax them a little to get the ride height where you want it (level) and drive it for a while. It might soften up the ride for you and it's easier than swaping T-bars.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Insane. I'm sure you go through CV's like underwear and steering components the same, but that looks awesome. Do you have a build thread or more pics of that setup?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 PM

well i just got my truck back from the alignment shop at my dads workplace and they fixed all my problems!!! the mechanic was able to crank the torsion bars down more than i did and aligned it better than i ever would. everythings all great and i love the new ride quality. same height as before with just a much smoother ride!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same setup on my 89 4runner (spacers + 4" lift) and it flexed really well too. Actually, I added air shocks to the front and backed of the torsions even more and it flexed better than these pics which are pretty darn good.

Frank
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM

Just to chime in, I love my BJ spacers and I'm going to be making a diff drop soon. Trucks been sitting for a while since my tranny went kaput so I used the time to do all kinds of stuff like add another tranny cooler, seal my oil pan and do a villager fan swap (among other things) and I was going to put a diff drop in but money goes quick when rebuilding a transmission so I'm just going to make my own. I never cranked my torsion bars (scratch that, I cranked the driver's side up half an inch because it was sagging) and the ride is amazing and contrary to what most people say, I like the ride of the stock torsion bars with my Warn bumper and 9.5ti. The front end actually likes to move now whereas before it would seem too stiff unless I was really haulin' ass. Once the torsion bars really start to wear out I'll replace them with OME's because I'm not nice to my old lady . I did have to shim my shocks and upper bumpstops but only because the shocks were way too short, not because the CV's were binding.

Just wondering, how's the ride with the downey torsions and stock front end (no winch bumper, winch, etc)