Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ball joint spacers for lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx

IF IT TURNS OUT THE NEW LEAFS AND SHACKLES ARE TOO HIGH IN BACK, what else can you do for more height in the front other than cranking the t-bars back up again? (besides SAS)
Bracket lift for the ifs. Consider the downside. If donot brace the frame you stand a good chance of bending it. But thats only if you wheel if you don't ever wheel don't sweat it, and don't worry about cv axle angles. If you never lock in the front hubs they will never turn so run them at any angle.

I wheel an IFS.

If you put new springs in the rear, don't go getting excited if as soon as you let the jack down the rear sits to high. Spring settle to ride height in about a month with street driving but quicker with wheeling.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunner
Wow I came in a weird forum
So clean it up.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
Some people don't rock crawl, some of us like to go fast and hit jumps..
not go 1-2 miles per hour and power over a rock.
Jumped the 84 yesterday. It was an accident, but it landed smooth and nothing's broken.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
WTF do you want the truck for? Several of the know it alls have posted up but for what? If you never go off road you can point the CV's straight to the ground. If you wheel over 22* will cause problems regaurdless what the futards say. Check with Toyota not an asshat.
Beg pardon?
I think *this* know-it-all / futard / asshat already suggested some things here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51279278
And so sweet of you to talk down on everyone yet not offer any solution or suggestion of your own, other than "Check with Toyota...".
... and I mean that respectably, respectfully speaking.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmearse
Jumped the 84 yesterday. It was an accident, but it landed smooth and nothing's broken.
ifs just seems to jump better though, y'know?
all the buggies have IFS.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Not the buggies we saw last night at wagon wheel. One was 3RZ powered, another with a 4.0 H.O.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Beg pardon?
I think *this* know-it-all / futard / asshat already suggested some things here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51279278
And so sweet of you to talk down on everyone yet not offer any solution or suggestion of your own, other than "Check with Toyota...".
... and I mean that respectably, respectfully speaking.
Abe: I'm not trying to offend you but seriously how many times have you responded to a post on lift or tire size? So please don't insult my intelligence with a post that the original poster could of search for in the first place. Furthermore you only go the factory 22* to deal with anyway ( and yes a little over won't harm anythin in most cases) so if it you feel an asshat that you feel yourself right in compared to the engineers of the truck than honestly if the shoes fits. Get over it man, if the trucks a wheeler pound the pinch welds down, and put a little crank on the t-bars. If that don't do it than cowboy up and search a little (Marlin's tech section) and clearance the floor boards. Dude the truck is as it was manufactored and as you alter it you will find issues with the original design.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM

@ muddpigg: That almost made sense.
A post the OP could've searched for? The post I linked was my reply to the OP. Not sure how the OP was supposed to search for my reply before I post it. But anyways... Pounding pinch welds is for those that don't have the notion to do it right.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-15-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 PM

@ muddpigg: That almost made sense.
A post the OP could've searched for? The post I linked was my reply to the OP. Not sure how the OP was supposed to search for my reply before I post it. But anyways... Pounding pinch welds is for those that don't have the notion to do it right.
What? and you say i almost make sense. Then why post a link to your future self? Are you Nostrodamas or something? Hey if your solution to lift is taken the CV's past the max angle their designed for go for it, I've seen it done shoot I even know what will happen. And you wonder why I called some an asshat.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
to the guy who said he saw an SAS buggy, I don't know one pro 4WD desert or KORE racer that runs SAS. You find one post it here. To the OP, I dont have any one mine ye, but been thinking about them as well. I'm not a crawler, but the obstacles and such I would like to clear a little better when on stock suspension and now lift, they seem to be the way to go, however, like some of the other posters, the BJ spacers were not really meant for extra lift, they were meant for extra travel with relaxed torsions. I would be curious to see what people's thoughts on BJ spacers coupled with a set of softer aftermarket torsions.

As for the SAS debate, I've always said SAS for crawlers, Long travel for the high speed guys, lets see someone take the added weight of an sas front end into the air and see how fast he brakes his front axle or how fast he can face plant the truck into the dirt and fly though the windshield.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-16-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pounding pinch welds is for those that don't have the notion to do it right.
I'm not sure if that was supposed to read as it does. If that was a typo, then disregard. However, pounding the pinch weld and/or cutting the floor IS actually how you do it right. Especially with IFS, but also with SAS trucks. The goal in any type of offroading is to keep the truck as low as possible while stuffing the biggest possible tire under there. You want a low COG, and lots of clearance under the diffs. The more you can cut out of the body, the better off you are.

IFS works a LOT better when the factory geometry is retained. Axles stay together, and so does steering.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
like some of the other posters, the BJ spacers were not really meant for extra lift, they were meant for extra travel with relaxed torsions. I would be curious to see what people's thoughts on BJ spacers coupled with a set of softer aftermarket torsions.
IIRC, the guy who first put these out intended them for a small lift, with travel being the added benefit. To be honest, I haven't really noticed the travel. The ride is improved slightly.

As for spacers coupled with aftermarket torsions, thats what I have. Its okay. All aftermarket torsion bars are stiffer than stock, and are made for heavy front bumpers and winches. I have a heavy front bumper, and skid plate, so mine keep the truck from bottoming out on the highway. I think they are okay. Certainly no coilover, but better than stock.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
to the guy who said he saw an SAS buggy, I don't know one pro 4WD desert or KORE racer that runs SAS. You find one post it here. To the OP, I dont have any one mine ye, but been thinking about them as well. I'm not a crawler, but the obstacles and such I would like to clear a little better when on stock suspension and now lift, they seem to be the way to go, however, like some of the other posters, the BJ spacers were not really meant for extra lift, they were meant for extra travel with relaxed torsions. I would be curious to see what people's thoughts on BJ spacers coupled with a set of softer aftermarket torsions.

As for the SAS debate, I've always said SAS for crawlers, Long travel for the high speed guys, lets see someone take the added weight of an sas front end into the air and see how fast he brakes his front axle or how fast he can face plant the truck into the dirt and fly though the windshield.
I was waiting for someone to jump the gun on that one. What was said was Buggy, but not what type. Rock buggys baby! oh yeah! Everyone needs to relax, we are all here for one common reason, toyota. There has been wayyyyyyy to much tension on the boards lately. Cant we all just get along? seriously.

Here is a pro-buggy.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Bracket lift for the ifs. Consider the downside. If donot brace the frame you stand a good chance of bending it. But thats only if you wheel if you don't ever wheel don't sweat it, and don't worry about cv axle angles. If you never lock in the front hubs they will never turn so run them at any angle.

I wheel an IFS.

If you put new springs in the rear, don't go getting excited if as soon as you let the jack down the rear sits to high. Spring settle to ride height in about a month with street driving but quicker with wheeling.
aw man, that's not an option at this time. minimum of $600 for a full on 4" bracket lift kit is beyond what i need to do.

my 4wd'in consists of fire access trails, a little mud, and some beach.
i'm just worried i'm going to be too high in the rear. the shackles i have are 5" pin to pin. i don't know what size stock is, because i currently have 9" pin to pin to level the flat stock leafs. i'm expecting to t-crank back up, and hoping i don't have to go too far, else i'm going to have to swap these shackles.

to settle my leafs quicker, i think i'm going to borrow a trailer and drive around for a few days. that should do it, don't you think?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Not the buggies we saw last night at wagon wheel. One was 3RZ powered, another with a 4.0 H.O.

his response to this was for jump ability, and I am almost certain he was talking about pre-runners (which yes most are 2WD) however desert trucks etc do have a 4WD bracket. None of which use SAS. All of which are probably running 35-38's and hardly any lift other than what the tires give them. Fender clearance issues are addressed by using larger wheel opening and flared sides.

Personally, i feel anyone who's suggestion to SAS anything without asking why someone needs the lift and what they want to accomplish is just plain ignorant in thinking that everyone is wanting some sort of lift because they want to crawl.

Also to the O.P. the 5" shackles I believe will not give 5" of lift, maybe more like 1 1/2 -2 if that. I think if your stocks are 3" and you go to 5" thats only a 2" difference in which some of the difference go towards spring flex and not lift, because the shackles do not sit completely verticle.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this is true, i hadn't considered the angle of the shackle with the new arched spring. also, i will need a rear tire carrier eventually, so extra weight will eventually soak up any extra boost. there's no spare on the back right now, and i have that aluminum foil stock rear bumper still. thanx for the reminder!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by surferkid26
first off what the hell happend to my thread? haha
second i am a starving college kid with low funding especially after buying a toyota gasket set(damn you 3.0 exhaust headers downey needs to come back in business so i can get some CA legal exhaust headers) so sas isnt an option and i like IFS
third i mostly off road at occotillo wells and up in the mountains so nothing too gnarly just need a little taller so i can get over sand washes and stuff like that easier
fourth 3 girls said my rig would look better a little bit taller
College kid, with a red 3.slow, from San Marcos that wheels ocotillo alot... Nick? If so I met you in ocotillo on new years last year. I totaled my truck out there...
Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Scuba!!! where have you been?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Scuba!!! where have you been?
Somewhere between here, here, And the local trail system. With some school, work, and other crap in between.

I'll get back to your visitor message soon
Old 11-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I have an IFS, i am gonna do an IFS swap anyway.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear everybody say SAS all the time and it drives me nuttz! no need for it... and a REAL ROCK CRALWER wouldnt have a SA either.....! They would have front and rear I.S...

so i would be able to clear 33's with a 1.5" BJ lift, and a 1" body lift.... or will i have to SAS it....? I hope not that sounds like alot of work...

Quick Reply: ball joint spacers for lift?