86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strap22
The fronts are #N92.....
Are you sure about this #? I checked a couple places and they say that the P/N is N98. N92 is supposedly for a 60 series LandCruiser and has softer valving than the N98. Just wondering if that was a typo.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PAhydrohead
Since I have no idea if the axle went back in the position it came out from is this a problem??
I would think you'd be alright. Unless you're missing the C-clip holding the axle to the tripod joint (which I doubt), the only thing that can slip out is the tripod joint. In order to pull out the tripod joint and stuff it back in at a different location, you'd have to rotate the thing 120 deg. The clamps and the boots won't allow that much rotation and you're really really have to force the thing to rotated 120 deg.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to ask, but I was playin around and stuck some cruiser coils in the back about 2 days ago. When I take any measurements everything works out fine, but if you look at the truck from the rear it looks higher on the pass. side. Has anyone else had this problem? Sorry, I don't want to hijack just had this question and happened to see this thread with some knowledgable folks
Old 01-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
I would think you'd be alright. Unless you're missing the C-clip holding the axle to the tripod joint (which I doubt), the only thing that can slip out is the tripod joint. In order to pull out the tripod joint and stuff it back in at a different location, you'd have to rotate the thing 120 deg. The clamps and the boots won't allow that much rotation and you're really really have to force the thing to rotated 120 deg.
Just had a chance to look at the shop manual and I agree that the tripod and driveshaft must have pulled out of the inboard joint intact, not the driveshaft out of the tripod as I feared. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your question. Yes it was a typo. The fronts are n98 and the rear are n72f. The springs I used are the OME901 heavy duty.

As for if I am still happy with the set-up......Yes!!!! Again I apoligize for the long over due response. Hope this helps
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

What springs did you install? Mine is starting to settle alittle now and I may swap them to see if it helps. As for right out of the box you may want to check to see if the set you installed has a right and a left. Your gas tank is on the right and it may be designed for specific sides. Just a thought. I know the OME has a right and a left. I have seen other post about sagging from one side. Do a search. Good luck.........
Old 01-11-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strap22
The fronts are #N98, the rear are N72F, The springs are OME901. And yes they are for lifted applications. You can inquire at info@TRDparts4u.com. We are an ARB, OME wholesaler as well as TRD, Toyota Dealer. The Steering Dampner for this application is #OMESD33. Hope this helps.
Are the rear N72F's long enough for use with the Cruiser coils? (3-3.5" of lift)
Old 01-11-2005, 05:51 AM

Good job on the install Bill. Where's the ARB coming from?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Alright - now I'm not convinced the OME shocks are long enough for the Cruiser coils (or the BJ spacers for that matter). All the websites that offer them show N98/F72F as the only shocks avialable for this model.

Does anyone have some actual shock measurements for the BJ spacer/cruiser coil setup?

There is an OME front shock for OME sprung Sammis P/N OME015. Also, I cross referenced Cheese's 5009's (for a mid 70's Ford F150/250) for the rear and it appears that a possible OME equivalent is either N42 or N55 (but they list these for an F100 - not sure what this is)

I'm going to call them and see if they can cross reference the Ranchos.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Good job on the install Bill. Where's the ARB coming from?
I bought it from Rocky-Road outfitters in Utah, best price I could find. They are drop shipping it direct from ARB in Seattle, WA
(just like every other company I contacted was going to do). From what I read on their website http://www.rocky-road.com they are a small company and do some cool things like fight for keeping trails, open, etc. so I figured why not help out the little guy.

Bumper is supposed to be here Thursday!

Last edited by PAhydrohead; 01-11-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Alright - now I'm not convinced the OME shocks are long enough for the Cruiser coils (or the BJ spacers for that matter). All the websites that offer them show N98/F72F as the only shocks avialable for this model.

Does anyone have some actual shock measurements for the BJ spacer/cruiser coil setup?

There is an OME front shock for OME sprung Sammis P/N OME015. Also, I cross referenced Cheese's 5009's (for a mid 70's Ford F150/250) for the rear and it appears that a possible OME equivalent is either N42 or N55 (but they list these for an F100 - not sure what this is)

I'm going to call them and see if they can cross reference the Ranchos.

Mike,

The different vendors I have spoken with in the last day or so about the OME N98s say they are for lifted applications. I was just about to order some so let me know what you find out.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:42 PM

You can't be the only one running around the 'Burgh with BJ Spacers...

Are ya sitting level with the Downey's or do you need a set of my Cruiser coils? I might have a spare set of hubs somewhere too...
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

You can't be the only one running around the 'Burgh with BJ Spacers...

Are ya sitting level with the Downey's or do you need a set of my Cruiser coils? I might have a spare set of hubs somewhere too...
Front end is now 1" higher than the back. Guess I'm going to have to ditch the Downeys and buy the Cruiser coils from you. I picked up a pair of used Aisins a while ago but one is pretty beat up. Let me know if you can dig one up in case mine doesn't work. Going to Davis Toyota tomorrow to get gaskets so I can install the manual hubs.

Still haven't installed the head unit yet.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:52 PM

Arb is faxing me an application chart (with shock lengths, not just vehicle specific P/N's). Now, if I can get this from Bilstein also, we'll be in business.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM

OK, I downloaded the Rancho lengths and when I called Bilstein, he didn't want to give it up, so need to come back to him with lengths. Bill, did you happen to take a dimension at full droop and full compression with the BL spacer installed?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I downloaded the Rancho lengths and when I called Bilstein, he didn't want to give it up, so need to come back to him with lengths. Bill, did you happen to take a dimension at full droop and full compression with the BL spacer installed?
Not yet.

Here is my plan:

In order to get full droop I will disconnect the shocks and use a floor jack in the center of the forward crossmember to lift up the font end, measure from where to where? I'm guessing center of the lower A-arm shock bracket (center of the bolt that goes through the eye of the shock) to the bottom of the upper shock mounting bracket that is welded to the frame.

How do you simulate full compression without using a ramp or something?
I could use a forklift at work and lift one of the front tires until the whole front of the truck is off the ground
Bill

Last edited by PAhydrohead; 01-11-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 PM

I'm guessing center of the lower A-arm shock bracket (center of the bolt that goes through the eye of the shock) to the bottom of the upper shock mounting bracket that is welded to the frame.
Bingo!

How do you simulate full compression without using a ramp or something? I could use a forklift at work and lift one of the front tires until the whole front of the truck is off the ground.
I think you could simulate full stuff, by jacking the rig up in the front high enough until you can support it on jackstands AND get your floorjack under a front wheel. Then jack up the front wheel until you start lifting it off of the jackstand.

With the app charts I have and the Cheese's proven setup with Ranchos, I can come up with an OME setup and I hope to find a Bil option also, but need the dims to make sure we are alll exploiting this setup to it's max.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

I would be interested to hear what your final set-up is. If I can get you any prices on anything else or specs. please let me know. We too support several Off-Road clubs and Organizations. (TTORA, TTR, TLCA )to name a few. We offer very competitive pricing and will try to meet anybody's prices. We are also a Toyota Dealer located in Dallas Tx. You can call us at 800-442-4349. Thanks, Phil
Old 01-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Phil - your price on the OME parts listed in this thread was the best I found anywhere. I'll likely try the OME's, but will be possibly getting different models. I'll let you know.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Glad to hear that. Let me know what I can do to help. BTW I miss Penna. But not the cold weather.

Quick Reply: The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread