Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need Shocks ASAP, and cant find them anywhere.

I need them for my 1995 3.0 4runner.
3 inch suspension lift.
the biggest issue is they are stud top, eye bottom mounting on all 4.

If someone could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Last edited by monst; 06-26-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 PM

http://www.trdparts4u.com/
Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 PM

ok i have a 95 runner. the rear end is sagging and im going to be lifting it soon. I looked on the TRD site, and i dont know which package to get. I know i dont want the rear spring spacers with the ome springs.

What i really want is a level truck! so i dont want to screw up

should i do sdori bjspacers with cruiser coils or ome coils or something differnt in the rea????
Old 08-13-2007, 10:37 AM

i have the BJ spacers and just put in a pair of ProComp ES3000 shocks yesterday, the model# is 318514. these shocks are for 1-4" lift, OME's on TRDparts4u are for 2". also, i have removed the anti-sway bar. i drove about 80 miles after the swap, i love it. before that, i had Rancho 5145, just too short with the spacers

the shocks are $70/pair, plus $10 for the boots at 4wheelparts.com. there maybe some better ones out there, i picked them because they have a local store close by.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM

i wanna know about the rear end though. what makes it good and level with the sdori up front
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did the LC swap on my truck tonight, BJ's to come tomorrow, few things i found.

I used the rancho RS5009, but the bottom bushing is too small, i ended up carving/drilling mine out to make it fit

The brake line seems ok in length, but i am going to get a longer one for that "Just in case" factor.

Everything went pretty darn easy, took 3hours total, fabbed up pan hard drop and lsvp bracket as well. 1 hour was trying to get the damn bushings to fit.

In the end it's net me 4" of lift! pretty good for $20 coils and $100 in shocks. Now to get the front to match up!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yota Beave
i wanna know about the rear end though. what makes it good and level with the sdori up front
Cruizer coils. Assuming you are talking about 90-95.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM

alright yea. It is a 95 runner. so i can just get the fj-80 rear coils from the dealer, install them with a different shock... i would prefer not having to drill on the bushing. And then pop the sdori bj spacers in, more or less, with a new pair of front shocks. and have a level sitting truck.

if you could post some pics, i would appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

go to ih8mud- People are unloading cruiser coils all the time over there. cheaper than the stealer
Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 AM

pm me if you need a pair of 80 coils. i have a pari needs a good home, $40 shipped to your door.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
where did elripster go? Pm'd him a few days ago, I need to order my bj spacers!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Ok guys, I just read this whole thing and spent hours following all the links.. This is some awesome info that answered 99% of my questions about the lift I want to do. Here's the one I've got left.

I've got a 1990 4unner with 31-10.5 on there. It already sits pretty high for a stock truck, and the rear really doesn't sag much at all. Maybe an inch at most when I have rear passengers.

I want to put some 1.5 bj spacers up front, I think I'm pretty solid on my info there. I'm just wondering what to go with in the rear. I think the LC (? are LC and FJ80 coils the same?) coils are going to be too much of a lift in the rear. I originally wanted to go with downey coils in the rear to bring it up, and throw the 1.5 bjs in the front.

Also, when it is stated that replacement rear coils will lift your truck 5" or so.. is someone meaning that it will take 2-3" out of the sag and then give an additional 2-3"? Or does it just mean that it will give 5" lift from stock height w/o sag?

I think that is where my confusion was coming from. If OME or LC springs will give me 5" from stock, that will be too much since I'm only going up 1.5" in the front. But if Downeys will take out my inch of sag and only give another inch lift, they might still be a tad low in the back if I lift the front 1.5".

I would ideally like to end up with lifting the front 1.5" and having the rear set about 1/2" higher under no load.

Am I making any sense? Ha, thanks in advance guys.

Edit: It looks like downey says that their coils only lift 1.5". So that means they'd probably be a bit short. Would OME coils work better for me?

Last edited by devldogs55; 10-10-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by devldogs55
Ok guys, I just read this whole thing and spent hours following all the links.. This is some awesome info that answered 99% of my questions about the lift I want to do. Here's the one I've got left.

I've got a 1990 4unner with 31-10.5 on there. It already sits pretty high for a stock truck, and the rear really doesn't sag much at all. Maybe an inch at most when I have rear passengers.

I want to put some 1.5 bj spacers up front, I think I'm pretty solid on my info there. I'm just wondering what to go with in the rear. I think the LC (? are LC and FJ80 coils the same?) coils are going to be too much of a lift in the rear. I originally wanted to go with downey coils in the rear to bring it up, and throw the 1.5 bjs in the front.

Also, when it is stated that replacement rear coils will lift your truck 5" or so.. is someone meaning that it will take 2-3" out of the sag and then give an additional 2-3"? Or does it just mean that it will give 5" lift from stock height w/o sag?

I think that is where my confusion was coming from. If OME or LC springs will give me 5" from stock, that will be too much since I'm only going up 1.5" in the front. But if Downeys will take out my inch of sag and only give another inch lift, they might still be a tad low in the back if I lift the front 1.5".

I would ideally like to end up with lifting the front 1.5" and having the rear set about 1/2" higher under no load.

Am I making any sense? Ha, thanks in advance guys.

Edit: It looks like downey says that their coils only lift 1.5". So that means they'd probably be a bit short. Would OME coils work better for me?
This is my EXACT situation.

I'm thinking about using the LC coils just because they can be had for cheap, then I can do BJ spacer up front, new shocks all around and have a capable trail-rig with no sag.

My question is, Do I need a panhard drop bracket when I go to LC coils?

Last edited by Andini326; 10-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Andini326
This is my EXACT situation.

I'm thinking about using the LC coils just because they can be had for cheap, then I can do BJ spacer up front, new shocks all around and have a capable trail-rig with no sag.

My question is, Do I need a panhard frop bracket when I go to LC coils?
My opinion is YES, you should. Even with the drop bracket my dshaft still hits my tank on really good flex when the drivers side wheel drops out from under the truck. For the extra 50 bucks or whatever, I say do it.
Without the drop bracket the axle will sit that much further to the right, causing it to be even closer to the tank.
Edit: in this pic with the drivers side dropped like it is I could hear my dshaft scrubbing on the tank/skid.

Last edited by Twinkie; 10-17-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Twinkie,

Thanks for the quick reply, what size tire do you have, what shocks did you end up with and do you have any rubbing when you're flexed?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Twinkie,

Thanks for the quick reply, what size tire do you have, what shocks did you end up with and do you have any rubbing when you're flexed?
It's all in my signature, 33x12.5 Truxus MT's (about 50% worn now after 3 years on the Jeep and then the Runner), Skyjacker Nitro's (only thing I could find up here in a hurry (aka in stock) that would fit) and the only rubbing I have is the dshaft against the tank on full left side droop. I also have a 2" body lift, which was in long before the LC coils, it'll probably be removed at some point, or switch up to 34-35" Truxus.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM

The fronts are n98 and the rear are n72f

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to do the rear FJ80 coils front BJ spacer lift in a couple of weeks. A question - are you all running a panhard drop bracket in the rear like the one 4crawler makes?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Twinkie:

What skyjacker shock number did you use up front? did you put N8056's all the way around, or did you find something different for the front?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought I'd chime in.

I'm running the 1.5" spacers up front adjusted for 1" of lift. I have the 2" coil spacers in back and together the truck sits level but the rear spring rate is low. The rear axle is offset .75", not enough to worry about at all. I added air shocks for load capacity (so the back wouldn't sag so bad when loaded) when I need it and now I have a rear suspension that sits level, can carry heavy loads, but flexes very well. Air shocks increase load capacity without decreasing articulating (crossing up) flex like stiffer springs do. There is more body roll with the air shocks over stiffer springs but you gotta take the good (more flex) with the bad (more flex).

I am happy with the combination. It is versatile and economical.

If anyone is having issues ordering BJ or coil spacers, check out www.trdparts4u.com and www.4crawler.com as well as www.sdori.com.

Frank
Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 AM

Twinkie:

What skyjacker shock number did you use up front? did you put N8056's all the way around, or did you find something different for the front?
8052's in the front, 8056's in the back...

Quick Reply: The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread